North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   How to (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/how-to-339/)
-   -   How To How to replace - swap steering worn steering wheel controls. (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/how-to/282509-how-to-replace-swap-steering-worn-steering-wheel-controls.html)

Lex2008 01-20-2015 10:50 AM

How to replace - swap steering worn steering wheel controls.

7 Attachment(s)
The steering wheel stereo volume control on my 2008 Cooper S with 3 spoke steering wheel was worn so I bought used buttons that were in perfect condition for $20 (both sides), popped out the circular "toggle button" and put in a newer one.

Its quite simple. My advice is take off the steering wheel and bring it into your house to let it warm up for a few hours so the plastic isn't as brittle. (scrub that nasty ass steering wheel with some warm soap and water while your at it...much black grime came off of mine).

1. Disconnect battery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cause you about to,

2. Remove the airbag (see vids on Youtube on how to). VERY easy.

3. Remove steering wheel center nut (15mm?) and bring'er inside.

4. If you have paddle shifters move them by loosening Torx screw (T25?) holding them in place and delicately move them to the side. Wires will still be connected. This is for access to the screw that holds the entire grey plastic control in place and for better access for cleaning...ya dirty mutt!

One on each side.

Attachment 147186

5. Another Torx screw (T22?) holds each of the control units to the steering wheel from behind.

Attachment 147187

6. Gently pry out the control. See the plastic "anchors" that keep it in place?

Attachment 147188

You can change entire control or just the round button(s). I bough a replacement button with a scratched up housing so I only wanted the round radio volume / scan button.

7. If you want to change just the round button(s), you need to open the grey control housing via the tabs on the periphery /sides of the control. Very easy. You can see those tabs in the pic above. Just pry and pull the 2 sections (grey top housing and black circuit board) apart so that you have access to the underside of the round button.

The round button is held in by 2 tiny black tabs. See them exposed after being taken apart:

Attachment 147189

You can just push the button out from the back to pop it out, but I suggest you delicately pry the tab away on one side and then push out the replacement button from the controls, like this:

Attachment 147190

Here is the underside of the button:

Attachment 147191

8. Push the new round button into place.

New round button in the original housing.

Attachment 147192

9. Put it all back together.

aabcds 05-19-2017 06:56 PM

Good pictures and write up!

Lex2008 05-19-2017 07:25 PM

Glad it could help you.

Tim McCreary 04-07-2019 05:05 PM

Any idea how to add these buttons to a car that doesn’t have them. I found a complete steering wheel/airbag for sale.

What at all is needed. I think there is a remote computer box and the turn signal switch is different and needed.

Anyone have any more information?

Lex2008 04-07-2019 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Tim McCreary (Post 4462023)
Any idea how to add these buttons to a car that doesn’t have them. I found a complete steering wheel/airbag for sale.

What at all is needed. I think there is a remote computer box and the turn signal switch is different and needed.

Anyone have any more information?

No idea.

SirKronan 08-06-2020 12:25 AM

Forgive the necropost, but if anyone still following this has any idea on where we can buy buttons without having to buy a whole honkin' steering wheel, I would LOVE to be able to do that. Every steering wheel I find remotely in my price range has buttons that look almost as bad as mine!

Lex2008 08-06-2020 07:05 AM

I found used buttons, but I don't recall from where. More than likely EBay.

SirKronan 08-08-2020 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Lex2008 (Post 4548104)
I found used buttons, but I don't recall from where. More than likely EBay.

Thank you! So far only found silver ones on ebay, and only one side. Mine are black. Think the silver ones are interchangeable? I don't think putting silver in my otherwise black steering wheel would look bad at all, because the center circle is the silver color, and the tachometer is silver too!

Lex2008 08-09-2020 06:29 AM

Send some pics of your buttons and wheel.

Ciji 10-27-2023 11:30 AM

New Buttons

Originally Posted by SirKronan (Post 4548073)
Forgive the necropost, but if anyone still following this has any idea on where we can buy buttons without having to buy a whole honkin' steering wheel, I would LOVE to be able to do that. Every steering wheel I find remotely in my price range has buttons that look almost as bad as mine!

I know this is a very old post, but figured I'd reply for the people who search the same thing as I did and got brought here. I found brand new buttons for cheap on Ali Express. It takes a little longer to arrive but they are great. There a lot of options for the different years and which buttons you need.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...68eb4ae1f3.jpg

Lex2008 10-27-2023 12:05 PM

Thanks for the info!

Thanks QUOTE=Ciji;4664174]I know this is a very old post, but figured I'd reply for the people who search the same thing as I did and got brought here. I found brand new buttons for cheap on Ali Express. It takes a little longer to arrive but they are great. There a lot of options for the different years and which buttons you need.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...68eb4ae1f3.jpg[/QUOTE]