Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Aero Bumper (Plastic) Trim Paint

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 04:00 PM
100percentcotton
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aero Bumper (Plastic) Trim Paint

I recently bought an aero front bumper and realized that the flare/wheel arch part of the bumper has a primered finish and not plastic trim like the rest of the car. I realize that there are a few threads on NAM about this but they aren't exactly what I'm looking for. I'm just wondering what people have used to match the color and texture of the plastic molding? Is there a tried and true product to accomplish this? I know that the special mini structure paint isn't imported to the US, but does anyone know what the body shops that work for mini dealers use?

Any info will be greatly appreciated

Old 06-12-2009, 08:00 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
PM orangecrush - he's a body shop guy and has done MINI work - may be able to help. I know my paint guy did mine and it turned out OK - not perfect, but good enough. Used some kind of texture additive in a flat black trim paint. I've touched it up with flat black trim paint from a rattle can and it looks fine.

This stuff is what I touch up with:
http://www.paintscratch.com/cgi-bin/...gi?ShowItem=45

Old 06-13-2009, 05:31 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Added Aero kit in December - And recently did some of mine with plasti-dip.
Allow 30 mins between coats, AND don't do it in direct sunlight !...
About 4 coats.......This stuff leaves slight texture and looks OEM....and so far so good, no chips or pealing either....

Just be sure to clean the cars paint surface area well with dishwashing liquid soap/water, and then alchohol prep wipes or rubbing alchohol. I didnt do the whole areas of the lower side skirts or the rear, just sort of "flared" the bottom. Here is pic of one rear fender part done....I ran like that for a while to make sure it would hold up, It did. I painted the rest of the pieces with Plasti dip the other day.

.....................Not painted^.......................................... .....Painted^

So far I have yet to do the front and back flares....

Did my door handles and gas caps same way 4 months ago, so far so good. Holding up like it was regular paint......This crap is unbelieveable...

Purchased it at Home Depot - 12 oz spray can - about 7 bucks a can I think.

Best part is, it is NOT permanent. If I ever want to go to ALL Dark Silver and paint the black arches I still can do that too.

This Plasti Dip stuff comes off with mineral Spirits and some rubbing. Doesn't harm paint finish either

Last edited by -=gRaY rAvEn=-; 06-13-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:01 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Then again, if you are handy with painting, and want to do it more like OEM, you can get this from Pete at www.Minispeed.net

15 bucks a can.

http://www.minspeed.net/WSBP.htm

Old 06-15-2009, 08:02 PM
docv
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Ask some of your local car dealer if they use Dr Vinyl for their restoration, any of their techs can take care of that with texture at a very reasonable cost.....