Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Installing front licence plate holder?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 02:10 PM
Dede
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing front licence plate holder?

Greetings;

Our province does not require a front licence plate so our dealer never installed the holder on the front bumper, but he did give use the adapter (just a flat black piece of plastic, really)

Wife now wants to mount a plate (not an official licence plate). Tried to search NAM for instruction on where (and how) the plate holder should be attached to the bumper, but I'm coming up empty!

Any hints? Pointers to an older thread?

Do I have to drill the bumper? I would prefer not to if there are other options...

TIA

Old 07-16-2010, 01:02 AM
AkFarina
Banned
there is a license plate holder that threads into your tow hook spot. other than that you have to drill.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:51 AM
Dede
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by AkFarina
there is a license plate holder that threads into your tow hook spot. other than that you have to drill.
Looked into this - frankly, $50 to $70 for a tow-hook bracket seems a bit over the top...

Ok - So I checked the front bumper again, there are 2 small dimple that line up perfectly with the holes in the licence plate holder. So I will assume I will just drill in those location. Now, is there anything behind the bumper to screw in? Or just use self-tapping screws? That seems strange...

Last edited by Dede; 07-16-2010 at 09:04 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:03 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I live in a state that requires a front licence plate, but it isn't vigorously enforced. I am not putting a front plate on my Mini. I think it breaks up the look of the front end. If I have to, I'll put a tow hook mount plate holder on it, or a retractable licence plate holder.

There is a bag of screws that comes with your front licence plate frame, they just screw in to the bumper like sheet metal screws, yuk.

Don't do it!

Dave

Old 07-16-2010, 09:50 AM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Old 07-16-2010, 10:22 AM
pillar
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah.. DONT DO IT!

I too live in a state where it is not strictly enforced... I have been pulled over and paid a simple 50 dollar fine but was never re-inspected.

Buy the tow hook bracket. Its bad enough there are dimples on the front bumper to begin with...

Old 07-16-2010, 10:42 AM
redduc
3rd Gear
Please don't drill that bumper!

Old 07-16-2010, 07:15 PM
Dede
2nd Gear

Wow - now you're talking! Will look into this!

Old 07-17-2010, 07:36 PM
AkFarina
Banned
you can also put it on the flip side of your passenger sun visor and flip it down when needed.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:57 AM
bobsax
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by AkFarina
you can also put it on the flip side of your passenger sun visor and flip it down when needed.
This doesn't sound legal and I notice the guy is banned.

All the google searches for "Front Plate attachment Mini" come up with the No-Holes solution.

Seriously people, Mini's are everywhere here in the Bay Area and they all have the front plate drilled in with the form fitting holder.

It looks fine , great even, better then the dumb offset one that probably messes with the aerodynamics.

Am I going to have to go to the dealer to have this thing put on?
I can't find a single video or article on how to put the one on that comes with the car.
It looks like you don't need to get behind the bumper to attach any bolts.
The hardware bag has 2 screws , 2 washers and 2 plastic screw sheaths that I'm not sure what to do with.

I've had a warning and a fix-it ticket so the time has come to deal with this.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:01 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
pssst ....

thread was last active over 3 years ago . . .

Old 11-09-2013, 04:10 PM
bobsax
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
pssst ....

thread was last active over 3 years ago . . .
I thought we were supposed to recycle

This thread is the #2 top search on google. No 1 is a video on the No-Holes installation. I should buy stock in that company
#3 was from 2012 but a short no-help thread for my needs
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...e-bracket.html

Old 11-09-2013, 04:27 PM
Beachnmini
4th Gear
Just screw the 2 screws into the dimples where they line up. Job done.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:53 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
You're overthinking this. (trust me, I know...) Go buy one of the many tow hook mounting solutions. Yes you have to spend a few bucks but no drilling, and when you go to the track it just unscrews and you replace it with the tow hook in case of off-track excursions.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:58 PM
sfoanna
2nd Gear
Hi all, over the years, I have gotten 2 or 3 fix it tickets while parked in San Francisco for not having a front plate. It's a hefty fine here: last one about 2 years ago was $150 I think. My solution: drive my other car, or park in a private lot. I managed to dodge parking authorities all day all over SoMA and NoPA/Alamo Sq last Friday, only to be *pulled over* in Outer Richmond for not having a front plate.

The time has come......where can i get one of the no-drill plate holder for cheap?

Old 01-06-2014, 02:32 PM
MikewithaMini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by sfoanna
Hi all, over the years, I have gotten 2 or 3 fix it tickets while parked in San Francisco for not having a front plate. It's a hefty fine here: last one about 2 years ago was $150 I think. My solution: drive my other car, or park in a private lot. I managed to dodge parking authorities all day all over SoMA and NoPA/Alamo Sq last Friday, only to be *pulled over* in Outer Richmond for not having a front plate.

The time has come......where can i get one of the no-drill plate holder for cheap?
None are cheap. Sewellparts.com has a nice one for less $ than others I've seen. There may be cheap out there, I don't know.
http://mini.sewellparts.com/accessor...2009/4845.html

Last edited by MikewithaMini; 01-06-2014 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:32 PM
bobsax
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MikewithaMini
None are cheap. Sewellparts.com has a nice one for less $ than others I've seen. There may be cheap out there, I don't know.
http://mini.sewellparts.com/accessor...2009/4845.html
as is often the case the cheaper price ($47.30) has a steep shipping cost, $14.88 if your in San Fran, $13.88 for Chicago and $14.29 for NYC.

There was a new one on eBay that somebody bought and didn't need. It sold for the buy it now price of around $40. Other then that you don't see to many used ones.

I debated the offset one but considering the price I went with the standard drilled center front plate I had reservations about drilling but I actually think the drilled ones look better and besides , that's what everybody has.

I stopped by Mini of Stevens Creek and they put it on for me in 10 minutes , for free.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:39 PM
MikewithaMini
5th Gear
Well there you go you got what you wanted! And for what you wanted to pay. Good deal.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:21 AM
solus
1st Gear
If you guys are willing to attach the plate to the honeycomb on the bottom it can be done cheaply and easily. You'll need to get two drywall anchors. The ones where the metal part pops out to form T once inside the wall. Two washers and two thick rubber grommets or rubber stoppers with a hole drilled through them. You can get two more of everything and starch it at the bottom as well. This will hold it to the honeycomb but off of it so it doesn't completely restrict airflow. Sorry for reviving an old thread.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:44 AM
turbo diesel
1st Gear
Originally Posted by bobsax
I thought we were supposed to recycle

This thread is the #2 top search on google. No 1 is a video on the No-Holes installation. I should buy stock in that company
#3 was from 2012 but a short no-help thread for my needs
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...e-bracket.html
Ha ha, still the same deal a yr later. Just moved to CA and just want to make sure I was going to drill in correct space and can't find anything except a bunch of awful tow hook mount solutions which are completely hack. If you have to run a front plate it should be centered and mounted flush. Just mount it and forget it. Guess I will look at part schematics then drill it. If there are any gottchas I will post up here so in the future there will be at least one thread that actually has information on how to properly install a front plate.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:49 AM
jeffreyevens
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by turbo diesel
Ha ha, still the same deal a yr later. Just moved to CA and just want to make sure I was going to drill in correct space and can't find anything except a bunch of awful tow hook mount solutions which are completely hack. If you have to run a front plate it should be centered and mounted flush. Just mount it and forget it. Guess I will look at part schematics then drill it. If there are any gottchas I will post up here so in the future there will be at least one thread that actually has information on how to properly install a front plate.
I agree turbo diesel,can't anyone just answer the thread? what did you find on your install? did you have to drill pilot holes behind the dimples in the bumper cover for self-tapping screws? Thanks in advance for your reply.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:09 PM
turbo diesel
1st Gear
Originally Posted by jeffreyevens
I agree turbo diesel,can't anyone just answer the thread? what did you find on your install? did you have to drill pilot holes behind the dimples in the bumper cover for self-tapping screws? Thanks in advance for your reply.
Hi Jeff,

Sorry I don't remember anymore.

I think it was non-issue, just drilled holes where I wanted it mounted and it was simple. I will take a look at it and see if it jogs my memory.

Old 10-13-2015, 03:37 PM
jeffreyevens
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by turbo diesel
Hi Jeff,

Sorry I don't remember anymore.

I think it was non-issue, just drilled holes where I wanted it mounted and it was simple. I will take a look at it and see if it jogs my memory.
Thanks for the info. I did't notice the posted date, I would't remember either.

Old 10-13-2015, 05:57 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Here is a link for a retractable licence plate holder.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...te-holder.html

Old 10-15-2015, 11:21 AM
turbo diesel
1st Gear
Originally Posted by jeffreyevens
Thanks for the info. I did't notice the posted date, I would't remember either.
My wife drives the car and I forgot to look at it... I don't remember what type of screws I used, but I know it was straightforward. There is nothing behind the plastic to worry about.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Installing front licence plate holder?