Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Hitch options 08 MCS

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 07:47 PM
Bor
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
second the recommendation for MiniDoMore - I am with my second setup (1st was on my R50) now on my R56S (non-JCW bumper) and dealing with Brent was great both times. I use it for both the bike rack (the tray-type Thule setup) and hauling a small trailer with my windsurfing gear.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:06 PM
basil49
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MiniDoMore and MiniFini are pretty much the only options. It is a little pricey in comparison to other car hitches, but I like my MiniDoMore hitch a LOT because it accepts any standard 1.25-inch rack or device.

Only modification: I didn't care for the plastic plug covering the square hole on my R56 MCS bumper skirt, so I designed a bracket for an OutMotoring badge-holder to cover the hole -- much nicer looking, and anything magnetic works there (see the sig pic below and the gallery)

Last edited by basil49; 11-14-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:45 PM
Brent@minidomore.com
Former Vendor
Curt Manufacturing Mini Cooper Hitch is a DEAD RIP OFF of the Mini Do More unit

After seeing the hitch on Curt's website today and looking at the photos and installation instructions, the hitch is a DEAD RIP OFF!! It is so bad that their installation instructions are basically a copy of ours. They actually stole a photo from our instructions with my hand in the photo and put it into their instructions. Total copyright infringement!

So, it got me wondering if they actually purchased a Mini Do More hitch to copy or if they at least did the engineering themselves.

Looked today at where Curt is located. They are in Eu Claire Wisconsin. Did a search on past orders from Eu Claire Wisconsin.

Phil Seidl, the Senior Buyer of Manufacturing Materials at Curt Manufacturing, over the period of 8 months (March 2009 - August 2009) has purchased all 5 models we sell. And, to make it worse, they had the damn hitches shipped to the Curt Manufacturing facility. Obviously, when they ordered, they didn't put Curt Manufacturing on the order, just Phil's name. And, they were somewhat sneaky, they purchased each one separately spread out by about 5 weeks each.

So, I guess it makes sense why they look SO MUCH like our hitches.

Very disappointing, now we will have to get our attorneys involved. Not going to go down without a fight.

REMEMBER WHO HAS BEEN A PAYING ADVERTISER ON THIS SITE, ON MC2, ON MOTORINGFILE.COM FOR MORE THAN 4 YEARS AND HAS GIVEN AWAY DOZENS OF HITCHES FOR CHARITY AT MOTD, MOT, MITM, AMVIV, etc. WHEN YOU MAKE YOUR NEXT PURCHASE.

Last edited by Brent@minidomore.com; 09-22-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:28 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Brent@minidomore.com
After seeing the hitch on Curt's website today and looking at the photos and installation instructions, the hitch is a DEAD RIP OFF!! It is so bad that their installation instructions are basically a copy of ours. They actually stole a photo from our instructions with my hand in the photo and put it into their instructions. Total copyright infringement!

So, it got me wondering if they actually purchased a Mini Do More hitch to copy or if they at least did the engineering themselves.

Looked today at where Curt is located. They are in Eu Claire Wisconsin. Did a search on past orders from Eu Claire Wisconsin.

Phil Seidl, the Senior Buyer of Manufacturing Materials at Curt Manufacturing, over the period of 8 months (March 2009 - August 2009) has purchased all 5 models we sell. And, to make it worse, they had the damn hitches shipped to the Curt Manufacturing facility. Obviously, when they ordered, they didn't put Curt Manufacturing on the order, just Phil's name. And, they were somewhat sneaky, they purchased each one separately spread out by about 5 weeks each.

So, I guess it makes sense why they look SO MUCH like our hitches.

Very disappointing, now we will have to get our Attorneys involved. Not going to go down without a fight.

REMEMBER WHO HAS BEEN A PAYING ADVERTISER ON THIS SITE, ON MC2, ON MOTORINGFILE.COM FOR MORE THAN 4 YEARS AND HAS GIVEN AWAY DOZENS OF HITCHES FOR CHARITY AT MOTD, MOT, MITM, AMVIV, etc. WHEN YOU MAKE YOUR NEXT PURCHASE.
Brent,

I have bought 2 of your hitches and I REFUSE to go anywhere if for nothing else but loyalty for a vendor that has supported mini owners and this website time and time again.

I urge anyone considering buying a hitch to support the vendors that support us. Competition is a good thing for consumers except when they have stolen ideas, intellectual property of copyrighted ideas.

I assure you that Curt manufacturing will not have many supporters after hearing about this.

I would hope that AutoXcoopers would also do the right thing and not sell any of Curt Manufacturing's products if they are copying Minidomore's ideas.

Mark

Old 09-23-2009, 04:20 PM
basil49
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by orangecrush
Brent: I have bought 2 of your hitches and I REFUSE to go anywhere if for nothing else but loyalty for a vendor that has supported mini owners and this website time and time again.

I urge anyone considering buying a hitch to support the vendors that support us. Competition is a good thing for consumers except when they have stolen ideas, intellectual property of copyrighted ideas.

I assure you that Curt manufacturing will not have many supporters after hearing about this.

I would hope that AutoXcoopers would also do the right thing and not sell any of Curt Manufacturing's products if they are copying Minidomore's ideas.

Mark
Brent's MiniDoMore products are not inexpensive -- but as an engineer and a customer, I can say that they're well-manufactured and well-supported.
If Brent's allegations are true, I would also have to think twice about doing business with vendors selling Curt products.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:06 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by basil49
Brent's MiniDoMore products are not inexpensive -- but as an engineer and a customer, I can say that they're well-manufactured and well-supported.
If Brent's allegations are true, I would also have to think twice about doing business with vendors selling Curt products.

I agree, they're not cheap (price). Having said that, I'm in total agreement, even if Curt was selling the same exact quality, just the fact they ripped off one of our supporting members would be enough for me to say no.

Mark

Old 10-07-2009, 09:00 AM
jluckyfish
2nd Gear
I have a mini do more and am totally satisfied and will continue to support our NAM vendors!

Old 12-17-2009, 07:00 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Brent as another Vendor I support you and encourage the support of your original product. Down with posers copying a good idea just to make a buck. I'll be installing one of your hitches Monday.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 12-20-2009, 05:43 PM
Brent@minidomore.com
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Brent as another Vendor I support you and encourage the support of your original product. Down with posers copying a good idea just to make a buck. I'll be installing one of your hitches Monday.
Cool Way! I'm sure the customer is going to love it!

Old 12-22-2009, 10:59 AM
Bor
3rd Gear
as somebody who also owns an engineering business, I can't sympathize with Brent enough on the Curt Manufacturing hoax. After all the efforts and money you invest in developing and prototyping a new product somebody just sneaks in and steals it - can't think of anything worse than that in our line of business. And there is a good chance that they and/or their unfortunate customers will have quality issues down the line - which for this safety-critical product could mean putting people's life in danger.

Absolutely, Brent, hit them with a lawsuit, hopefully your lawyers will be kind on you with the upfront fees.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:45 AM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Location: Car Nut Since 1987, Owner Since Fall 2005, Vendor Since Fall 2007
unfortunately for the hitch biz the patent laws do not work the same as with other products. Had Curt not done it one of the other big companies would have done it and they will do it to MDM or Curt once they wake up to the market.

Curt's hitch are above all standards in safety and quality.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:25 PM
JC55MINI
1st Gear
Originally Posted by AutoXCooper.com
Curt's hitch are above all standards in safety and quality.
Can you verify this with documentation, or is this a sales statement? What standards are you using? "Above all" would reference that Curt is the top quality hitch, correct? As you are a retailer and advertiser of the product(spokesperson), I want to make sure I can rely on your statement if there are any issues with safety and/or quality.

Just looking for evidence of the claim as an interested consumer.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:07 PM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Thanks for the good question. Let's start with Curt's Lifetime Warranty on the parts. Then do a Google search of the company and you'll find little if anyone with an issue with the product.

The SAE J684 is the standard that applies to all of our hitches. This is often termed V-5, which was actually the standard prior to the J684.

As for safety it's our government at it's best, here is the/a "standard" while old it's what is used.
http://fileresource.sitepro.com/file...A54E7093F6.pdf

The Hitch biz is big biz and Curt is not just working in the MINI market they work in all markets and fully understand the power of the Internet and the very high cost of producing a product that doesn't meet customer needs or is unsafe.

While there is no one document Curt relies on each of it's ratings given each product during R&D.

None of the above is not meant to call into question any of MDM or MINIFini Product/s.

Last edited by MLPearson79; 01-04-2010 at 01:42 PM. Reason: updated info
Old 12-22-2009, 09:11 PM
CARSSZ
Neutral
Thanks for the good question. Let's start with Curt's Lifetime Warranty on the parts. Then do a Google search of the company and you'll find little if anyone with an issue with the product.

As for safety it's our government at it's best, here is the/a "standard" while old it's what is used.

The Hitch biz is big biz and Curt is not just working in the MINI market they work in all markets and fully understand the power of the Internet and the very high cost of producing a product that doesn't meet customer needs or is unsafe.

While there is no one document Curt relies on each of it's ratings given each product during R&D.

I also researched Curt before becoming a vendor. Since my name is all I have to stand on I don't add products or suppliers without counting the cost of doing so. I sleep very well at night with Curt hitches on my customers MINI's.

None of the above is not meant to call into question any of MDM or MINIFini Product/s.
so to help out with those "very high costs" they just ripped off anothers proven product???

the R&D in this case being purchasing a competitors product, making an exact copy of it and sending it to market? I have installed MDM hitches on several MINIs and have one on mine-working very well as you can see--
BUY FROM THE INNOVATOR-NOT THE COPYCAT!

MDM and MINI FINI have been there for this commuinty for a long time-just say no to copycat wholesalers!!

Old 12-23-2009, 05:37 AM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Hello CARSSZ, as I have said before I don't like the way Curt or any of the big hitch guys get there product and it's an issue better taken with your Congress Rep. No Law was broken by Curt or AXC in bringing the Curt Hitch to market. If it had not been done by Curt it would have been done by another and had I not started marketing them someone would have.

Just taking my arrows.

PS., that's a really nice touch on the aero kit side panel too.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:42 AM
JC55MINI
1st Gear

I also researched Curt before becoming a vendor. Since my name is all I have to stand on I don't add products or suppliers without counting the cost of doing so. I sleep very well at night with Curt hitches on my customers MINI's.

Thanks for the info, but you didn't really answer the question. While I'm sure you can sleep well at night, that doesn't offer me any insight into the quality. I don't know you, your ethics or your standards.

Curt's limited lifetime warranty, while normal, does nothing to identify them as the top in safety and quality.

Carzz made a good point, if Curt did not R&D (except for R&D on someone else's intellectual property) it appears to be unethical. May not be against the law as you say, (I would think it is based on some of the posts here, but I'm no judge) but I have to take that into consideration before purchasing.

I would even have to take your statement basically aknowledging you don't agree with Curt's methods into consideration. With all due respect, you are basically saying you know what they did sucks, but to make a buck you are ok with dealing with them (and being the one to defend them) anyway. Ethics and morals...

I would hate to end up with a hitch that is a cheap knock-off that is merely a copy of someone else's work.

Like the DVD bought off the street. You may see the movie, but the picture and sound sucks. Definitely something to think about. Wish i didn't need a hitch.... (roof rack?)

Old 12-23-2009, 08:05 AM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
If I follow the logic of a few posts in this page there should only be one company making and selling one part for our cars. Whomever was the 1st to market with a part for the MINI should be the only company and or vendor offering that same basic part? There's only a limited, some times just one way, to make a part fit a car. So much for our Free Market in the good Ole USA.

To question my ethics in this manner is not going to help anything or anyone.

The Curt Product is what it is and those installing them weekly on MINI's don't seem to share the above concerns. I have asked many of them to share on NAM but they don't want to get flamed for not buying a MDM. Is that really the NAM family we want?

For those of you installing MDM hitches I'm happy you are. Not every MINI owners can afford the Org Price nor the "just lowered to deal with Curt" price. By the way, if the MDM is such a superior product over the Curt why didn't MDM just hold his price, stand with his product and let the lower priced Curt fall off the map?

MDM and AXC both support NAM and countless MINI Clubs/Events around the world. To say that those that have been on NAM longer get a free pass is not a good way to get new vendors with new products here supporting NAM.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:09 AM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
On a tech issue of the Curt Hitch please note for safety the chain loops are welded to the hitch which is bolted to the MINI. They are probably harder to access than the ones mounted to the ball mount but if the ball mount pin falls out of the hitch the chains and trailer go with it on other systems. On a Curt the trailer will still be chained to the MINI.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:14 AM
lotsie
Banned
Very happy with the MINI FINI hitch on our Clubman.

Mark

Old 12-23-2009, 08:24 AM
JC55MINI
1st Gear
Forget it...

Last edited by JC55MINI; 12-23-2009 at 08:32 AM. Reason: wasn't worth it...
Old 12-23-2009, 04:23 PM
CARSSZ
Neutral
If I follow the logic of a few posts in this page there should only be one company making and selling one part for our cars. Whomever was the 1st to market with a part for the MINI should be the only company and or vendor offering that same basic part?

WELL, SEE- that is where YOU DO NOT follow any reasonable logic. IF it was somehow different, improved, made worse, changed in some signifigant way-then it is actually a different part. Since MDM has the proof the really good old folks at curt ordered every hitch he makes, then copied them, there still is only ONE company designing parts here-and-if 200 years of copyright laws mean anything, you are welcome to create and sell the same product-as long as you acknowledge the designer with a LICENSE FEE. I have not yet seen where the good old folks at curt, OR YOU, are paying that license fee for the copy.

There's only a limited, some times just one way, to make a part fit a car. So much for our Free Market in the good Ole USA.

To question my ethics in this manner is not going to help anything or anyone.

YOU -and the good old folks at curt-and a lot of other people appear to have the same ethics as the great people who brought us the Enron mess, the current banking crap, and you are making a really good case for everyone to behave like Bernard Madoff, BECAUSE YOU CAN-doesn't have anything to do with right or wrong, ethics be damned. It is the "I want mine and I want it now-and-I don't care who gets screwed along the way" practice of doing business nowadays and it sucks.

The Curt Product is what it is and those installing them weekly on MINI's don't seem to share the above concerns. I have asked many of them to share on NAM but they don't want to get flamed for not buying a MDM. Is that really the NAM family we want?

well, the NAM family I want believes in good old american know how, not good old chinese rip off the other guys design.

For those of you installing MDM hitches I'm happy you are. Not every MINI owners can afford the Org Price nor the "just lowered to deal with Curt" price. By the way, if the MDM is such a superior product over the Curt why didn't MDM just hold his price, stand with his product and let the lower priced Curt fall off the map?

I Never said anything about superiority, MDM stated he has the proof they ripped him off-period. No one seems to dispute that, I don't see how it could be inferior, as it is a copy.

MDM and AXC both support NAM and countless MINI Clubs/Events around the world. To say that those that have been on NAM longer get a free pass is not a good way to get new vendors with new products here supporting NAM.
I also never said anything about whether you support NAM or MINIs or not-but-LET'S NOT OVERLOOK THE FACT THAT YOU PROFIT FROM YOUR MINI COMMUNITY TIES. Since you choose to do so, try to do it with a little more integrity-if you are selling a product and people are buying, good for you-but if it is a blatant ripoff of someone elses product, stop trying to pretend that it's ok as long as you make a buck on it-you couldn't look more foolish waving your "not my fault" flag.

Last edited by CARSSZ; 12-23-2009 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:09 PM
Brent@minidomore.com
Former Vendor
On a tech issue of the Curt Hitch please note for safety the chain loops are welded to the hitch which is bolted to the MINI. They are probably harder to access than the ones mounted to the ball mount but if the ball mount pin falls out of the hitch the chains and trailer go with it on other systems. On a Curt the trailer will still be chained to the MINI.
Hey Dustin, if you actually purchased the SAE J684 certification standards (which I own a copy of and doubt you do!) from the Society of Automotive Engineers (as I have been a card carrying member for 17 years!) you would know that the chain loops welded to the drawbar meet the J684 standard you quote above! See the Society of Automotive Engineers know that a hitch pin failure is much less likely to occur than a safety chain failure! Lets see, 1/2" solid steel pin vs. 3/16" ERW chain, wonder what will win?

Oh, and how long do the chains need to be to reach those loops. I have never seen a trailer with chains THAT long. And then just how do you keep them from damaging the bumper as the car turns left and right. Hmmm. And, just how do you keep them from dragging on the ground in the other direction. Hmmm.

Old 12-24-2009, 06:47 AM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
If I reply it will never end because the few only have one thing you really want and that won't happen. I'm off this thread forever. Say what you will but my customers and MINI Friends know who I am and keep coming back to AXC parts and service. Best Wishes and if anyone needs info about Curt Hitches please PM me so it doesn't get lost in the mess of this thread.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:39 AM
lotsie
Banned

Mark

Old 12-24-2009, 07:57 AM
CARSSZ
Neutral
If I reply it will never end because the few only have one thing you really want and that won't happen. I'm off this thread forever. Say what you will but my customers and MINI Friends know who I am and keep coming back to AXC parts and service. Best Wishes and if anyone needs info about Curt Hitches please PM me so it doesn't get lost in the mess of this thread.
AHHH yes-the old “I’m taking my ball and going home” response. And I was looking forward to you defending your predatory ethics some more. It would seem what “anyone” wants to know about Curt hitches is, did they rip off MDM? And if so, are they prepared to defend a copyright suit? I don’t see a response from Curt in here, just you. A product doesn’t HAVE to have a patent to have legal representation as an established product that is infringed on. If MDM prevails legally over Curt and they are ordered to pay up, are you prepared to forfeit whatever you are making on selling them? I bet not. And while we are at it, have you received your letter from BMW yet? You DO know the word Cooper is trademarked and if it is used in conjunction with anything to do with the new generation of MINIs BMW is quite aggressive about protecting it. Ask the founders of this forum. And a lot of other folks who used the words MINI or COOPER in a business name since 1995. They have a HUGE legal staff and will get around to you.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Hitch options 08 MCS