How To Electrical :: HID Projector Retrofit... the right way.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 07:54 AM
burley
6th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Electrical :: HID Projector Retrofit... the right way.

For your viewing pleasure.... I think I've got my hands tied through winter w/ this little project.. The projectors are TSX HID, which have good output and a colorful cutoff.

I was going to put the projectors in the usual spot, but I kinda like them in the high beam location, they just fit so snug. What do you think?

The mess....

FINISHED PRODUCT...

PHOTOSHOPPED BLACK 1

PHOTOSHOPPED BLACK 2

And because I have too much time on my hands, I'll post an artists rendering of what it looks like on an IB MCS...

Old 10-30-2007, 08:06 AM
Jahmills
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How did you get the lights apart? Bake them in the oven, or cut open with a dremel?

Old 10-30-2007, 08:10 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
They look awesome and very OEM hidden in the high beam socket.....but are the TSX projectors bi-xenon? It would be really cool if you switched the TSX's out for the Porsche or RS6 bi-xenon projectors.....their cutoff is amazing too.

Eager to see how this goes

Old 10-30-2007, 08:15 AM
burley
6th Gear
TSX are lows only, but Im just putting the highs in the old low beam socket. Im not sure what the high beam pattern will look like, so I'll have to test it out.

Bixenons are usually too big, and the TSX are cheap, good output, good color, and are small.

Should I do the joey mod?

Old 10-30-2007, 08:24 AM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Looks good Mike. Nice job.

Maybe you could rewire so that the projectors are the low beam, and use the lows for the high beam.

EDIT: I have no idea if that would work, I would run it by Greatbear.

Last edited by Partsman; 10-30-2007 at 08:28 AM.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:24 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by burley
TSX are lows only, but Im just putting the highs in the old low beam socket. Im not sure what the high beam pattern will look like, so I'll have to test it out.

Bixenons are usually too big, and the TSX are cheap, good output, good color, and are small.

Should I do the joey mod?
I would say yes to joey mod...but maybe just a matte silver? I dont like the idea of black on your car.

In terms of using the lows for highs that's not really gonna work. The shape of the reflector is incredibly different...and that would hurt the high beam performance....but more importantly, as you know, the low beam and high beam reflectors are all one piece of chrome plastic. This means that when they are aimed (with those two *****) they move in tandem. The high beam reflector is aimed upwards a tad more and the low beam reflector is aimed down.....this way, when the low beam is set to shoot forward, the high beam is pointed upwards a bit to light up more of the area ahead. If you are using the projector, you would have to aim the headlight downwards to get the highbeam area pointed where a low beam should be pointed......but the problem is that this would leave the low beam reflector pointed very far down. So, using it as a high beam wouldn't work too well as the new high beam would be pointed further down than your projector low beam.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:33 AM
burley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PARTSMAN
Looks good Mike. Nice job.

Maybe you could rewire so that the projectors are the low beam, and use the lows for the high beam.
Im am swapping the highs and lows. No rewiring needed, just swap the position of the wires. They are long, and just reach around the corner, so the projectors are for lows.

Originally Posted by Jahmills
How did you get the lights apart? Bake them in the oven, or cut open with a dremel?
Baked and pried, baked and pried... not for the faint hearted..

I'll just have to play around w/ the high beam to see if this works. If not, I'll just put it back the way it was, w/ the projectors on top. Im thinking that I can just aim the projectors down, and also aim the entire headlight down w/ OEM adjustments so everything is aimed correctly.

I wanted the projectors on the bottom because they are further forward, therefor making the beam pattern wider.

I think I'll stick with the chrome look, since my car is a Cooper, and already has lots of chrome on it. Joey mods look better w/ black out cars.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:43 AM
Jahmills
5th Gear
I say do the joey mod, I like Rallys matte silver idea. I mean since you are already in there why not? Anyway cool mod idea, I'm envious of you skills. I don't have the ***** to even open my lights up, let alone something like this.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:49 AM
burley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Jahmills
I say do the joey mod, I like Rallys matte silver idea. I mean since you are already in there why not? Anyway cool mod idea, I'm envious of you skills. I don't have the ***** to even open my lights up, let alone something like this.
You dont need ***** when you have an extra set of lights just in case you screw up.

Just kidding partsman, those are yours... I'll just have to make sure I dont screw up.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:00 AM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
You dont need ***** when you have an extra set of lights just in case you screw up.

Just kidding partsman, those are yours... I'll just have to make sure I dont screw up.

Yes, please be careful and don't screw up. Be sure to post the final pics.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:02 AM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Im am swapping the highs and lows. No rewiring needed, just swap the position of the wires. They are long, and just reach around the corner, so the projectors are for lows.
That's pretty cool. Hope that works.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:43 AM
Aeromax
5th Gear
I've been wanting to do something like this for a while now. Just don't have spare lights.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:07 AM
burley
6th Gear
Just need a 4 day weekend, or regular weekend w/ out sleep.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:36 AM
jrprich
3rd Gear
Very nice work ........where did you score the projectors ?

Old 10-30-2007, 01:55 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
what happened to the opaque Half-Circle shaped lens that covers the factory low beam? did you decide to leave it off? and are there any ill effects to doing so?

Old 10-30-2007, 02:13 PM
burley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jrprich
Very nice work ........where did you score the projectors ?
Ebay.. About $140 shipped, which is about average. The cutoff beam is way sharper and brighter than the OEM Cooper's 05+ projectors, which i think are bosch.

Originally Posted by SnYpR
what happened to the opaque Half-Circle shaped lens that covers the factory low beam? did you decide to leave it off? and are there any ill effects to doing so?
Took it off. Since Im not using that socket for the low beams anymore, I dont think it will matter. The lens is just a diffuser, which spreads the light. I may put it back for esthetics, if it works w/ high beams.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:52 PM
burley
6th Gear
I just tested the highs, and they seem to work pretty well, and w/ the glass lens on, it really spreads the light evenly.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:36 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
i wonder would u do the work again if i ship you my lights...

Old 10-31-2007, 06:40 AM
burley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kyriian
i wonder would u do the work again if i ship you my lights...
Uhh.. Let me add up the hours and pints of blood I've lost while slicing my hands open on sharp parts. When I wrap this up, Im guessing the price wouldn't be worth your while. Also, theres the liability, because I might screw up.

If anyone lives near by, I could show someone how, or work on it w/ you. Im in flyover country though....

Old 11-01-2007, 01:07 PM
burley
6th Gear
Update...

The projectors have nothing to bolt onto in the high beam spot, so I'll have to scratch that idea, and put them where they used to be, up top.

Now i have to buy some sort of shrouding to hide the projectors... too bad, I liked the look of them in the bottom.. Looked clean. Oh well..

Old 11-01-2007, 01:32 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Bummer....i was wondering if you would be able to fit the bolts down there. I bet with the right shroud you can make it clean up top too.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:30 PM
burley
6th Gear
Just got the projectors mounted.. Lots of trimming and hacksawing..

A giant mess later, they are mounted, and in desperate need of a good leveling. I think the light reached the roof of my garage...

BEFORE (OEM '03 XENON)

AFTER (TSX PROJECTORS @ 10')

Needless to say, the results are worth the effort compared to the OEM reflector xenons.

Last edited by burley; 11-01-2007 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:24 PM
Aeromax
5th Gear
If you take them apart again, I'd like to see what you had to cut apart and how they are mounted inside the housings.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:56 PM
burley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Aeromax
If you take them apart again, I'd like to see what you had to cut apart and how they are mounted inside the housings.
I haven't sealed them yet. I just stuck them in the cooper to get the aim, which Im still working on.

I'll get some pics of that up soon, but basically the reflector cracked from the bulb up to the top when I was cutting them, so I cut WAY more than I wanted, but its working out so far.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:23 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow.... impressive! :: golf clap ::

Quick Reply: How To Electrical :: HID Projector Retrofit... the right way.