North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   How to (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/how-to-340/)
-   -   How To Interior/Exterior :: Replace mirror covers (WITHOUT breaking the clips!) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/how-to/97142-interior-exterior-replace-mirror-covers-without-breaking-the-clips.html)

cszocki 12-24-2007 07:08 PM

Where can I get red mirror caps?

Mini Fireman 12-24-2007 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by cszocki (Post 1944269)
Where can I get red mirror caps?

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

Welcome to NAM. :wink:

jrlombard 12-25-2007 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Mini Fireman (Post 1944312)

Love it! :thumbsup:

Wait, am I contributing or does this make me a post whore? :eek2:

FP 12-26-2007 06:06 AM

Great instructions. Now if you can only post an equally easy way to remove the boot handle.:wink:

Tess 01-12-2008 10:33 AM

OK, here i go to try it, wish me luck.. be back later with results and pics, will be a little while, going to wash car first

Tess 01-12-2008 12:32 PM

Ok, they're done, but not without incident.
I started with the right one, but when I tried to pull the mirror away from the bottom as instructed, it wouldn't pop off easily and I was afraid to pull harder. So I tried just popping off the tabs with a butter knife, I got 1, and as other poster suggested, inserted a butter knife into another, as I was trying to pop the 3rd tab, the butter knife fell and scratched my door :-(. So, when trying this put a towel over your door too.
Anyway, after getting 2 tabs popped and the knife falling, I gently pushed the cap out and it popped off, voila.. of course the new cap popped right on.

On the driver's side... it went differently, I could only see one tab, felt around for others with no luck, caps are black so I couldn't see very well
So I tried to take the mirror off first, it came off but one little plastic tab broke off. I kept it.. just in case I need to glue it back on later. Of course once the mirror was off, no problem getting the cap off and new one on. Luckily the one broken tab on the mirror didn't seem to matter as the mirror went back on just fine and moves around fine also.

Will post pics later.

CR&PW&JB 01-12-2008 01:14 PM

Glad you got it done, Tess. Can't wait to see the pics !

Sorry you had some troubles though. That scratch on the PS door shouldn't be deep. You should be able to buff it out.

When it comes to pulling those mirrors off, you can't be timid about it. They require some elbow grease. But they will come off, even the ones that seem like they won't.

Hey... I remember back about a year, or so, ago that you were talking about doing mods on your MINI but you were somewhat unsure of yourself. I believe you were worried about your creativity (correct me, if I'm wrong). Anyway... good to see you are giving it a shot ! :cool: :thumbsup:

Tess 01-12-2008 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by CR&PW&JB (Post 1977874)
Glad you got it done, Tess. Can't wait to see the pics !

Sorry you had some troubles though. That scratch on the PS door shouldn't be deep. You should be able to buff it out.

When it comes to pulling those mirrors off, you can't be timid about it. They require some elbow grease. But they will come off, even the ones that seem like they won't.

Hey... I remember back about a year, or so, ago that you were talking about doing mods on your MINI but you were either unsure of yourself. I believe you were worried about your creativity (correct me, if I'm wrong). Anyway... good to see you are giving it a shot ! :cool: :thumbsup:

yeah, i don't want it to end up just like everyone else's.. but so far there are only 2 NFR in the state that we know about, I was the only one until a few weeks ago

So far I'm doing things that can be undone, not much.. mirror caps, actual size sticker, my car's name on the side in chrome letters, probably stripes soon.. oh and the $600 ventureshield on the front that protected everything but the lens cap on the fog light :-(

Winchm60 02-09-2008 03:56 PM

Great instructions, glad to find this as a sticky thread. Used the directions to swap my white mirror caps for black ones after work today. I was sooo afraid that i was going to break the mirror though, it took quite a bit of force for it to come loose, other than that...very easy!

ImagoX 02-09-2008 11:11 PM

Yeah, I know that it just feels wrong to pull up on the mirror's lower edge like this, but trust me - I've never had the glass OR the retaining clips that hold the mirror to the adjustment mechanism break, and I've done many sets.

Sir Tyne 02-10-2008 06:25 AM

2 Attachment(s)
If you have to resort to taking off the mirror cap (or for any other job that requires prying 2 pieces of plastic apart) here's a handy tool I keep in my tool box. I used it when I put on my chrome mirror caps before I learned of the "remove the mirror" method. Using 3 of these came in very handy to keep the cap from popping back on last clip I just released while working on the next one.

It's quite strong and has a good fine edge to get between plastic stuff without marring it like a screwdriver will.

Attachment 166200

The best thing about it is the cost.

FREE

Go to the dairy department of your grocery store or your local drugstore and if you don't find one still attached to the 1/2 gallon milk jugs, look around the bottom of the dairy case. If you can't find one, ask the guy that stocks the dairy department. While you're at it, get two or three. The price is right.

Attachment 166201

NOTDULL 02-11-2008 05:32 AM

Mirror Caps

After reading how to pop off the caps I picked up a set of carbon fiber caps...however I can't get my fingers under the mirror as described to start the process. I will try a method a friend used successfully, a spork from Taco Bell is stiff enough to unclip the tabs yet flexible enough to bend around the mirror. Wish me luck.

MC 2 02-11-2008 05:35 AM

:lol: wen u use a hammer u never break the clip just the cap:lol:

CR&PW&JB 02-11-2008 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by NOTDULL (Post 2032275)
After reading how to pop off the caps I picked up a set of carbon fiber caps...however I can't get my fingers under the mirror as described to start the process. I will try a method a friend used successfully, a spork from Taco Bell is stiff enough to unclip the tabs yet flexible enough to bend around the mirror. Wish me luck.

Either you are not tilting the mirror back all the way before you begin, or you have some really fat fingers. :lol: :nod:

NOTDULL 02-14-2008 05:08 AM

BIg Hands - Big Feet - Big Ego

Carbon fiber mirror caps installed. I used the handles of four plastic spoons, oh and of course the moving blanket on the ground.

Mary Anne 02-14-2008 05:17 PM

New here, but trying to figure out how to replace the mirror glass on my driver's side mirror.

My husband had an unpleasant encounter with a buzzard on the road. The whole mirror sprang toward the window, didn't break, but the glass fell out. I got a replacement mirror glass and attached it, but it is not staying firmly in place. It rotates up and down but not side to side. Is there a pivoting mechanism that could have broken on impact?

Mary Anne

ImagoX 02-15-2008 12:14 PM

The mirror glass is held on by a ring of plastic clips that snap into a moving "puck" inside the mirror housing. If all the clips are engaged, but the glass still moves around, all I can think is that the linkage that holds the "puck" into the housing was also damaged. I'd have your local MINI dealer take a look and suggest a fix.

Also, if you can't get your fingers into the lower edge of the glass try this: press on the upper edge of the mirror, and while pressing, see if your fingers will then fit under the lower edge. You can also press in on the INNER top edge - there seems to be a bit more travel i that direction. My hand's not huge, to be sure, but there's plenty of room for my index and middle finger to slip in, hook the glass and pull.

fazelk 03-13-2008 05:46 PM

OUTSTANDING information! I just changed my mirror caps this evening. Grand total time... don't know. But certainly less than 15 minutes! This was the most useful "how-to" information I've seen/used on this site.

jimzbobs 03-20-2008 10:24 PM

sweet..Nice guide with pics and illustrations..:thumbsup:

PlayPlay 05-12-2008 03:40 PM

Nice write up thanks!!!!

Dory the Cooper 05-14-2008 05:39 PM

I tried taking my mirrors off before actually buying anything today. I could not get my fingers underneath the mirror! I dont think I have fat fingers :no: I have an 07 MC has anyone else had problems getting their SLIM fingers underneath? Also the cheapest I have found mirrors (I want checkered) is $134.... anyone have them for less?

Edit: Nevermind I got it! I still might have fat fingers but I know how to take the mirrors off!

ImagoX 05-15-2008 07:56 AM

Good to know that it works the same for the 2007+ mirrors - I was wondering about that. Thanks!

DaveTinNY 05-15-2008 08:11 AM

Nice writeup, ImagoX! I now feel confident to do the job. I purchased a set of checkered caps from a fellow NAMer. Looking forward to receiving them! :-) Currently have the black caps. HBB 05MCS

zeusboy 06-17-2008 10:14 AM

Thanks so much, ImagoX!:thumbsup:

It worked just as you said it would!

Glad I found this thread, or I woulda been like you were, in the beginning and the neighbors would probably have been calling the police from what they heard coming out of my garage.:eek:

Roneboy 06-17-2008 02:16 PM

Just changed mine out. 5mins. or less. Great write up and pics. Thanks ImagoX:thumbsup: