Go Back  North American Motoring > 2nd Generation MINIs > Modifications > How to
Trunk lid grip button not working – DIY >

Trunk lid grip button not working – DIY

Trunk lid grip button not working – DIY

Old 02-20-2018, 01:57 PM
Seaswood
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Soder

Originally Posted by Todd Gerken View Post
I saw that. I was a little confused because it looks like there are 3 other wired in that image going to 1,2 and 3. Wasn't too sure what that was about. do all 3 get soldered together?
No, in the photo Tom has he used 1 & 3 to the new switch that is what I did.
Look at the photo again.
A iron with a fine point helps as does tinning the wires then I added just a little soder at the said wires on the board.
If you have never done anything like this get a practice board to test your methods.
Does not appear to be positive or negative at switch.
The switch momentary pushes volts to open the hatch.

Old 07-25-2018, 03:02 PM
Jacquelyn
Neutral
Randy - you are the man!! Thank you!

I'm a novice and your instructions were very thorough and descriptive. I did however have problems with removing the plastic shell covers. The clips on either end were really hard to remove and finally they just broke. But the rest of the clips were okay and everything seated properly and snuggly so even with the broken clips, it's not a problem. I tried and tried and tried not to break them. I took the new chrome shell cover off the new part first (as practice) just so I could see how to remove it. I'm glad I did because I broke the the chrome tabs also!

Getting the electrical housing apart with a little bit tricky. I didn't realize I was trying to get out the smaller piece. but it eventually came apart and everything works wonderfully! Thanks again for your post, you truly saved me hundreds of dollars.

Jacquie
😎

Originally Posted by RandyR90S View Post
For all the help I’ve received from DIY posts and videos, here’s my first attempt to ‘give back’….

Ride: 2007 Cooper S R56
Problem:
Rear hatch won't open via the handle on the door.
Pops open fine using the key fob.

On my 2007 Mini Cooper S (R56) the rear hatch / trunk lid failed to open using the handle on the trunk. It would only open using the button on the remote key fob.

It also seemed I wasn't getting the same 'feel' when squeezing the handle.
I had assumed (incorrectly) that the latch handle was a lever that pulled a cable attached to a lock mechanism. With only initial research I guessed one of the following:
  1. Broken latch lever and/or attached cable
  2. Programming option/error on the key lock function
  3. Issue with emergency release cable
I started with #2, programming option.
I wondered if somehow the locking options were disabling the rear handle, even though the car was unlocked. I followed the owners manual (page 23) to set the Automatic Locking option to off - central locking system remains unlocked. No luck, and no change.

Next I checked #3 - emergency release cable - since it didn't involve disassembly.
Page 23 of the owner's manual also describes how to lift the rear seat to locate the emergency pull cable. I found the cable pull ring on the passenger side and pulled.
It worked, there seemed to be a reasonable amount of slack in the cable, and it returned when released. Again, not the problem.

I finally went after #1 - failure in the mechanism.
Once removed, I discovered the handle didn't attach to a cable. Instead it was connected to an electrical switch, probably activating the same motor circuit the key fob used. I tested if the switch was bad by jumping the leads at the connector to open the door. This worked, pointing to the handle switch as the problem.

The DIY for the testing and replacement follows….

Old 08-11-2018, 08:08 PM
Frixos
2nd Gear
Is the new trunk lid grip improved or is it the same kind the cars came with?
If they haven't improved it, then is it not possible for the new one to break down in a few years?

Old 08-12-2018, 03:17 PM
Seaswood
2nd Gear
The switch looked like it was worth 0.50$ I rather doubt they improved the old parts they are selling.

if you can soder a electronic connection or have a friend that can, you can add a better switch.

Old 08-12-2018, 03:22 PM
Frixos
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Seaswood View Post
The switch looked like it was worth 0.50$ I rather doubt they improved the old parts they are selling.

if you can soder a electronic connection or have a friend that can, you can add a better switch.
Seawood,

i have spent a couple of hours on how to solder.
The main thing I’m wondering is how I know which switch to get. I don’t know how amps, v, resistance works. Would any momentary switch work?

Old 02-25-2019, 01:55 AM
George Philippo
Neutral
Has anyone found any where that sells that piece of rubber that covers the R56 trunk button yet or are we all distended to have to replace the whole unit?

Old 02-25-2019, 03:14 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts
if nothing is malfunctioning yet and all you have is the torn rubber cover ...... why not just glue a layer of something over the top.

I recently found this very problem on Mrs' R-59 and when I asked why she hadn't mentioned it she replied she never uses the ' boot button' <actually did not know there was one> She always uses the button on the FOB ..... I'm concerned about water intrusion tho so went looking for the part yada yada ..... happy to find this discussion.

I think I'm gonna start with nothing more than a hunk of GOOD quality vinyl tape to close the hole off. When that falls off I may go to some silicon sealer and a hunk of black rubber or maybe just a hunk of black plastic. If Mrs does not use the button why spend to save the button even if the painting of a primer replacement scares me not????? I can solder reasonably well too, so the alternate button idea is always an option and one I pondered ... nice to know someone has 'gone before'

Hint to the casual reader .... something to check!!!!!! Many don't use the boot button and it does not show in the normal position so you may not know there is a potential water issue. But a busted rubber cover can allow water to get into the boot assembly and that's never good. Mine would only get wet during a wash but as a compulsive car washer ... that's enuf to be a problem!!

Thanks gang