North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   How to (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/how-to-340/)
-   -   How To R53 Drivetrain :: Oil Catch Can How-To (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/how-to/75360-r53-drivetrain-oil-catch-can-how-to.html)

polizei 08-02-2006 06:39 PM

R53 Drivetrain :: Oil Catch Can How-To

11 Attachment(s)
Hello. I decided to install my OCC today after reading many many threads over and over again about doing so. Please keep in mind, I've never done this before, and I was in a hurry.

Tools Required:

30Torx bit
Screwdriver
File
Drill
Knife or other device to cut with

Parts Required:

3-4ft of Automotive Tubing (3/8" in diameter)
4 Clamps to fit over the tubing
Of course, the OCC itself!

Here is a pic before anything was done.

Attachment 164634

Step 1.

***NOTE: This step is ONLY if you are mounting the OCC in the passenger cowl vent***

First step, you will need to drill two holes a little bit bigger than the diameter of the tubing in the passanger cowl vent. The larger holes allow a little bit of movement for the tubing, just incase they need to move.

After you drill the holes, if your drill bit was too small like mine was, you are going to have to file out the rest of the holes. Just file the holes until the tubing fits with some extra room. It will look like this:

Attachment 164635

Step 2.

Now that you have the holes drilled, you will move onto the fun part, taking everything apart! :razz:

First, you will need to remove the IC cover. This is very simple. Remove the 4 Torx screws on the corner's of the IC cover. Once you have the IC cover off, you will be able to see the IC itself.

Attachment 164636

Step 3.

Now you will have to take off the IC itself. To do this, unscrew the 4 bolts on each boot.

Note* Do not remove the bolts completely. I did this and put the IC boot on backwards, which was not good and through me into limp mode!*

Once those clamps are lose, push the IC over to the passenger side. Once it's over, you should be able to push it back (toward the back of the car) and up. The IC now should be out.

Attachment 164637

Attachment 164638

Step 4.

Now that you have everything off, it's time to run the tubing. First, you need to take off the grey line that connects to the PCV valve. Just let that sit for a miniute. You'll come back to that.

Now, as you can see, there is nothing going to the PCV valve. Well, now you need to took up a piece of tubing that runs from the OCC to the PCV valve. Once it's on, clamp it down tight like this:

Attachment 164639

Step 5.

Ok, now back to the grey line. With the grey line, you'll see that it has a bent piece of rubber on the end. You can either leave this on or just pop it off. I chose to pop it off.

Now, take your second piece of tubing (you might have to cut your tubing in half like I had too) and run that from the OCC to the grey line. Place it over the grey line and clamp it down like this:

Attachment 164640

After you have that done, the two lines should look like this:

Attachment 164641

After that, your done! Just put everything back together, and watch the oil fill up.

I hope people will enjoy this how-to. I know doing the OCC is easy, but I was lost today while trying it and really wish there was one. If I missed ANYTHING, or messed up somewhere, PLEASE tell me ASAP.

Edit* Here is an updated version! :razz: with my new M7 OCC installed, and in a different location! :nod:

Attachment 164642

Attachment 164643

Attachment 164644

-Cody :thumbsup:

qwertmonkey 08-02-2006 06:45 PM

Thats an excellent how-to. Its also the FIRST I have seen for an OCC. I vote for it to be added to the how-to sticky! :thumbsup:

Nice work. I dont see any problems! :wink:

polizei 08-02-2006 07:09 PM

Thanks. I would love this to be a sticky, but I want everything to be correct! :lol:

-Cody

Motor On 08-02-2006 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by polizei
I hope people will enjoy this how-to. I know doing the OCC is easy, but I was lost today while trying it and really wish there was one.

Well somebody is obviously waiting to do any mods!

I think there is an OCC how to floating around out there but it also included inctructions for fabricating the CC itself. Perhaps PM Randy and ask that he add this to the list of performance how-tos for easy locating.

Nice work:thumbsup:

polizei 08-02-2006 07:21 PM

Thanks. Are you talking about Randy from WMS? Sorry, I'm a bit lost. :roll:

-Cody

JoeCool 08-03-2006 06:20 AM

Good Job! Sometimes, even the easy mods aren't so easy without a bit of instruction. I'm sure this how-to will help others.

polizei 08-03-2006 08:41 AM

I hope it will. As you know, I was lost while trying to do this and screwed up a couple of times. I thank you Joe for helping me out! I had to go to work and was stressing out until you helped me!

THANKS!

ScottinBend 08-03-2006 07:48 PM

If you want the most benefit from an OCC install you have to have the other vent hose connected.

Motor On 08-03-2006 07:51 PM

The thread

And upgraded anouncement

polizei 08-04-2006 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by ScottinBend
If you want the most benefit from an OCC install you have to have the other vent hose connected.

What do you mean?

-Cody

ScottinBend 08-04-2006 06:02 PM

There are two hoses from the valve cover. The PVC one and one on the drivers side. The one on the drivers side is connected to the intake above the throttle body.

polizei 08-04-2006 06:07 PM

Oh. That hose for me runs to a breather filter because I have a HAI. I also found that the diameter is different between that valve and the diameter of the hose, so you would need someway of fitting that. And also, don't you only need to do that if you took up two OCC's? Why would you need to if you're only running one?

-Cody

ScottinBend 08-04-2006 06:38 PM

You can run both lines to the OCC as I have done (check gallery). But with your setup the breather is probably the best way to go. This line does carry some vapor, so it is not a good idea to leave it connected if you want to eliminate all vapors from the intake path.

polizei 08-04-2006 06:45 PM

Ahh, gotcha. I see now. Thanks...my main thinig is just to keep oil out of the IC better than before (which was nothing) so anything would help. I think I'll leave the breather filter on now, because I really don't feel like messing with it again. :lol:

Thanks for the advice though. I'll probably switch that out when I do the VGS mod or get a new ALTA CAI.

Btw: What would you suggest to clean out the IC? When I had it off, I didn't have the time to spray it down and let it dry out....but over 50k miles, the IC was SOAKED in oil, so I hope to clean this out when I do some mods (pulley and VGS) so I can keep things clean. I'm also waiting on an M7 OCC. :razz:

ScottinBend 08-04-2006 07:41 PM

Use a can or so of brake cleaner. Doesn't take long too dry (especially if you have a compressor handy.....lol)

polizei 08-04-2006 07:50 PM

Sweet, I have brake cleaner, and a compressor. :razz:

Hopefully I'll get around to it soon. :lol:

-Cody

veggivet 10-15-2007 05:28 AM

How often do you empty your catch can?

polizei 10-15-2007 09:07 AM

I've only emptied mine once, and that was at 50k. I haven't had to empty it since, and I'm at 55k now. If you install an OCC you should be able to see the level via an indicator tube on the side.

-Cody

veggivet 10-15-2007 10:05 AM

Thanks polizei. With only 23k on my 02 I guess I don't have to worry about this for awhile.

polizei 10-15-2007 01:18 PM

You can clean it out if you want, but honestly I wouldn't really worry about it... if you do, just make SURE the IC is dry before re-installing.

-Cody

ScottinBend 10-15-2007 04:53 PM

I check mine every month and empty as needed. It depends on the driving done as to how much is in the cans.

JedzMCS 10-25-2007 08:20 AM

this thread is awesome. i recently won an M7 OCC but it didnt come with install instructions. Thanks!

polizei 10-25-2007 08:46 AM

No problem, glad I could help some! Thank the other members of NAM though because they are the real people behind it.

-Cody

MiNi_MaC 11-01-2007 01:47 PM

Hi,
I just got my M7 OCC and im gonna install it during the weekend... but im concerned about the gray line.. since m7 does not ship the can with a coupling for it (gray line)... does it fit correcly in the occ hose? could it slip off?? or a leak?... thanks! just wanna make sure itll be safe to do that!!!

ScottinBend 11-01-2007 05:12 PM

It should just slide into the OCC line and then you can use a small hose clamp to keep it in place. It is under vacuum so it would probably stay in place without it. Are you going to hook-up the other line to the can also?