How To DIY HPFP Replacement - How to replace High Pressure Fuel Pump on MINI Cooper R56 JCW

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 04:29 PM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Gabe3
well I'm trying put in a new HPFP, so I need to get the fuel line off my broken HPFP. looks like the metal tube that the fuel line slides onto is removable from the pump, thats what I'm asking about. that seems like my only option unless I buy a new fuel line which I dont want to.
Honestly if the fuel line you're struggling with is that chewed up already I wouldn't trust it to seal properly if you were able to get it off and put it on the new pump. There's already a decent chance it will leak on a clean install. Both the Mini service manual and PelicanParts advise replacing the line. See figure 16 here: https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...eplacement.htm

Buy the new fuel line.

Old 05-01-2020, 07:56 PM
Gabe3
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by thebombardier
Honestly if the fuel line you're struggling with is that chewed up already I wouldn't trust it to seal properly if you were able to get it off and put it on the new pump. There's already a decent chance it will leak on a clean install. Both the Mini service manual and PelicanParts advise replacing the line. See figure 16 here: https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...eplacement.htm

Buy the new fuel line.
I did buy a new fuel line, finally got here today. I talked with someone who rebuilds the HPFP and I could have removed what I was talking about and keeping the line connected to it. but when I started removing the part on the new HPFP, it was a pain. super tight and hard to turn. I dont know if the mini service manual advises to replace that line, I know they replace the hard metal high pressure line. when my HPFP was replaced during its extended warranty, the mini dealer only replaced the metal line.

anyway, I'm a little nervous about disconnecting the low pressure line under the car. can anyone give me some tips on how to disconnect it and reconnect my new line quickly so I don't make to much of a mess. I guess the gas tank will empty as long as its disconnected. I'm assuming I pull that plastic part that slides toward the new line. and that releases it from the existing line under the car. is reconnecting simple as pushing the two lines together? or will I need to fiddle with the plastic sliding piece to lock them?

Old 05-02-2020, 04:14 AM
thebombardier
5th Gear
anyway, I'm a little nervous about disconnecting the low pressure line under the car. can anyone give me some tips on how to disconnect it and reconnect my new line quickly so I don't make to much of a mess. I guess the gas tank will empty as long as its disconnected. I'm assuming I pull that plastic part that slides toward the new line. and that releases it from the existing line under the car. is reconnecting simple as pushing the two lines together? or will I need to fiddle with the plastic sliding piece to lock them?
When I replaced the low pressure line a little gas came out at first but it was just whatever was left over in the line itself, none came out of the tank. So you'll have time to swap it out.

The black plastic collar at the end of the line slides in and out. To release the connection you push it into the fitting and to secure it you pull it out. I was able to do it without tools, just got under it with my finger nails.

Old 05-02-2020, 07:43 PM
Gabe3
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by thebombardier
When I replaced the low pressure line a little gas came out at first but it was just whatever was left over in the line itself, none came out of the tank. So you'll have time to swap it out.

The black plastic collar at the end of the line slides in and out. To release the connection you push it into the fitting and to secure it you pull it out. I was able to do it without tools, just got under it with my finger nails.
thanks! got the new line on. then I made a big mistake on connecting the high pressure line to the HPFP. it got cross threaded the first 2-3 threads in. running around town today for 2 hours looking for the right size tap to fix the threads but never found the correct one. may have to use a dremel to grind away the damaged threads. the soonest I can get the right size tap from amazon is 8 days, and I'm afraid it could damage the good threads. I get the bolt in straight but then it goes a little sideways.

Last edited by Gabe3; 05-02-2020 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-02-2020, 09:07 PM
thebombardier
5th Gear
thanks! got the new line on. then I made a big mistake on connecting the high pressure line to the HPFP. it got cross threaded the first 2-3 threads in. running around town today for 2 hours looking for the right size tap to fix the threads but never found the correct one. may have to use a dremel to grind away the damaged threads. the soonest I can get the right size tap from amazon is 8 days, and I'm afraid it could damage the good threads. I get the bolt in straight but then it goes a little sideways.
This guy has those high pressure lines pretty cheap it seems: https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-High-Pr...-/121786201220

Old 02-27-2021, 02:09 PM
jbourne
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Folks, is there any reason why the HPFP seems to be anywhere between $600 and $1,000 USD these days? Has the world gone completely mad? I can't find any of the $139 prices literally anywhere.

Old 02-27-2021, 03:44 PM
Gabe3
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jbourne
Folks, is there any reason why the HPFP seems to be anywhere between $600 and $1,000 USD these days? Has the world gone completely mad? I can't find any of the $139 prices literally anywhere.
I think mini raised the price on them once the extended warranty ended. when I bought mine a year ago, this place was the cheapest. https://www.neobrothers.co.uk/

Old 02-27-2021, 05:51 PM
jbourne
4th Gear
I think mini raised the price on them once the extended warranty ended. when I bought mine a year ago, this place was the cheapest. https://www.neobrothers.co.uk/
Yeah wow. Crazy. I can find low mileage Citroen DS3 pumps for <$100 in Europe/Japan... Wikipedia seems to list the engine of the same year as being exactly the same as the Mini. Wonder if I should take a chance with one of those.

Old 02-27-2021, 06:18 PM
Gabe3
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jbourne
Yeah wow. Crazy. I can find low mileage Citroen DS3 pumps for <$100 in Europe/Japan... Wikipedia seems to list the engine of the same year as being exactly the same as the Mini. Wonder if I should take a chance with one of those.
can you link one on ebay or something?

Old 02-27-2021, 06:22 PM
jbourne
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Finch
Hi,

After using this DIY guide today I successfully swapped the HPFP on my 2007 R56 and this guide was excellent. However, I did want to share a few pointers from my experience.

I purchased a new replacement HPFP from a Peugeot/Citroen dealer for a fraction of the cost that BMW were quoting: £360 from Peugeot compared to £900 from BMW/MINI. The part is identical and is actually made by Continental in the Czech Republic so there's no point paying BMW/MINI for the pleasure.

When fitting the pump I couldn't for the life of me remove the low pressure feed. I tried various picks, screwdrivers and punches and it wouldn't come off. Instead I used a 13mm spanner and loosened the nut off that the fuel line connects to on the HPFP. This came off easily and then I simply removed the 13mm connector from the new HPFP and then screwed the line on to the new pump when it was in situ.

This means you don't have to mess around trying to get that annoying fuel line off. Just unscrew it and then screw it in to the new pump.

Another snag that hit me was when torquing down the three fasteners connecting the pump the engine. I'd set my torque wrench appropriately but one the fasteners snapped off! Managed to tease the end out and fortunately had a spare bolt lying around that did the job.

Moral of the story, get new fasteners and save yourself the risk.

Also took the opportunity to fit an ITG panel filter. I'm amazed that this has actually increased the standard BOV noise somewhat. Not bad considering it's cheaper than OEM.

Thanks again to the thread starter and for the other contributors. Much appreciated.
Ahh I just looked back at the thread. Indeed, looks like it would fit - excellent! I don't have any links right now, but I will scout around. I did find one in Russia, but getting it is ... a little nontrivial. But at least the spectrum of compatible cars is more than just the R56s, that's encouraging.

Old 04-12-2022, 08:47 PM
MissaR56
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some help

So I was taking the hpfp off or at least trying to when one of the screws broke of at the head and now it's stuck and I have no access to a welder I already tried drilling it but I have no room to do so as some of you might know. I guess my question is is it okay two just use two of the three screws to tighten it and keep it in place or should I take it to the shop to get it removed?

Old 04-12-2022, 08:58 PM
troyegly
4th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
What a bummer!

Are you sure you cannot get that screw out? I had a similar situation with my RSX Type S and I ended up picking up a right hand drill and that did the trick.
If it were me and even if two screws are adequate I would do whatever it took to have all three screws secure it.

But that is just me. Hopefully others will chime in and give you proper advice. If it will hold with two then why not go with two?

Old 04-12-2022, 09:10 PM
MissaR56
Neutral
Originally Posted by troyegly
What a bummer!

Are you sure you cannot get that screw out? I had a similar situation with my RSX Type S and I ended up picking up a right hand drill and that did the trick.
If it were me and even if two screws are adequate I would do whatever it took to have all three screws secure it.

But that is just me. Hopefully others will chime in and give you proper advice. If it will hold with two then why not go with two?
I Can try to get one but I was wondering if only two would work temporarily since that is my only car and I need it to get to and from work. Until I can get a right hand drill.

Old 04-12-2022, 09:14 PM
troyegly
4th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Does it feel tight? I believe if memory serves it should be okay. I totally get it if this is your only car.
Give it some time I know others out there will chime in

Old 04-12-2022, 09:21 PM
MissaR56
Neutral
Originally Posted by troyegly
Does it feel tight? I believe if memory serves it should be okay. I totally get it if this is your only car.
Give it some time I know others out there will chime in
It does feel tight and it doesn't wiggle or anything like that. I appreciate it you replying back thanks

Old 04-13-2022, 03:46 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,715 Likes on 1,382 Posts
I imagine it will be fine with just the two bolts, but I might not want to run it very long like that. Install the pump, and call a shop for an appointment right away to get it fixed.

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (05-31-2023)
Old 08-10-2023, 08:05 PM
KJD
Neutral
i’m having difficulty removing the low pressure fuel line from the hpfp. It seems someone else has done work in the past before I owned it ( it’s a 2007). the tabs seem to be broken off . I even used the special tool but to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 09-29-2023, 11:20 AM
Nordlicht
1st Gear
Location: I live in the northern part of Germany, just shy of the Germany-Denmark border
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KJD
i’m having difficulty removing the low pressure fuel line from the hpfp. It seems someone else has done work in the past before I owned it ( it’s a 2007). the tabs seem to be broken off . I even used the special tool but to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.
I had the same problem. You can still get it of. I detailed the process here: Snapped HPFP fuel hose clip!! - North American Motoring

If you are still not getting it of, try to press the inner part before moving the connector towards the pump.

Greetings.