North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Hawaii (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/hawaii-28/)
-   -   Tentative MINI meet/cruise Apr. 26@ Ala Moana (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/hawaii/7740-tentative-mini-meet-cruise-apr-26-ala-moana.html)

MiniMe762 04-01-2003 09:32 PM

How about it guys? Kohu'ulaMINI suggested the venue, and I think it's a good one, but I hope others are interested too. Here's the details so far (keep in mind everything is tentative):

When: April 26 at 4pm, following the High Performance Driving School (Sponsored by BMW Car Club of Hawaii and MINI of Hawaii)
Where: Meet in the parking lot of Hawaii Raceway Park
What: Gathering of MINI motorers followed by a cruise (Kam Hwy?)
Who: MINI owners (including those whose MINIs haven't arrived yet... Miniphyter: Bring the Jetta!) and enthusiasts.

I personally think everyone should be invited, whether they own a MINI or not. We already know what the focus of our attention will be! Like I said, this is a tentative plan, and I am hoping everyone will be able/willing to attend. If this is a bad time, let me know. I am also open to other ideas if anyone has one. But I'm really excited to share my MINI enthusiasm with others!

As for the driving school, I think that would be fun too, and am seriously considering going to that as well. MINI may not be the fastest set of wheels out there, but it is certainly one of the most fun!

So who is down with the plan? And pass the word... It would be great to see a quarter-mile parade of MINIs!

Jason

MCO#904 FRS Channel 7-21
Indi Blue MINI Cooper w/ white bonnet stripes...THE cool ride in Paradise!

Miniphyter808 04-01-2003 10:17 PM

Hey MiniMe sounds like a plan. And I will bring the Jetta, but if my some miricale my Mini gets here before that date then......so anyplace in particular you want to go after. Probably drive down to Kakaako park if traffic permits. Or anyplace where Mini owners/owners to be could talk. HRP sounds good to meet but remember to bring you sunscreen the Leeward side sun will roast ya. :grin:

MiniMe762 04-02-2003 05:23 PM

Excellent! I'm glad you'll be joining us! And bring the sun on... being on a submarine is horrible for my tan! :lol:

Jason

Kohu'ulaMINI 04-02-2003 07:02 PM

Since I did suggest the venue, I'm in, too!! :smile:

Now, let's get the word out. I'll try to PM members in the Hawaii roll call and some of the MINI owners around my area. Maybe talk to our Motoring Advisor and drop a hint.

Miniphyter808, I'll light a candle to my MINI shrine in hopes for an early MINI delivary! :wink: :lol:

dtmmini 04-02-2003 10:44 PM

hey i am from the big island but i might be over in oahu on the 26th so i will try and join you guys over there wish i could ship the mini over but oh well :???: :cry: darn the ocean

MiniMe762 04-02-2003 10:47 PM

As soon as you get that Austin Powers mod for underwater operations, things will get much easier... :grin:

I hope you can join us!

Jason

SouthSeaSadie 04-03-2003 01:47 PM

>>So who is down with the plan? And pass the word... It would be great to see a quarter-mile parade of MINIs!
>>

Count me in. I will let the few Mini owners I know how to contact about it. I was in the dealership yesterday and, giving up on them organizing a MC owners club (as they promised to do a year ago), have contacted the BMW club guy (who they said owns two--count 'em--two Minis.

I would like to organize a drive-'round-the-theatre/boot party for the opening of The Italian Job on May 30 (I think the premiere is a couple days before that). Our dealer will be loaning them some cars, but a whole mob of Minis circling the place would be so cool. I imagine the theatre would cooperate with us (maybe free tickets? Dream on...)

Sylvia

Miniphyter808 04-03-2003 11:03 PM

>>I would like to organize a drive-'round-the-theatre/boot party for the opening of The Italian Job on May 30 (I think the premiere is a couple days before that). Our dealer will be loaning them some cars, but a whole mob of Minis circling the place would be so cool. I imagine the theatre would cooperate with us (maybe free tickets? Dream on...)
>>
>>Sylvia

ohhh that would be cool, I'm sure my Mini will be here by then :lol: .

SouthSeaSadie 04-04-2003 03:01 PM

Howzit?

Just talked to Bryan Okuda, pres of the BMW Car Club of Hawaii (who has a Mini too) and he said plans for the 26th are going well and there should be some TV coverage of the event a day or two beforehand.

Any Minis who come that afternoon are welcome and hopefully, we can start to build some sort of mailing list for future events.

A hui hou,
Sylvia

The_Beastmaster 04-04-2003 04:57 PM

Here I am. I guess my secret is out about BMW CCA! I figure the premier of IJ will be at the Ward Theatre Megaplex and that would be a great place to have a MINI night. Maybe they'll even have reserved parking for us.

Jason,

It's not a good idea to meet at the HRP parking lot on the 26th. We have to be off the track by 4 because they have drag racing that evening. The drag racers will probably be lining up @ 3:30 at the 1/4 mile entrance. The Spring Flingers will be exiting from the Hawaii International Racing School driveway. Also, there is actually a drivers and instructors get together at HIRS after the event. Cars should be lined up from HIRS out to the road.

MiniMe762 04-04-2003 08:59 PM

Beastmaster:

Thanks for the updated info. I agree, it's probably not the best time meet if they have other events going on.

How about meeting in the Ala Moana SHopping Center parking lot (near the Nordstrom's valet) at 5? That would give the Spring FLingers a chance to show up afterward, and parking is plentiful! From there, we can decide which direction we want to go.

Again, I need some feedback on this idea. Who is interested? Any other suggestions/venues? I want this to be a really fun and exciting get-together. Hopefully, it will be the first of many! And the IJ idea is great! Keep the ideas coming.

Jason

Kohu'ulaMINI 04-05-2003 01:32 AM

Ala Moana is OK by me.
I was just reading my BMWCC of Hawaii info packet for the driving school and The_Beastmaster is correct about the HRP parking issue....out by 4pm!!

Since this is our first real attempt to organize a GTG, change and flexibility is good. A 5 pm meet sounds good.

SouthSeaSadie is diligently working on the IJ venue. We're trying to squeeze out info from the MINI dealer so stay tuned :wink:

A MINI "boot" party/meet at the opening of the IJ is a good idea. Mahalo, SouthSeaSadie.
A "medley of MINIs" cruising paradise would be a sight to see :eek: :eek:

The_Beastmaster 04-05-2003 04:59 AM

Let me talk to the dealer today about the IJ premiere. I'll post what info I can get from them. They are rather frazzled as they just finished some QMS certification and I think they are still going through a BMW NA audit.

As for events, BMWCCH doesn't have anything planned for the months of May and June. So there is a possibility that we may have an island drive. Of course MINI owners will be invited to join us if they so desire. Typically, it starts off at the King Street Wisteria Zippy's, through Waikiki/Diamond Head, onto Sandy Beach for a break, through Norfolk and Maunawili, onto Laie to see the big rock and we usually end up in Haleiwa. It may change a little as our member doesn't have the beach house anymore.

Don't forget to join BMW CCA as your membership will get you a parts discount at MINI of Hawaii.

The_Beastmaster 04-05-2003 05:05 AM

Speaking from experience, I would not hold a drive following Spring Fling as the SF participants will be exhausted and will not be at their mental and physical optimum for such an event. Furthermore, their adrenaline will be pumping through their veins and they may be prone to speeding.

All of you would be welcome to join us in some Saturday afternoon quarterbacking at the Hawaii International Racing School following Spring Fling.

StLouieLo 04-05-2003 05:15 AM

Would you welcome some "tourists" in a rental car? We'll be in Oahu at the Hilton on April 26th. Would love to see a bunch of MINI's & meet some of you. Too bad "Louie" doesn't have that underwater mod :lol: :lol:
Happy Motoring
Lois

MiniMe762 04-05-2003 08:05 AM

Lois, we would love to have you join us! What better way to see a little paradise than in a parade of MINIs? :grin:

Beastmaster, you bring up another excellent point, and you certainly have more experience than me. And the offer to join you all after SF is very much appreciated!

Well, that gives us a couple of possibilities, although I think we're locked into the date after all this talk. What do you all prefer? A meet at Ala Moana, or join the Spring Flingers after the school at HRP? WHo is planning on attending Spring Fling? And also keep in mind that this is the first of hopefully many gatherings. I think the IJ premiere will be a blast! But let's hear your voices!

BTW, I would encourage all MINI motorers to join BMWCCA. You get a 20% discount on BMW and MINI parts from the dealer and a subscription to Roundel. The discount alone has paid for my membership twofold already!

Jason

SouthSeaSadie 04-05-2003 12:39 PM

Bryan, sorry, I didn't mean to blow your cover.:cool: You'll be incognito.

Sylvia

The_Beastmaster 04-05-2003 01:31 PM

Tourii are welcome if they carry a picture of their MINI in their wallets! :grin:

As for a Zippys in Kapolei, yes, there is one.

If all of you would like to do a rally, I have instructions from last weeks rally and can forward it to one of you. Then you guys can have your own MINI rally.

Miniphyter808 04-05-2003 01:36 PM

Meeting place. Ala Moana sounds good. For the Euro/VW cruises we used to meet at Stadium Kmart or L&L Nimitz. Then we'd drive to Windward mall park in the back lot big empty lot to talk and eat, then drive to Sandy beach then drive to kakaako park for the final destination.

As far as Kapolei the library isn't open yet and doesn't have a big parking lot there's a small park in the front but saturdays it's filled because of soccer games. there is a road that's empty on saturdays we could park on the side. nice pic taking opportunity. there is a zippys we could meet there too.

Oh and I think somebody metioned the new park in pearl city, but it's kinda small and might be filled on saturday with games. but the new park by waikele is good too.

As a thought if we're going to HRP then we should meet up in between depending where everybody lives. if most of us lives on the leeward side do you want to drive to Ala Moana then back through leeward to get to HRP. Sorry for folks that live else where. that's my 50 cent minus 48. :roll:

Latka 04-06-2003 12:20 PM

Whew - just checked the times again and was relieved to see that the meet will happen after the BMWCCH event. Provided my '71 Mini doesn't suffer a mechanical breakdown after the track day I'll bring that - if nothing else we can bring the '02 MCS.

Count me in for 2!

-Andy