Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Brake Caliper Paint

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 08:07 PM
benji_mini
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Caliper Paint

would you guys recommend a specific brand for brake caliper paint? i have a dark silver mcs with the sport and hyper-sport package, so i really want to show off the car a little more with some bright colored brake calipers...what color would you guys do if it were your car?

im thinking red, to contrast with the rooster red color line...but im not sure yet. maybe like a black or silver? im torn between what color to go with, also what brand paint to use...im not sure if i want to do it myself or just pay someone else to do it, maybe even get them powdercoated..i hear that lasts longer and looks better.

let me know what you guys think

Old 10-22-2007, 08:15 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by benji_mini
would you guys recommend a specific brand for brake caliper paint? i have a dark silver mcs with the sport and hyper-sport package, so i really want to show off the car a little more with some bright colored brake calipers...what color would you guys do if it were your car?

im thinking red, to contrast with the rooster red color line...but im not sure yet. maybe like a black or silver? im torn between what color to go with, also what brand paint to use...im not sure if i want to do it myself or just pay someone else to do it, maybe even get them powdercoated..i hear that lasts longer and looks better.

Thats a lot more than ONE question...

Soooo.... IMO powdercoat is the way to go IF you have a good shop locally AND you're willing to go to the hassle of removing the brakes, reinstalling, bleeding, etc. AND you're willing to be without the car for a while AND you're willing to pay the $$.

Otherwise, I recommend the G2 paint - a nice glossy 2-part paint with a hardener, seems to look better and last longer than much of the "auto parts store" paints... see details of my painting experience on my blog...

Last edited by BlimeyCabrio; 02-28-2008 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:35 PM
benji_mini
4th Gear
yeah i really need my car so i dont think powder coating is the way to go if thats the case...i commute to school and work so i need a way to get around

your walkthrough makes it seem very simple and quick. i would need to get a couple jack stands and a legit jack (i would only have the stock jack that comes with the car, which i know is garbage).

i saw G2 when i searched google for brake caliper painting kits, and read other reviews about it. i have to find a place to do it as my garage is full of crap that my mom wont throw out haha.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:39 PM
andyde
5th Gear
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
Thats a lot more than ONE question...

Soooo.... IMO powdercoat is the way to go IF you have a good shop locally AND you're willing to go to the hassle of removing the brakes, reinstalling, bleeding, etc. AND you're willing to be without the car for a while AND you're willing to pay the $$.

Otherwise, I recommend the G2 paint - a nice glossy 2-part paint with a hardener, seems to look better and last longer than much of the "auto parts store" paints... see details of my painting experience on my blog...
Nice blog! That is exactly what I purchased as well but mine will be yellow.
I will get to it hopefully next weekend..

Old 10-22-2007, 09:44 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by andyde
Nice blog! That is exactly what I purchased as well but mine will be yellow.
I will get to it hopefully next weekend..
Have you found yellow that is similar to the mellow yellow color?

Old 10-22-2007, 11:59 PM
ghosthound
6th Gear
im not sure why you would consider painting it silver.... the stock caliper color is pretty much what silver paint would look like.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:19 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by benji_mini

G2 is probably a good place to start-
http://g2usa.com/brake_caliper_paint.shtml
$40 approx.
High-gloss colors include red, yellow, blue, silver, black, purple, green, white and gold.

You can custom mix a color. Brake colors are an accent to match something or to contrast.

Painted calipers are for street use but I have seen discoloration of the paint in the front brakes with heat during track or lapping sessions.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:14 AM
andyde
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Minidrivr
Have you found yellow that is similar to the mellow yellow color?
Nothing that is called mellow yellow or similar, just standard yellow paint.
We'll see how it comes out...