Hawaii MINI Motoring Club The forum of the Hawaii MINI Motoring Club. Visit the club site at www.HawaiiMINIClub.org

[Hawaii] 4th Annual Pearl Harbor Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 03:30 AM
DaKineMINI
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[Hawaii] 4th Annual Pearl Harbor Auto Show

I should've had pyratio post this up but since he's on the road (somewhere in the New England states) I'll do it myself (sorry Keith).

We have been invited to the 4th Annual Pearl Harbor Auto Show that is being held on June 11, 2006 (Sunday) at the Pearl Harbor NEX parking lot. The club received the following on March 23, 2006 :

Aloha !

[SIZE=2]June is rapidly approaching and that means it's time once again for the Pearl Harbor Auto Show at the Navy Exchange & You and your club are invited. This year's event is planned to be bigger and better than the past year's events with the addition of new and more activities. This year's show will be held on 11 June 2006 at the Mall at Pearl Harbor, we're moving the show to a larger section of the parking lot with access from two sides but more importantly we are kicking off the show with a Poker Run with 4 card stops starting at Checker Auto Parts on Salt Lake Blvd. with three other stops in Mililani , Kaneohe and Kailua with final card at the show with a fantastic prize for the best hand ( more details to follow as plans get finalized). We are also planning more activities for the Kids and the whole family with more entertainment and better prize drawings throughout the day .
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]This year we have added more categories for the cars including Vintage, Classic, American Sports Car , American Mussel, Retro , Low Rider, Custom Truck , Asian Import & Euro Import. New This Year we will have BEST CLUB PARTICIPATION awards not to mention the coveted BEST IN SHOW award.
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]We will Have flyers out soon and will try and get them out to everyone A.S.A.P we will visit some of the cruise nights they will be available at all Checker Auto Parts Locations Island wide The Navy Exchange customer service desk in the Rotunda. and other locations to be announced.We plan to do pre-registration for those of you who like to get a jump on things but will hold open registration at the show.
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]For those of you who respond to this Invitation and I will provide weekly updates as our plans progress , Hope to see you at the show[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]A HUI HOU
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Dennis Parsons
Autoport Manager
Navy Exchange Service Command
[/SIZE]
On March 29th the club made a response that we were interested and would like to display as a club; unfortunately, not much has moved forward from our side. I took over the contact duties last week and have been talking to Dennis about what type of display we may be able to put together.

I don't think none of our MINIs are "car show" ready nor do we carry much of the bling that many of the cars in these show have; however, what we do have are unique cars and even some competitive track cars. I told Dennis that I'd like to show both the unique side AND the competitive side. On the competitive side - I told him we had a top competitor in SCCA Solo2 SM class (Minihune), and the 2004 and 2005 Ltd. FWD Super Lap champ (bgrpph). I also suggested, if these cars are available I'd like to show them in their track set-up (track tire, numbers, harness, helmets, etc.) with a display of their track awards (magnets and such for minihune & medals and such for bgrpph) next to/on the cars. I also mentioned that we have Cosworth MINI (eastsidemini) that would look great with these cars. Dennis was really excited about this possibility - I will again be talking to him on Tuesday (hopefully with a better feel on who will be attending from HMMC). I really wanted to get a Classic Mini or two there with us but it seems Latka has to work that day, however, he has taken over the contact duties for the British Car club show, which he will also attend and show.

Minihune, I think you and JCW04 attended last year's show - do you think you can make it to this year's show too? I'd really like you to represent the MINI as an auto-x track car. I have talked to bgrpph and he has agreed to have his car in the show. Eastsidemini, send your membership package in so I can have your badazz Cosworth MINI in the show!

Where are the unique MINIs? Kbseto? Tweety? JCW04? Feedback - oh wait, did you already send it off-isle? Chime-in, PM, or e-mail me if you are interested in having your car in this great show.

I realize that this is one week after the British Car club auto show (which I'd like HMMC to have representation in too) but I am hoping that you can help me out with this last minute call out and help make our display worthy of HMMC and the MINI community. Hey, maybe we can walk away with the Best Car Club participation award too (well you gotta shoot for something I guess).

Thanks ahead of time fellow HMMCers.

Dirk M.
2006 Vice President, HMMC
(acting 2006 HMMC President until further notice)

Old 05-29-2006, 05:27 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
A diverse Car show

Last year there were a few of us at the show along with a great mix of alot of domestic, classic, import, and full drag race cars. Plus there were many giveaways all day long.

Bring some snacks and drinks in coolers, there are also food places within the shopping center nearby. Maybe we can get MINI of HI or JCW04 to bring along a few tents for shade and set them up early. We can stake out an area if we know how many MINIs to expect. You don't have to stay all day, judging did take nearly all day last time.

June is a big conflict month for me, that day my daughter will be back from the mainland and probably I will have a family event to attend. Is anyone interested in driving my MINI out to the car show? I can get everything ready - just let me know.

Post in this tread sif you'd like to attend.

Old 05-29-2006, 11:59 PM
kbseto
5th Gear
i feel silly putting my mini in the show...i'd hafta make sure i wash it first of all...then i gotta make the time commitment on a hot summer sunday out that side of the island.

i think tweety and eastsidemini would be make good additions.

but with all the activities like the poker run, plus the need to support our club, i think i'll join in.

Old 05-30-2006, 12:21 AM
DaKineMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kbseto

but with all the activities like the poker run, plus the need to support our club, i think i'll join in.
Thanks Kyle. I'll keep you posted on further information.

Originally Posted by minihune
Is anyone interested in driving my MINI out to the car show? I can get everything ready - just let me know.
Wow, Brad, thanks for offering your car. You're pretty close with Randy right? He returns tomorrow so I'll see if he'd be willing to bring your car to the show.

Originally Posted by bgrpph via PM
Dirk, i'll go if we get few others to commit to going--Looks like minhune can't go- . Who else is going?
Barry, looks like Kyle is "in" and Brad's car may make it, so I hope you can commit too.

Old 05-30-2006, 01:54 PM
JCW04
4th Gear
I would LOVE to go but i'm on Maui until 6:00PM that day.

Old 05-31-2006, 12:21 AM
bgrpph
3rd Gear
you can tell i'm thrilled about committing to participate

Old 05-31-2006, 12:45 AM
DaKineMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bgrpph
you can tell i'm thrilled about committing to participate
Ah 'cmon Barry quit giving me a hard time. You KNOW that I am going to tell them you are the contact right? I'll call you tomorrow after I meet with the guy. I really appreciate it your participation though - thanks Barry.

Originally Posted by eastsidemini via PM
You know I will help you out if this is soooo important to represent right. It is not my cup of tea but if you really need me to be there, I'll be there.
BTW, Barry, you aren't the only one that is not too thrilled about participating. Andrew sent me the above. I do appreciate you guys supporting me and the club, BUT, I don't want to force you folks so let me know if you can't make it. If participation is low, I'll tell the person in charge that HMMC can't support their show as a club; however, individual members will, of course, be free to participate.

Old 05-31-2006, 01:30 AM
Eastsidemini
4th Gear
car show

D
Ok then, my parents are visiting from H.K and will fly back on that same day as the show How am I gonna pull that off Count me out then so sorry.

Old 05-31-2006, 09:04 AM
DaKineMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Eastsidemini
D
Ok then, my parents are visiting from H.K and will fly back on that same day as the show How am I gonna pull that off Count me out then so sorry.
I can totally understand. Family first man!

Unfortunately though, it seems only kb is willing to show; therefore, I think I will let the show-folks know that we, as a club, will not be displaying. I was suppose to meet them today since I have to leave on Sunday. I wish I could wait another week to make this decision, however, I don't have the luxury of time this time.

Old 05-31-2006, 12:11 PM
DaKineMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DaKineMINI
I can totally understand. Family first man!

Unfortunately though, it seems only kb is willing to show; therefore, I think I will let the show-folks know that we, as a club, will not be displaying. I was suppose to meet them today since I have to leave on Sunday. I wish I could wait another week to make this decision, however, I don't have the luxury of time this time.
Talked to the guy today and official cancelled HMMC's participation in the car show - we just don't have the numbers to display as a club. I know the call-out was way too last minute but I wish we could've had a presence. All I needed was 5 or 6 cars. Oh well, maybe next year.

Old 05-31-2006, 01:01 PM
Latka
5th Gear
Wow. That's pretty sad guys. Two car shows and nobody can be bothered to show up? What's the fun in having a MINI if you don't get to show it off occasionally?

I'm still planning on going to the British Car Day event and trying to get a few classic Minis together for it.

Old 05-31-2006, 01:14 PM
JCW04
4th Gear
Latka-

When is the British Car Day Event? I thought I missed it. I had a great time last year!

Aloha!

JCW04

Old 05-31-2006, 01:17 PM
Latka
5th Gear
Jeez, there's even a thread about it.

It's this Sunday the 4th of June at the corner of Monsarrat and Pake down in Waikiki / Kapiolani park. Starts at 9am.