Houston MINI Motoring Society The forum of Houston MINI Motoring Society. We are the club to join if you love MINIs or Minis and live in the Houston area whether you own one or not! Visit our club site at www.hmms.org

Rate the dealer!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 06:10 PM
noraa
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rate the dealer!

So Houston has Momentum mini and Mini of Woodlands
On a scale to 0-10 (10 being the best) rate your experience of the dealer and your buying experience.

I went to Momentum mini, off of southwest mini
I met Alex who was the MA, pretty cool guy. I talked to him about autox and alot of other things. Test drive went great and very down to earth guy. He introduced me to this forum.

Well i placed the order on my Mini Cooper S and everything went fine. I didn't mind that he didn't pick up his phone or called back, as long as he replied to my emails. Well the mini came in and i couldn't pick it up for a few weeks.

When i did go and finalize the paper work, the man didn't seem to show any concern to making a sell. He seemed a tad bit busy so i would seem like he was a bit rude. I asked him if he could go any lower on the price, he said with firm feet on the ground, we only sell at sticker price. It was ok that he didn't want to give us any discounts, but the fact that he came off a bit rude i have to say really made me pretty mad. He seem like our business didn't even matter to him. Whether or not he made a sell really didn't bother him.

So i walked out. hopefully i can find a better experience at woodlands. If not then i will just get the mini i ordered.

Afterwards I went to the Mazda dealership, and wow, they were trying to hook me into buying a Mazdaspeed3. Compared to the mini dealer these people really wanted my business.

Sorry about writing a book on my life. i give the dealer a 6. I asked my MA if they hand wash or machine wash, he told me hand. I then saw that BMW uses machine wash... I was pretty disappointed at that too.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:33 PM
JC Scooper
3rd Gear
Hey noraa, sorry to hear about your MINI dealer experience.

I haven't dealt with Momentum to any extent due to my location, but I know Laurie [?] was very helpful to me in looking through inventory to see if she could match my search. Ordinarily, I would say you just caught someone having a bad day, but I must admit it sounds like more than that.

I'm about ten minutes from MINI of The Woodlands. When I lost my 05MCS in February, the Sales Manager, Domico, found me a car matching my requirements in mid-ocean and had it redirected here. I had my new 08MCS in about 3 wks and have been delighted with it and by how easy Domico made the process for me. Unfortunately he has moved onward and upward. I barely had a chance to thank him, but I'm pretty sure he knew how much it meant to me to find the right replacement! I don't know the new Sales Manager, Wade, but do know super MA Keith and the Service writers and have had nothing but good experiences with them.

I hope you will at least give them a chance. No guarantees, but I think you will be happy you did!

-john

Old 05-12-2008, 01:19 PM
noraa
2nd Gear
Update:

I was tired of woodlands mini not picking up their phone calls. So i emailed tony. Right off the bat he quoted me 500 below sticker. I didn't even really talk to him yet! so i guess i will move on with ordering from mini at woodlands

Old 05-13-2008, 06:35 AM
MiniPlay
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by noraa
Update:

I was tired of woodlands mini not picking up their phone calls. So i emailed tony. Right off the bat he quoted me 500 below sticker. I didn't even really talk to him yet! so i guess i will move on with ordering from mini at woodlands
Welcome to the MINI World! So what are you ordering?

Old 05-13-2008, 01:37 PM
noraa
2nd Gear
most likely the same exact car i ordered in the first place

2008 MCS 6-speed
Chili red with black and black bonnet stripes
Sports package
LSD

thats about it, planning to mod my car later on.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:23 AM
BrandonH
3rd Gear
I didn't like things with Momentum mini either the Finance guy talked so fast he sounded like a snake oil sales man and as we passed on things he would sigh real loud like a little kid and ask "Are you SURE you don't want the tire hazards insurance repair?" We would say no and he sarcastically said "OOOOKKKK" But Mark one of the guys who works in service is pretty cool so far. Sorry about your bad experience
Ps i didn't get better than sticker price but i got some free schwag form Momentum

Old 05-14-2008, 09:06 AM
MiniPlay
3rd Gear
I purchased the tire / wheel insurance that was offered from Momentum. I think the cost was $600 at the time. It was well worth it.

I managed to severly bend two wheels, and had three run flats destroyed. The warranty covered it all. Wheels are $500 or so each, and run flats are anywhere from $280 to $330 each. I made the $600 back and then some!

I think everyone has a different walk away feeling when talking to any finance person. My experience was good, I was up front what I wanted and simply stated I would want nothing else, I'll listen to the spill, but don't expect anything more than what I've already promised up front. The process was quick and I didn't walk away with any soreness!

Old 05-14-2008, 10:59 AM
JC Scooper
3rd Gear
noraa, nice looking MINI you are planning, I love chili red... I built many in that color online in 05, usually with white top, to be named Hamlet in honor of my Danish background and Danish colors. Its a real MINI color! Was one of my top choices, at least until I went Jet Black! And its great that MoTW will discount it a bit for you. If and when you get to the MoTW finance guy, I think you'll be pleased. Fred was very easy to work with and we hit it off quite well. Like MiniPlay, I listened to everything but agreed to less than I had with my first MINI and there was no pressure. I too had the wheel and tire insurance on my 05 but never got to use it. Did not get it this time. I also had windshield insurance. Used it once and when they replaced the original they put in a really great piece of glass that took all kinds of hits without a scratch, so I never got to use it a second time. So I almost, but not quite, recovered my investment. I thought in Houston I would need that more.
Good luck! Hope you will be able to catch one of our meetings!
-John

Old 05-27-2008, 03:48 PM
Seventh or better
1st Gear
I am sorry to hear you did not have the best experience at Momentum. As an employee here I try to make sure all of our customers not only get exactly what they want, but also have fun during the process of buying the car. Our policies are designed with this in mind as well.

A couple of things surprised me when I read your post. First, when we order a car for someone we always make sure the price is agreed on before we take the deposit and actually place the order. Second, because of the demand for the MINI we have a 72 hour hold policy for ordered vehicles. This gives our ordering customers first right of refusal and exclusive rights to their ordered car for three days.

The reason we agree on a price before ordering is twofold. First and foremost we want to have happy customers so we put all the cards on the table right up front. Surprises are a bad thing when talking about money, I am sure you can agree. If a customer knows exact figures they can make the necessary financial arrangements while their car is on the Atlantic and they know exactly what to prepare for. In fact, it is mandatory for our customers to sign their order sheets to confirm the options and pricing before a manager will order the car. Also important are the other customers who want to order cars. If we do not have a mutual commitment on a car, why order it and delay all of our other customers who want to order that kind of car?

Again, I am sorry you were disappointed by our poicy; however consider it from the other angle. What if we had agreed to a certain price on your ordered car and when it arrived we decided to raise the price? I am sure you can see the inequity in that.

In addition, the fact that Alex got authorization to hold your car for you for two weeks is exceptional. Our 72 hold policy does have exceptions of course, and we try to accommodate our customers as much as we can. That being said, two weeks is quite a long time and way outside of our normal parameters. Alex must have been particularly persuasive on your behalf in convincing management to hold the car for you that long. Ordered cars that are not picked up in a certain time frame can actually cause our dealership to lose future cars and order slots, making the wait for our other customers longer than necessary.

One more thing, not sure where you got the machine wash idea from, but all of our new cars get a hand wash and wax before leaving the dealership. We do not machine wash them.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:23 PM
haygood
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I called one MA the other day to get an idea what the ordering process was like. I'll either order out of Dallas or Houston. I'm writing in to bump this thread up because I'd really like to hear more opinions of MoTW and Momentum. What do these guys do to help me choose which dealership to buy from?

I've been to two in Houston and two in Dallas as I've travelled through each city with questions. I'm having trouble finding one that really stands out.

Momentum has a new finance manager, BTW.
Thanks.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:37 PM
MiniPlay
3rd Gear
Houston is a city of 4+ people and two dealerships not only serving Houston, but areas WAY outside of Houston. Areas such as Lake Jackson, Dayton, Galveston, Winnie, Baytown, Katy to name a few.

I've bought two MINIs from Momentum. The process was fine. Both were , never consider anything on the lot.

I knew exactly what I wanted before going into the dealership, actually traded e-mails with the service advisor, most if not all questions partianing to items on the car were already answered.

Went down, did the order, agreed on price, signed intent for ordering, then waited. The pick up process was fine with both, again, knew what I wanted and what I didn't want made it cleared. Some of the spill is required to go over, I probably zoned out and let the guy speak his pitch, then signed the papers... went out to the car went over it, then I motored off!

But back to my comment about Houston and the popularity. MINI isn't like Toyota or Honda, where you have a 5+ dealerships, there are only two. They both have limits of how many cars their dealership can order, they have a limited sales force, and of course the most important they both have limited capactiy for servicing. You should know that before getting a MINI. Sometimes turn around is quick in service and othertimes it hasn't been for me. Depends on their load, problem, parts, etc. Momentum is expanding their service bay area, hopefully will be adding more technicans. I would be happy to see three sales people and 5 or 7 service advisors! It seems right now it is the other way around.

I also have a BMW, I use Advantage for service in downtown. One it is easier for me to get to, and their online website is very easy to schedule appointments.

Momentum MINI's website for service to me falls short, I've pointed that out, perhaps they will act on my suggestions at some point. I can't speak for The woodlands if they have an online and if so, how well it works.

Good luck on purchasing your MINI, we've been pleased with ours and the extras that comes with it, a community of owners that seem to share.

One last note, if you have a bad experience at either dealership, be constructive in your critisim and direct it to the manager first at either location, not the online world. It may be other circumstances outside that particular person ability for that situation or timing to make things right. One of the important things a manager can do is take a high level top to down view of the situation and see what can be done to fix it. They want happy customers, as happy customer brings more happy customers. So let the manager know if you have problems.

Old 06-21-2008, 06:38 AM
Tex Susbo
2nd Gear
Momentum

Originally Posted by haygood
What do these guys do to help me choose which dealership to buy from?
I placed an order with Momentum about a week ago. I'd echo Miniplay's comments for the most part. I did the vast majority of my work over email. These cars are flying off the lot so MAs don't have to work very hard to get business. I think most of their time is spent tracking orders and communicating with us folks waiting!

I went with Momentum mostly because they are close to home and work and will make service much easier when. . . er. . IF its needed.

Folks were friendly but I had to drive the process. Some would say no pressure. . . I would say no interest. Willing to help but mostly just order takers. That said, I felt my needs were met and I was given a break on some accessories and add-ons which made me happy. Haven't taken delivery yet so can't comment on that aspect of Momentum. I'll be so happy to get Bob that I doubt anything will wipe the smile off my face.

My suggestion: go with the dealer that is easiest for you to work with. Overall sales experience will be pretty much the same. I would focus on ease of dropping off and picking up your car. Also ask about loaner programs, valet service, etc. MM doesn't do valet (pick-up/drop-off) but they do have a customer-only loaner program.

Tex

Old 06-21-2008, 07:31 AM
Apple
6th Gear
I have to say I looked at 3 dealers all over 1 hour away, Downtown Mini in Orlando was the best place for me, they knew everything and gave me the best deal on my trade in mini! Very Happy!

Old 08-01-2008, 09:11 AM
JIMI
1st Gear
Intent for ordering? Deposit? Shoot - after Wade at MoTW placed the order at his desk I asked him what he needed from me and he said, "nothing, see you in 8 weeks."

Old 08-01-2008, 10:43 AM
Tex Susbo
2nd Gear
Update

Originally Posted by Tex Susbo
I placed an order with Momentum about a week ago. I'd echo Miniplay's comments for the most part. I did the vast majority of my work over email. These cars are flying off the lot so MAs don't have to work very hard to get business. I think most of their time is spent tracking orders and communicating with us folks waiting!

I went with Momentum mostly because they are close to home and work and will make service much easier when. . . er. . IF its needed.

Folks were friendly but I had to drive the process. Some would say no pressure. . . I would say no interest. Willing to help but mostly just order takers. That said, I felt my needs were met and I was given a break on some accessories and add-ons which made me happy. Haven't taken delivery yet so can't comment on that aspect of Momentum. I'll be so happy to get Bob that I doubt anything will wipe the smile off my face.

Tex
Picked Bob up last night. The entire process took 6 weeks. Once Bob hit the US in Charleston, my MA did a great job of keeping me informed of his whereabouts and progress. Very satisfied with Alexander's work. Now I'm a motorin' around.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:22 PM
Mini Bo Bini
2nd Gear
Since you ASKED..... Momentum Mini -5, MOTW 4

I called Momentum Mini when I first started looking and spoke to an MA who wasn't all that interested in answering questions over the phone. OK. I drove from 290/Telge to 59 and started looking around on the lot. After 20 minutes, I walked into the showroom and looked around another 10-15 minutes. No sales person EVER asked if I needed help. Must not need my $31K so I left.

Went to MOTW a day or two later and met up with MA who was friendly and helpful. Test drove a loaded MCSa. About 2-3 weeks later, sent the MA my build. No deposit required. MA said he could get $250 off MSRP with manager approval. Ordered Bo and started the wait. 3 weeks later, I called a couple of times leaving messages with the MA to return my call "at his convenience". Must've been VERY inconvenient 'cause he didn't return calls and wouldn't answer emails. Finally....was forced to email service manager which lit a fire under the MA.

When Bo arrived, it was another 3-4 days before they had him ready for pickup. Installed the driving lights and sport stripes for free but didn't discount the $250 previously promised.

Finance manager was very irritating as well. Tried to pressure the she-wolf and I into financing with Mini when he knew we already had the check in hand. Turned her loose on him and things went much better after that.

Overall, a poor experience. One that I won't make the mistake of repeating.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:43 AM
Quesera
5th Gear
Originally Posted by haygood
I called one MA the other day to get an idea what the ordering process was like. I'll either order out of Dallas or Houston. I'm writing in to bump this thread up because I'd really like to hear more opinions of MoTW and Momentum. What do these guys do to help me choose which dealership to buy from?

I've been to two in Houston and two in Dallas as I've travelled through each city with questions. I'm having trouble finding one that really stands out.

Momentum has a new finance manager, BTW.
Thanks.
I was very happy with Moritz MINI (Arlington). They were patient, persistent, attentive, but not pushy. They made it worth my while to travel up there. They kept us informed along the process via email and phone, and everything agreed to was delivered. Finance guy was informative but not aggressive. I would definitely do it again.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:31 AM
tx-jbird
2nd Gear
I have no complaints about Momentum. My MA is now the finance manager. When Tex Susbo wanted a MINI, I called Lee Carter and he put us in touch with Alex. Read Susbo's comments, he is happy.

In regards to the service department, they have always treated me well. One of the service reps was a bit slick for my taste but he is no longer there. I have no complaints about the quality of work done there.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:57 AM
MINI_chili
3rd Gear
I bought my MINI from MotW
I bought one that had been ordered, but no one came back for it. They were really helpful and ended up giving me free tinting and invisishield (ps- I really don't think the invisishield is worth the money (unless you spend all day on the highway behind dump trucks carrying small rocks)
back to the dealership---since I bought the car I have only brought it in for 1 service in which i pretty much just dropped the car off, then picked it up-no hassles and I've bought parts on 2 occasions real quick and easy-called as I left for the dealership, and the part was ready to stick in my car by the time i got there, the parts dept. is very helpful
I give the woodlands a 10

Old 10-07-2008, 10:44 PM
jjp007
4th Gear
I bought mine from Momentum and it was a fine experience. Like others I knew what I wanted. I wanted to walk around without feeling hassled and no one bothered me. I told the receptionist I would like to talk to someone and she helped me right away. Sure they are busy as all get out and no one really acknowledged me but that was fine by me. No pressure all the way. I test drove one and by the time I got back it was sold. My MA was Matthew Kelly and he was very nice and not pushy at all. I placed my order when I came back the next day or two and he put the order in and I even made some changes to my order via email (2 or 3 times) and every time I got a very quick response. I put down a deposit and signed my order form. I got calls regarding the status of my car being built and when I picked Nigel up the process was fairly painless. So far so good. I am still waiting on my bag holder which I am getting for free. I might add a few things when the service department is back up and functioning.
I was happy with my experience and have recommended Matthew to a friend who is going to buy one. :D

Oh and like txjbird said, Lee Carter is the new finance manager and so very nice and not pushy at all. Of course he has to do his thing and tell you about all the different options but he didn't pressure me at all. I did end up getting the extended warranty but that is because I keep my cars for a while.

Last edited by jjp007; 10-07-2008 at 10:55 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:23 PM
texasmontego
4th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Bought my 07' MCS from Momentum and dealt with MA Jason Lee. He was excellent. Very honest and straight up person. I went back and talked to him about ordering an 09' JCW and he remembered me when I walked in. I'll definitely be dealing with him when I'm ready to order.
I've found Momentum to be very customer friendly. I'm the kind of person I don't want to be bothered until I'm ready. I can't stand going in to dealers only to be attacked the second I walk in. Momentum was a very clam place. No pressure.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:48 PM
alexh3791
Neutral
I haven't purchased a MINI from either of these dealerships but I get mine serviced at MINI of the Woodlands, and I am always very pleased with the service I get...

Old 12-22-2008, 01:36 PM
betterways
2nd Gear
I bought mine from Momentum a few years ago. I guess the experience was fine. It was my first new car purchase and there weren't any deals to be had. I did hate that I couldn't get a 'good deal' though.

This summer, I wanted to see about trading in for an 07 or later that got better mileage, so contacted both telling them what I wanted and asking them to let me know if/when they had something. They wanted me to come out. I kept telling them I didn't want to drive all the way there, just let me know what they have or what's coming etc. Neither would do it. Although when I was looking for my first Mini, a guy from the Woodlands would call and let me know what they had coming in.

I do wish the other BMW/other European car dealer in town would sell/service Minis though. For some reason I can't think of their name, but all their dealerships are inside the loop.

I'm also not happy with my last trip to Momentum for maintenance a few weeks ago.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:30 PM
chewbakkah
2nd Gear
My wife and i bought our mini used at momentum 3 days ago. first we went in on Thursday and test drove a used convertible, had them run the finance stuff on it that night as we got there RIGHT before close (we live way out of town). They worked on the finance thing on friday and gave us an offer on payments and things early sat morning. I had to work all day Saturday and got off at 5, the dealership closes at 6 apparently. Called them when i got off and told them i would be there as soon as possible, Our MA stayed at work late to wait for us. We didn't like the payment they offered us on the convertible so we went with a coupe instead, LOVE the car and am glad we went with it. Here is what i have to say about the people i dealt with:

Randy Nester (our MA): Great guy, very nice. Smart sellsman (suggested the wife test drive the car). Didn't make stuff up, if he didn't know the answer he went and found it out rather than acting like he did. Worked late both times we went up there. Second time he didn't leave till we did with our car, they closed at 6 we left at 830 on a saturday! Worked diligently to get our car ready to go while we went to the finance office. Worked to get us a GREAT price on 2 different used cars (only bought one though), Helped get us free stuff.

Lee Carter (our finance guy): Funny, light attitude. Gave us the things we wanted at the price we wanted. Still did his job of offereing us the things he was supposed to without being pushy. Got us in quick and out quick without a whole bunch of hassel.

So what i would tell anyone buying in houston, i have no idea what MoTW offers but i wouldn't pass on the chance to deal with Randy Nestor. I have all of his contact info so if you would like it just PM me as i don't want to release all of it on the interwebz for everyone else. so i guess i'd give them a 10

Old 02-23-2009, 07:41 PM
JC Scooper
3rd Gear
Hey chewbakkah! Welcome to our forum here on NAM! And congrats to you and your wife on your new MINI!

We hope you can make one of our HMMS monthly meetings...Next one is at Panera Bread on March 7th, before many of us join MiniPlay on a fun drive. Check out the stickied threads near the top of this forum for details on both.

And, if you haven't found us there, try out metroplexmini.org for a great Texas MINI site. HMMS has our own forum there, courtesy of metroplexmini.

Thanks for your report on your MINI purchase at Momentum. Sounds like you were well treated and that is always great to hear!

John

Quick Reply: Rate the dealer!