Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior oem ROOF RAIL roof rack

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 11:13 PM
Gecho4
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oem ROOF RAIL roof rack

After a lot of researching I've decided to get the OEM roof rack installed this year. THe only problem is that I don't know which one to get since there's two versions of the original. Does anyone have the roof rack with the roof rails installed? I'm trying to decide between the two. Pictures would be great as well since I've only seen the one with the rails from the parts catalog. It says on one of the mini sites that it's an upgraded version of the original that allows multiple positioning of the cross bars and does not require the 4 caps when uninstalled. It seems that this was MINI's solution to the constant loss of those covers. Can anyone shed some more light on this to aid in my decision? I'm also wondering how it attaches to the rails. Because they say that multiple positions are available it would seem as though the rails are bolted to the roof and the cross bars clip in a channel along the rails. Well that's my guess anyway since it's unclear in the diagram at realOEM . Does that mean that the crossbars in this version have a lower weight limit since they're not bolted? Any help would be appreciated. Here's a couple of pictures to help but I'm hoping that someone actually has this version installed.

Attached Thumbnails oem ROOF RAIL roof rack-new-20rails.jpg   oem ROOF RAIL roof rack-roof-railing.jpg  
Old 03-19-2008, 03:38 PM
hunter99
4th Gear
My dealer parts dept had been looking at this rack and trying to get me to order it. It does use different clips for the bars to they can be positioned in different places along the roof.

Frankly, it looks ugly to me and that is why I didn't go for it. To me it is the perfect type of rack for the clubman.

I do not have any pictures since I am not sure if anyone has ever ordered it. If they have it they have a very rare item.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:17 PM
True Joy
3rd Gear
I cannot speak for this revised OEM Roof Rack (RORR), but based on your description, I like that it's location can be adjusted along the rails front to back.
I can speak for the original OEM Roof Rack (OORR). Now that I see the RORR, I have a little buyer's remorse. The only thing I do not care for with the OORR is that when I use the Fork Mounted Bike Rack (FMBR), the back end of the tray is struck by the OEM spoiler when fully opened. If you look at the antenna from the side, anything that passes beyond that plane, towards the rear end, will be struck by the spoiler. Since the OORR can only be positioned in one predetermined place, the solutions were limited. The following are what bike shops, MINIUSA, and NAM members have suggested.

1. Cut the end off as necessary to clear the spoiler.
2. Per MINIUSA, install the FMBR in reverse. (NOT ON YOUR LIFE!)
3. Remove the spoiler. (HELL NO, IT WON'T GO!)

I was not fond of any of these "solutions", so I figured out my own. I basically made a stopper that kept the hatchback from opening fully. After installing the stopper, I gained a 1/2" gap between the OORR and FMBR.

If anyone is interested, PM me. It is one of the most low-tech and simplest things you can do for the MINI at a cost of less than $5.

Sorry...got a little longwinded, but I hope that helps you make a better decision for yourself.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:21 PM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Location: Car Nut Since 1987, Owner Since Fall 2005, Vendor Since Fall 2007
or buy a thule system.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:55 PM
Gecho4
1st Gear
I never thought of that...

True Joy and since I'll be using it with the fork mount bike racks that's good to know. Especially since my car has a spoiler to further limit the lifting of the hatch. So that's plus 2 for the revised version. I'm still hoping that someone out there has it though and sees this thread. I'd really like to see some non MINI catalog pictures of it with the crossbars installed.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:55 PM
True Joy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Gecho4
True Joy and since I'll be using it with the fork mount bike racks that's good to know. Especially since my car has a spoiler to further limit the lifting of the hatch. So that's plus 2 for the revised version. I'm still hoping that someone out there has it though and sees this thread. I'd really like to see some non MINI catalog pictures of it with the crossbars installed.
Anything I can do to help. That's what NAM is for. Also, don't know you MINI specifics, but mayb this website will help.

http://www.realoem.com

Good Luck! Continue the post. I would be interested to see it myself.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:59 AM
snid
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the original roof rack and fork mount bike carrier. Mine does not interfere with the spoiler on my car (Cooper with a spoiler). So, it will depend upon which spoiler your car has.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:08 AM
True Joy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by snid
I have the original roof rack and fork mount bike carrier. Mine does not interfere with the spoiler on my car (Cooper with a spoiler). So, it will depend upon which spoiler your car has.
I have an MCS 06 with the standard OEM spoiler. Maybe non-S MINI's, or at least the spoiler you added to yours, has a different shape/size? Send a pic, I would like to see. Below is what I have seen on NAM:

MC w/ Spoiler
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...perspoiler.jpg

MCS w/ Stock Spoiler (What I Have)
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...mcsspoiler.jpg

Snid,
Just looked at photos of your MINI. I see why it would not hit your fork mount. The 2nd Gen spoiler has that angled bend as it approaches the edge. That is where it would hit on my MINI and I believe that is what helps you clear. BUT I also see 1st Gen on your Flickr site. Are they both yours? When you said your spoiler does not contact the fork mount, which MINI were you refering to?

Last edited by True Joy; 03-20-2008 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:20 AM
snid
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by True Joy
Snid,
Just looked at photos of your MINI. I see why it would not hit your fork mount. The 2nd Gen spoiler has that angled bend as it approaches the edge. That is where it would hit on my MINI and I believe that is what helps you clear. BUT I also see 1st Gen on your Flickr site. Are they both yours? When you said your spoiler does not contact the fork mount, which MINI were you refering to?
I was referring to the 1st gen Cooper, not the 2007 MCS (they are both mine).

My Cooper's spoiler is like this one
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...perspoiler.jpg

I have not put a roof rack on the new MCS yet, so I don't know if I will have issues there or not. The spoiler on my 2007 MCS is the aero kit spoiler, not stock.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:24 PM
AutoCoarsen
3rd Gear
Received 116 Likes on 58 Posts
Bumping an old thread. Does anyone actually have the R50/R53 factory rail system? A review & pictures would be much appreciated. I need to install my long ski box (Thule Ascent 1100) and I think this system is the only one that will work.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:48 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Here is the OEM roof rack system that is most popular. 82710024992

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/82710024992/

&

I believe the one at the top of the thread is the long mount system. Not much info on it as it was not that popular here in the US.

Thanks

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-13-2013, 03:23 PM
AutoCoarsen
3rd Gear
Received 116 Likes on 58 Posts
Ultimately I'm looking for someone that can tell me how far forward the forward rail can go - with a picture or measurement. The fixed-position factory MINI rack defintiely won't work for me.