R50 Drivetrain :: Getrag 6-Speed Swap - Full How-To - Page 6 - North American Motoring

How to
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R50 Drivetrain :: Getrag 6-Speed Swap - Full How-To

Old 08-25-2017, 12:25 PM
Neutral

PDF needed

Does any one still have the pdf? please share
Old 08-27-2017, 02:15 PM
Neutral

Guide needed also

Quote:
Originally Posted by R5002 View Post
Does any one still have the pdf? please share
I also need the guide if anyone has it. My midlands tranny just failed and I have a 6-speed from an R53 JCW on its way.
Old 08-27-2017, 03:52 PM
4th Gear

Old 08-27-2017, 05:58 PM
Neutral

Bad link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thought of a good one View Post
Thanks for the link.

It looks like it is broken
Old 08-27-2017, 07:46 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.John View Post
Hey folks,
I know this topic is old, but anyways...

Which stock airbox are you running after the Getrag6 conversion?
I've got a R50 Late 2005 (FL). My stock airbox doesn't fit any more due to the new gearbox mount.
Oh we just use the DDM R50 intake as it fits, and makes more power with a cool sound.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/way-dd...ntake-r50.html
Old 08-28-2017, 07:05 AM
4th Gear

Old 10-26-2017, 06:32 AM
2nd Gear

Hey! I'm in the club too, we should start up the BKL- equipped R50 on Saturday! Thanks to everybody who posted about this, especially the guys from Texas who made that sweet pdf, it would not have been possible to do it without your help.

Any last- minute hints???
​​​​​​
Old 10-26-2017, 07:05 AM
4th Gear

take pictures of how things were before, should make things easier to put back together. Allow extra time and don't be like me when I do stuff, I get all excited and hurry which makes me miss things and it ends up taking longer than it would if I just slowed down and took my time. This is a big project even if you are skilled, have all the tools and parts ahead of time. I would like to do this one day when my rebuilt one dies... should have had done the swap 3 years ago...
Old 11-13-2017, 12:52 AM
2nd Gear

Experience, FFR

Hey guys! Swap completed, For Future Reference:

-Get a BKL box, is the one with the oem-fitted LSD, it is absolutely bonkers. It is by far the best bang-for-buck upgrade to a R50, it rips thru corners, the car is transformed, it changes how you drive, it becomes faster and safer.

-Look for parts in the UK, they have a culture for cars&motorsport like no one, when I called the guy there he was "oh I see, you are looking for an R50 box conversion kit, ya I have them ready".
So really easy to source parts there from brand-specific massive scrapyards, they`ll ship you also all the bolts you may need.
Also their spare part prices are insanely good compared to continental Europe, like 70% lower. IDK about the USA.

-Get also the gearlever and bowden cables from the donor car & remember to lube them very well. Saves a lot of time, just fit as-is.

-Get the flywheel and clutch kit from Valeo, the single-mass one. It goes with the year and model of donor car, not receiver one. With a bit of ebay-searching you`ll get a great great price on it (again, I love you UK)

-Have a vacuum thing for clutch line purging if you want to do the thing with everything already in place, otherwise the siphon in the circuit makes it a rather annoying operation. Most shop nowadays have one, worth using it.

-Don`t really worry for small bits, you may end up wasting a lot of money on little un-needed parts (if the place where you get the box from is good a lot of little bits/piping/clips/etc will be included anyway) and still being stuck for another small one you didn`t think of in advance. Just plan to keep the car in the shop for 8-10gg so when/if little bits are needed you wait for them to arrive the next day.

Can`t think of anything else right now, hope the above help.

10/10 would do again.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:13 AM
2nd Gear

Again FFR: attached to this message is your main guide for the swap, the great .pdf file "Fixing the weak link" by Texas Speedwerks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FixingtheWeakLink(1).pdf (2.04 MB, 132 views)
Old 11-14-2017, 07:03 AM
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame

Congratulations with your successful conversion. I echo your positive experience working with the Brits. They are really a nice bunch. Always very responsive and professional. I contacted two outfits there for an LSD. Both responded promptly and I felt bad for the second one just being a day later, because they were referred by Quarfe. The one I went with had the LSD to me by the third business day - this is from UK to West coast USA.

On your point about buying used assemblies. What trouble me here in USA is ashhole sellers strip off the small parts and sell you just the bare minimum instead of everything that you need. They then get to sell you many other pieces a la carte. R56 cast aluminum rear arm for R53 conversion is one excellent example.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:28 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwerks View Post
Many of you may have read our trials on swapping in the Getrag 6-speed, and some may have read the pared down article in NAM Alliance... The full tech article was a mere 30ish pages (which, naturally, would have taken up a lot of space... hah!).

Anyway, we've sent out lots of electronic copies - so, rather than have to send it out, we've put it online for all to enjoy and contemplate.

It's the full story, with a parts list, tips and tricks, suggestions, etc.

Enjoy! (someone might wanna make this a sticky?)

Slow connections beware, this is a 3MB file!

http://www.txwerks.com/images/Instal..._Weak_Link.pdf
Hi everyone. Does anyone still have a copy of the install installation artical? I am considering doing the conversion. Thanks
Old 02-14-2018, 04:39 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by S6616 View Post

Hi everyone. Does anyone still have a copy of the install installation artical? I am considering doing the conversion. Thanks
it is the pdf attached to the post 2 places above yours
Old 02-14-2018, 06:19 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caterpillaraoz View Post
it is the pdf attached to the post 2 places above yours
thank you so much.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:59 PM
Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfrom619 View Post
Hi everyone,

I have a 2004 mini cooper I'm not planning on racing my mini but sometimes I have a heavy right foot. Right now I have a shattered tranny due to running over a large pot hole now I'm leaning toward the 6 speed conversion due to its durability my question is do I need to buy a aftermarket clutch and flywheel to do this swap or I can pretty much use whatever parts that will come out of cooper S. I have about 4k in funds is that sufficient enough to do the swap? I live about 2 minutes from the junkyard here in San Diego CA. Thanks in advance.
The r53 6 speed trans bolts right on. You need Cooper s axles and the shifter cables off the Cooper s as well. Everything else will be the same. No modifications at all. The shifter cables might take you a bit to position but nothing major.
Old 07-04-2018, 06:18 AM
6th Gear

Any clutch and flywheel for an S will do (I used Valeo
but oem or aftermarket also work).
Starter, trans mount bracket, and a few more misc bits and pieces
from an S are also needed.