North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   How to (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/how-to-340/)
-   -   How To Interior/Exterior :: Replace mirror covers (WITHOUT breaking the clips!) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/how-to/97142-interior-exterior-replace-mirror-covers-without-breaking-the-clips.html)

BenjaminRoystan 04-08-2011 04:14 PM

Huge Help

This was exceptionally helpful. Thank you!

MINIng 05-03-2011 02:31 PM

Pulling the mirror cap was a commitment thing. Almost thought that I was going to break the mirror in half, but the man was right. Violent, but right.

+100

UT_Evo 05-26-2011 12:56 PM

So where's the guide for 2nd gen MINIs? The R56s?

2007+ Cooper and Cooper S to be exact...

UT_Evo 05-27-2011 09:08 AM

No one?

Mini Fireman 06-05-2011 05:40 PM

They're easy. Just pry them off gently with a plastic trim removal tool.

tilzey 06-19-2011 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mini Fireman (Post 3299302)
They're easy. Just pry them off gently with a plastic trim removal tool.

I'm in the dark - what is a plastic trim removal tool?
IOW, where does one get such a thing?
Any other more common items that may work as well?
Thanks!

tilzey 06-19-2011 09:16 PM

FYI - re: photos with explanation about changing the R56 side mirror covers.
http://www.mini2.com/forum/second-ge...hange-how.html

Mini Fireman 06-25-2011 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by tilzey (Post 3307935)
I'm in the dark - what is a plastic trim removal tool?
IOW, where does one get such a thing?
Any other more common items that may work as well?
Thanks!

Google is your friend. Try it some time instead of asking for help.

Googled trim removal tool & got this as the first pic (what I use, although not a VW tool):

http://dubfoto.com/albums/userpics/1...unroof_1~2.jpg

Got this as the first link: http://www.amazon.com/NESCO-Removal-.../dp/B000HSJE34

You can buy the pictured trim kit at Harbor Freight for a few dollars.

As for that MINI2 link, you don't have to bother with the using the screwdriver to go between the mirror & cap to release the tabs on newer MINIs. Just gently pry between the top edge of the cap & the black mirror surround until it pops off then work your way around the cap until enough tabs release to remove the cap..

tilzey 06-25-2011 07:26 PM

VERY easy, but pleased I asked

We have two 2009 MC Hatchbacks, both waiting for new side mirror covers.
I had both sets ready, instructions I had printed from NAM, plastic knives, a blanket for the floor, and some trepidation.

And changing the side mirror covers was SO EASY that I laughed out loud!:lol::lol:

I used a very thin screwdriver and very, very carefully, starting at the top, pried inbetween the cover and the mirror molding.
I worked on the top and it popped loose, then the outside edge. A bit of working the bottom loose and the cover was off.
IN SECONDS.
Then, the new cover went on in a blink. Lined it up and pushed it on.

The second cover change was even quicker.:thumbsup:

No need to remove a mirror or anything like that with the R56.
I suppose you could fiddle around with the mirror, but the mirror has nothing to do with removing the cover on our two R56 MCs.

So, you don't have to amp up your courage to change the side mirror covers on the R56. Just read the simple directions, have whatever thin tool you are confident with, and change those covers in just a couple minutes.

On the other hand, I will be happy to do it for your for less that the MC dealers - how about only $75.00 for a set. :grin:

tilzey 06-25-2011 07:34 PM

Mini Fireman was right

Per Mini Fireman: "Just gently pry between the top edge of the cap & the black mirror surround until it pops off then work your way around the cap until enough tabs release to remove the cap.."

YES!
What he said!:nod:

CZ Mate 10-24-2011 03:04 PM

Great forum.. First one went great.. Than I got on the driver side and cracked my mirror. Does anyone know if you can just by the mirror? Of so how much $? & where should I get it from?

CZ Mate 10-24-2011 03:27 PM

Well just called the dealership in portland, $69.68 for heated glass piece. FML.... All for $25 used mirror caps I was going to use as a project. I hope I can find the glass cheaper online

Mini Me 40 03-19-2012 02:32 AM

Hi, tried it you way, unless i had fingers thinner than razors i didnt stand a chance, so i tilted the electric mirror up an popped off the clips with a long pair of scissors then did the same with the top, hey presto mirror cap dropped on to the towel. i cant afford £75 on new caps so i chequred them myself with the left overs from my bonnet i did, LOOKIN GOOD and cost me next to nothing!!!! wahoooooo

Mini Me 40 03-19-2012 02:35 AM

Hi i tried it your was but unless my fingers were as thin as razors i didnt stand a chance so i tilted mirror up an popped off the bottom clips with a long pair of scissors, did came with top, brill it dropped on to the towel without any broken clips. i cant afford £75 for new checkered caps so i did them myself with leftover checks from my bonnet, they look stunning and cost next to nowt lmao !!!

wvmtnbiker 04-13-2012 06:45 PM

A world of thanks!

1 Attachment(s)
ImagoX you are the king. I thought I would have to take her to the dealer to get my new union jack mirror caps on. But thanks to you, I had both of them installed in <10 minutes. Yippee. YaHoo.:thumbsup:

Now she looks even more British than ever. It's forums like these that help people and this is one happy Mini owner.:grin:

willieboy 10-05-2012 10:24 PM

Once again I search for a solution and NAM has an answer. Thanks for posting this. I will use this on Sunday. Need to send my caps out for new paint. Thank you again.

willieboy 10-27-2012 07:58 PM

Ordered up some new mirror caps and sent them to the paint shop as mine were scratch pretty badly. Only down side was the last dumb azz siliconed them on. I can't stand hack jobs. Took me a half hour to remove the right mirror cap. I hate it when that happens. Thank again for the tips. They did help alot :) Now it's on to the left.

willieboy 10-27-2012 08:14 PM

Normal installation on the left hand side. Five minutes max. No silicone hack job. Thanks again for posting this. VERY helpful :)

silveradoboomer 03-22-2013 11:52 AM

Worked great first time I tried it on my 2007 Oxygen Blue with new checkered mirror caps.

Thank you ImagoX

tarynlittlebit 11-19-2013 07:39 PM

Spiders and hornets!

On the positive side of things: just did this to remove my mirror caps and paint them a different color. Super easy and took maybe two or three minutes.
Unfortunately…I found a mama her many baby spiders on the inside of the mirror cap on the passenger's side and a hornets nest on the drivers side…:sad: Luckily, I got some gloves after the spider discovery before taking on the hornet.

mikey_t 12-03-2013 01:54 PM

Worked very easily with my 2011 Countryman. Released the two bottom clips first with a long thin screwdriver and the plastic trim removal tool to carefully pry back the bottom of the cap, then released the inside top & used the trim tool to pop the other two free. No broken clips & it took about 10 mins to do both sides. :thumbsup:

winstonsiraj 02-25-2014 05:54 PM

Awesome! Worked like a charm

Great post, thank you!! Saved me money from going to the body shop. Literally took 5 minutes to take off mirror, pop out the cap and replace. oh, and I remembered step one to put down the towel :razz: my cap did pop out. Thank you!

serega12 01-22-2016 07:56 PM

Am I the only one that got a crack down the center of the mirror vertically? I thought I followed the instructions carefully... :sad:

Might be cold weather... :confused:

aabcds 04-08-2016 08:57 AM

I just used this method and it worked great! Only took a few minutes to switch out the caps.

RllyDrvrIX 07-04-2017 04:30 PM

Perfect!

Both mirror caps changed in under 10 minutes, no broken mirrors or tabs!!!!

Many thanks to the OP!