North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   How to (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/how-to-340/)
-   -   How To DIY: Home Depot front lip (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/how-to/134194-diy-home-depot-front-lip.html)

EDM 03-29-2008 12:37 PM

DIY: Home Depot front lip

5 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone,

i had made a post about modding my car within very little monitary limitations ( a "ghetto minivation" some may say). It was requested i make a DIY for those unsure. So here it goes.

Suggested Time/ Difficulty:
  • Very simple mod, took about a half and hour with wheel ramps
Supplies Used:
  • Garage Door Bottom Seal
  • 3m Double Sided Tape
  • Scissors
  • About 8 Screws and 1/4" washers
  • Drill with small bit
Attachment 167619

Directions:
  • Break out the jack stands or wheel ramps and get your lift on! For easier access to the bottom of the bumper
  • Start on one side of the bumper and attach the Bottom Seal to the bumper using one of the pre-existing screws on the bumper, near where the bumper meets the corner peice.
  • 3M time! Run 3m along the Bottom Seal and Start to apply the Bottom Seal to the bumper, making certain the seal is in the position of your liking
Attachment 167620
  • Attach the other end to the bumper, using the pre-existing screw, then trim the excess (i have very sharp fingers)
Attachment 167621
  • Heres where you get to drill into your prized MINI ( unless you feel ok with just the 3M adhering it ). I just drilled a small guidehole, then used a screw and washer, and worked my way across the bumper, spacing them about 4" apart as shown below.
Attachment 167622
  • Thats about it, as a finishing touch i used the same goo i do on my molding to darken the "lip" to better match the shimmer and color
  • Go Drive! Hope this helps scratch you modding itch without smashing you piggybank!
Attachment 167623

R56 Ed 03-29-2008 12:49 PM

That's just too cool for words! Truly nice looking mod for a great price. Suggestion: you might want to stay out of some of the the other aisles at Home Depot. Goodness knows what might get bolted on your MINI next :eek2: :grin:
Well done :thumbsup:

EDM 03-29-2008 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by hypnohealer (Post 2126076)
That's just too cool for words! Truly nice looking mod for a great price. Suggestion: you might want to stay out of some of the the other aisles at Home Depot. Goodness knows what might get bolted on your MINI next :eek2: :grin:
Well done :thumbsup:

I got a nice vinyl siding rear wing in the works right now! Just Kidding.

R56 Ed 03-29-2008 12:56 PM

I know, I know, the devil made you do it, right? :cool:

Actually, I was thinking more of a garage door opener attached to the boot :lol: :lol: :lol:

RussellCory 03-29-2008 01:34 PM

DIY innovations just plain rock. Thanks for the writeup.

blue_bomber 03-29-2008 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by EDM (Post 2126078)
I got a nice vinyl siding rear wing in the works right now! Just Kidding.

that cracked me up! good write up, thanks for taking the time! :thumbsup:

sprp85 03-29-2008 08:45 PM

so they are flexible huh? I might get these done then :grin:

tazio 03-29-2008 08:56 PM

You gotta luv ghetto mods. :thumbsup:

minimarks 03-29-2008 09:09 PM

Dang, that looks really good! Wonder if you could attach something stiffer to it on the back side....:thumbsup:

Shifti 03-29-2008 09:45 PM

Who would of thought? Good work. :thumbsup:

VRBeauty 03-29-2008 11:04 PM

Hmmm.... kind of a mini cow catcher, but wayyyy cooler. :wink: Very nice! :thumbsup:

MINI Monkey 03-29-2008 11:45 PM

That's petty great!:thumbsup: I hope to see this MOD in person. Are you on HRMINI.com? If not, check it out.

minjae 03-30-2008 12:27 AM

very subtle and nice indeed. i like. maybe i might do this mod when im bored at work with nothing to do. :thumbsup:

EDM 03-30-2008 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by MINI Monkey (Post 2126838)
That's petty great!:thumbsup: I hope to see this MOD in person. Are you on HRMINI.com? If not, check it out.

Haha, yep. Havent been on in a while. My name's David, shoot me a PM if you ever wanna get up.

I cant wait to see how this lip looks when i actually lower the car, as i just ordered suspension from Chad at DT!

SNEEEZY - Erika 03-30-2008 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by EDM (Post 2126907)
Haha, yep. Havent been on in a while. My name's David, shoot me a PM if you ever wanna get up.

I cant wait to see how this lip looks when i actually lower the car, as i just ordered suspension from Chad at DT!

Hi, David! (I'm also a member of HRMINI!)

What setup did you order from Chad?

MINI Monkey 03-30-2008 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by EDM (Post 2126907)

Let me know if you need an extra set of hands for you suspension work. I would be glad to help. :thumbsup:

EDM 03-30-2008 08:34 AM

Awesome, HR people! Well hopefully we'll get to meet. I ordered the Koni Yellow/HSport setup, and am hoping to install it on Saturday, so any help would be much appreciated, because im just gonna wing it.

I plan on trying to do a nice detailed writeup on the Suspension as well

MINIMM 03-30-2008 11:53 AM

Great mod.

However as one who tried it, if your MINI hits on the bottom often like mine does at the entrance of my driveway from the street don't expect it to last long as the rubber isn't too durable. :sad:

However if you don't have this problem like me, then do it as it's a great mod and it looks great. :thumbsup:

EDM 03-30-2008 06:29 PM

well i definatley encourage and am interested in different variants of this mod on minis.

SNEEEZY - Erika 03-30-2008 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by EDM (Post 2127107)
Awesome, HR people! Well hopefully we'll get to meet. I ordered the Koni Yellow/HSport setup, and am hoping to install it on Saturday, so any help would be much appreciated, because im just gonna wing it.

I plan on trying to do a nice detailed writeup on the Suspension as well

Cool! PM me...I'd like to be there to watch & assist (limited assistance since I'm still healing from a 2nd-degree burn from the airbag!)...but I type 110+ wpm and I'd be happy to type info into my laptop during the installation process & work with you on cleaning up the writeup!

I want to get that same setup for Schultze, but I've been advised to wait a few weeks after the repairs to make sure everything is in order (runs properly, etc. etc.) since the insurance company/collision center isn't responsible for any upgrades to the suspension.

AstroBlackS 03-30-2008 06:41 PM

sweet mod!

kenchan 03-30-2008 07:04 PM

lol! :lol: make it bigger so you can squeegee the garage floor while backing
out? :grin: :wink:

89AKurt 03-30-2008 07:17 PM

Could you add pictures to my Dorky Cheapskate thread?
It might not really qualify if it costs more than $5.:wink:

Evowned 03-31-2008 07:27 AM

Nice! Sub's for future reference

EDM 04-01-2008 05:51 PM

Just got suspension, so im gonna be pretty excited to see what this is will look like.