North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Interior/Exterior (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/interior-exterior-33/)
-   -   Interior/Exterior Clear OEM tailights-how to get around required red reflectors (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/interior-exterior/136317-clear-oem-tailights-how-to-get-around-required-red-reflectors.html)

PureWorks 04-14-2008 10:33 PM

Clear OEM tailights-how to get around required red reflectors

Just put on my new OEM clears and then two weeks later got pulled over for not having red reflectors. Is there a workaround that stills looks good? Thought of red reflective tape across the lower part of th back window? Thanks!

xnotfunkylex 04-14-2008 11:54 PM

Do you still have a red 3rd brake light? I had black tails for about 3 years and never had an issue, and I've had my fair share of run ins with the fuzz. I have a red 3rd brake light though. You should check to see if that would be enough.

Ancient Mariner 04-15-2008 12:15 AM

Most (if not all) states require red rear reflectors. I don't think the third brake light qualifies. Of course, most officers aren't really looking at that, more like "are the brake/turn/tail lights working?" It's only an issue if they are looking for it.
-skip-

bad venge 04-15-2008 07:36 AM

the red reflective scotchbrite works well ... find the law they normally state 3 square inches of red reflectors ... go to a truck stop they sell red reflectors oval shaped with double sided tape install them on the rear bumper or the hatch glass or on the taillight

Loony2N 04-15-2008 08:06 AM

Do the clear lenses not have a red reflector somewhere in the assembly? If they are OEM, they should meet the legal requirements of the state(s) they are sold in.

Drillslinger 04-15-2008 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by LynnEl (Post 2163719)
Do the clear lenses not have a red reflector somewhere in the assembly? If they are OEM, they should meet the legal requirements of the state(s) they are sold in.

IIRC the OEM kit comes with some red reflective material (tape I think) in order to get around this. Whether or not you choose to use it is up to you of course :roll:

Rally@StanceDesign 04-15-2008 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by LynnEl (Post 2163719)

The kit includes two reflectors and reflector housings that are meant to be installed into the rear bumper....so it is included. Most people just don't install them (they're pretty ugly)

http://www.electrodyne.cc/Merchant2/...002/70350M.jpg

PureWorks 04-15-2008 11:39 PM

thanks for the feedback. The reflectors were not included in the factory package, and I would not cut into my bumper to install them anyway.....third red brake lite also does not count in Ca. going to try reflector tape on the bottom of the rear window first. The police need to sign off on my fix it ticket, so I'll let you know if it works out

xnotfunkylex 04-16-2008 12:01 AM

Guess I was lucky then. Because I am in Cali. Good thing I got new tail lights.

70spop 04-16-2008 07:05 AM

OK, I know I'm being a killjoy, but WHY THE HELL DO YOU NOT WANT TO BE VISIBLE FROM BEHIND IF, SAY, YOUR TAILLIGHTS FAIL???? :sly: :roll:

Geez, either suck up to the fact that you are required to have rear reflectors, and maybe find a creative way to put them on your car like MSFITOY did, or just put the regular taillights back on.

ScottinBend 04-16-2008 07:16 AM

I have seen some folks just put a reflective dot on the taillights. Not real noticeable and it will work.

xnotfunkylex 04-16-2008 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by 70spop (Post 2166165)
OK, I know I'm being a killjoy, but WHY THE HELL DO YOU NOT WANT TO BE VISIBLE FROM BEHIND IF, SAY, YOUR TAILLIGHTS FAIL???? :sly: :roll:

Geez, either suck up to the fact that you are required to have rear reflectors, and maybe find a creative way to put them on your car like MSFITOY did, or just put the regular taillights back on.

Woh.:eek2:
My car is bright yellow, I think it might glow at night.:grin:

glnr13 04-16-2008 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by 70spop (Post 2166165)

hey, RELAX

the clears DO reflect, just not in red. but if the light fails and lights are flashing at it there is without a doubt a reflection of light to signify there is still a car there.
SO STOP YELLING AT PEOPLE

UKSUV 04-16-2008 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by glnr13 (Post 2166544)
hey, RELAX

the clears DO reflect, just not in red. but if the light fails and lights are flashing at it there is without a doubt a reflection of light to signify there is still a car there.
SO STOP YELLING AT PEOPLE

Hey buddy....YOU RELAX. Gawd! What are you the CAPS LOCK POLICE?!?!:razz: :popcorn:

glnr13 04-16-2008 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by UKSUV (Post 2166621)
Hey buddy....YOU RELAX. Gawd! What are you the CAPS LOCK POLICE?!?!:razz: :popcorn:

I WILL DRIVE OUT TO ARIZONA AND PUT YOU BACK AT STOCK RIDE HEIGHT!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

:razz:

UKSUV 04-16-2008 10:39 AM

It reminds me when I put my ebay clears in and I didnt have my LED's in yet. A cop got behind me and as soon as I put on my brake lights I could see him put his sunglasses on (at night)!:lol: :lol: :lol: . He pulled me over and I made up something like I always do and got out of a ticket....but there is no way in Hates that I will put any sort of reflector in my bumper. Reflectors are for those catalytic converter hippies...pfffffft!:roll: :no: :popcorn:

kalbone 04-16-2008 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by UKSUV (Post 2166630)
It reminds me when I put my ebay clears in and I didnt have my LED's in yet. A cop got behind me and as soon as I put on my brake lights I could see him put his sunglasses on (at night)!:lol: :lol: :lol: . He pulled me over and I made up something like I always do and got out of a ticket....but there is no way in Hates that I will put any sort of reflector in my bumper....pfffffft!:roll: :no: :popcorn:

quit makin stories up....:popcorn: :popcorn:

UKSUV 04-16-2008 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by glnr13 (Post 2166626)
I WILL DRIVE OUT TO ARIZONA AND PUT YOU BACK AT STOCK RIDE HEIGHT!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

:razz:

CAN WE GET BACK ON TOPIC?!? WHY YOU ALWAYS GOTTA HATE.....PLAYA? YOUR JUST JEALOUS :roll: :lol: :popcorn:

glnr13 04-16-2008 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by UKSUV (Post 2166635)
CAN WE GET BACK ON TOPIC?!? WHY YOU ALWAYS GOTTA HATE.....PLAYA? YOUR JUST JEALOUS :roll: :lol: :popcorn:

LOL :lol:

UKSUV 04-16-2008 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by kalbone (Post 2166633)
quit makin stories up....:popcorn: :popcorn:

My left cheek hurts. I dont think Im inviting the Indian kid over anymore. He likes to take advantage of people when they aren't looking....:sad: :popcorn:

Loony2N 04-16-2008 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by UKSUV (Post 2166637)
My left cheek hurts. I dont think Im inviting the Indian kid over anymore. He likes to take advantage of people when they aren't looking....:sad: :popcorn:

Did he put a tack on your chair??

sagworks 04-16-2008 11:04 AM

I have ebay clears (and a clear third brake light) I ended up putting (2)2 inch long pieces of red reflective tape on the lower black part of the bumper. It is noticeable - but not as bad as the OEM reflectors. My neighbor (who is a police officer) gave me the thumbs on it as well.

kalbone 04-16-2008 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by LynnEl (Post 2166683)
Did he put a tack on your chair??

no, he got B***** slapped!:lol: :lol:

\:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

70spop 04-16-2008 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by glnr13 (Post 2166626)

:eek2: :eek2: :eek2: Gah!!

glnr13 04-16-2008 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by 70spop (Post 2167454)
:eek2: :eek2: :eek2: Gah!!

dont make me change your car too :mad::mad::mad:

:razz::grin: