Hawaii MINI Motoring Club The forum of the Hawaii MINI Motoring Club. Visit the club site at www.HawaiiMINIClub.org

[Hawaii] HMMC DIY

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 03:41 PM
Eastsidemini
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brake pads

Feedback
Do you have the greenstuff pads already? Or you want to get some?

Old 03-09-2006, 06:14 AM
FeedBack
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Eastsidemini
Feedback
Do you have the greenstuff pads already? Or you want to get some?
Do you have access to them? I was going to order them.....

Old 03-09-2006, 10:35 AM
Eastsidemini
4th Gear
brake pads

Originally Posted by FeedBack
Do you have access to them? I was going to order them.....
Feedback
I can order it for you. Greenstuff fr/re are $160+tax+shipping. Shipping around $28-38. I ordered the fr for cwlouis and the shipping was $22.

Keep in mind all the vendors on Nam have different pricing, and the shipping are all different too. So some vendors may advertise cheaper but depends where the location is, shipping varies.

Old 03-09-2006, 11:41 PM
FeedBack
5th Gear
Feedback
I can order it for you. Greenstuff fr/re are $160+tax+shipping. Shipping around $28-38. I ordered the fr for cwlouis and the shipping was $22.

Keep in mind all the vendors on Nam have different pricing, and the shipping are all different too. So some vendors may advertise cheaper but depends where the location is, shipping varies.
Absolutely! Please order them for me.... PM me with the business arrangements. I can pay you now or whenever.

Old 03-10-2006, 01:48 AM
Eastsidemini
4th Gear
Thank you

Feedback
Everything is taken care of, I will order it tomorrow The business part can be later 05MCS right.

Old 03-10-2006, 09:49 AM
FeedBack
5th Gear
Feedback
Everything is taken care of, I will order it tomorrow The business part can be later 05MCS right.
Thanks for your help! 2005 MCSCa - wmlc*

*with matching leg cast

Old 03-10-2006, 11:22 PM
DaKineMINI
6th Gear
Today Andrew (eastsidemini) went over the m7 thermostat install procedures with me. It looks like a fairly easy swap, however, it's time consuming in that the air intake's box and plumbing will need to be removed to expose the thermostat mount location. I am now thinking that this may be a true DIY item (we'll do one car and show folks but may not be able to do everyone's car). Since Barry (bgrpph) was kind enough to host this DIY, I am thinking that we should do the thermostat DIY on his car. Andrew will do the demo on this. If you want us to help work on your car (for the thermostat swap), you will need to remove all neccessary parts/bits to have the thermostat area exposed so Andrew can walk you through the steps.

I will demo the brake pad swap DIY. I will do Peter's (Feedback) car because he has a broken ankle with a cast on. We may be able to tackle more than one car but we have to work efficiently.

There was some initial interest in doing a DIY on an iPOD Adaptor, however, we weren't sure who had one to install. Louis (cwlouis) will be in charge of this DIY. BTW, Kyle asked if the iPOD MINI would work - Louis' thinks it should work, though once again we suggest trying it on one of our cars with the iPOD Adaptor already installed.

Our allowed time is 9:00 am to 2:00 pm so if anyone has any requests, suggestions, needs, etc., it's up to you to voice them way ahead of the planned DIY so we can plan for it. Please post on this thread or discuss it with Barry or myself. Let's make this a productive, educational, and most of all fun DIY!

Old 03-10-2006, 11:58 PM
ghui
2nd Gear
How about the VGS mod?

Old 03-11-2006, 12:12 AM
DaKineMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ghui
How about the VGS mod?
George have you done this one already? If so, let us know how the process was and what the benefits were. Looks like it only requires a few feet of hose and three "T" fitments. Looks like another easy but time consuming mod - I saw a post stating it took about 45 minutes.

I have not done this mod yet, though maybe Barry has.

Old 03-11-2006, 12:18 AM
ghui
2nd Gear
Sorry but Nope. I actually called a couple of local shops to have it done but unfortunately they do not have the experience.

Old 03-11-2006, 12:22 AM
DaKineMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ghui
Sorry but Nope. I actually called a couple of local shops to have it done but unfortunately they do not have the experience.
Do you want to put your car up as a test vehicle? This might be a good DIY on its own but may take up too much time for the upcoming scheduled DIY. Looking at the instructions someone posted, it looks fairly easy. Maybe we should have a few folks meet just to do this? I'd be up for it.

Old 03-11-2006, 12:27 AM
Eastsidemini
4th Gear
VGS mod

Originally Posted by DaKineMINI
George have you done this one already? If so, let us know how the process was and what the benefits were. Looks like it only requires a few feet of hose and three "T" fitments. Looks like another easy but time consuming mod - I saw a post stating it took about 45 minutes.

I have not done this mod yet, though maybe Barry has.
I did mine 8 months ago and didn't make too much of a different Well I did almost everything at the same time

Old 03-11-2006, 12:46 AM
ghui
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by DaKineMINI
Do you want to put your car up as a test vehicle? This might be a good DIY on its own but may take up too much time for the upcoming scheduled DIY. Looking at the instructions someone posted, it looks fairly easy. Maybe we should have a few folks meet just to do this? I'd be up for it.
I agree that it should be a separate session. I don't have experience taking off the IC and the bull horn.

So Andrew, u did the VGS, but you also have the M7 AGS done. May be it has an effect on the VGS??

Old 03-11-2006, 09:49 AM
Eastsidemini
4th Gear
Vgs

GHUI
There's a thread on NAM from (andy ross) on how to with diagramYep, you need a T-fitting and couple feet of 1/4" vacuum hoses. As far as getting to remove all the other parts is very simple. I can coordinate to do the install someday with Dakinemini and whoever wants to do it

The mod is to supply more vacuum to the BPV to make sure it opens all the way when needed. By taping the vacuum line to a better source Seat of the pant different? Perhaps not!

Old 03-11-2006, 12:23 PM
DaKineMINI
6th Gear
I can coordinate to do the install someday with Dakinemini and whoever wants to do it
Perhaps the April or May DIY? Keiki, what do you think? I think George (ghui) wants to do this mod.

Old 03-11-2006, 01:39 PM
bgrpph
3rd Gear
i didn't install my VGS, Eric (Helix) did it last time when he installed injectors.

Did the 02 sensor trick thingy work to keep the SES light off?

Old 03-11-2006, 02:19 PM
DaKineMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bgrpph
i didn't install my VGS, Eric (Helix) did it last time when he installed injectors.

Did the 02 sensor trick thingy work to keep the SES light off?
So based on having it on your car, is VGS worth doing a DIY on?

Initial feedback looks good on the o2 sensor tricker but we'll need a longer term update from cwlouis. I read a post where a person had it on his/her Megan set-up (just like Louis) and it's been working for months. Looks like the winners (why else would they pay to sponsor on NAM with just this one product)! Louis used mine and he ordered one to replace mine. BTW, it's installed much differently than the CatDog one I had (and didn't work) from long ago. If this works good, I think I may change my header direction and sell my OBX/MagnaflowCAT combo and try something else.

Old 03-11-2006, 03:37 PM
cwlouis
3rd Gear
thanks dakine and andrew in helping me with the O2 sensor. as test day two... sitting in traffic, everything seems to work perfectly (no bolts missing too..). i even took it on and off the freeway to and all seems to be normal. as long as i don't encounter any "ponds" on the road from rains i should be ok.

as for the DIY day, i'll be glad to work on anyone's ipod adaptor. please keep in mind that the current version sold is the Ver.2. i installed the Ver.1 and by what dakine saide about his, seems like all cables are presliced and ready to go, unlike mine. also remember to buy the Ver.2 if possible. i noticed mine does some strange things with my 30G ipod video and works seamless with my G3 15G ipod. before i forget, please update your ipod with the newest updates before bringing it down...

Old 03-12-2006, 02:47 PM
drea-min
3rd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Sorry, i missed the thermostat DYI list. I've been busy lately with 2 jobs. Drew are you still taking head-counts on the thermostat? Sorry I wasn't able to call you regarding the 19% belt. I bought one from Eric along with the upgrade but when I tried to install it looks like its too long, (same part # as the 17%) so I thought Eric sent me the wrong belt, but luckily I have the Repair Manual and the schematic how the belt goes around the A/C, alternator, main pulley and the SC I was able to put back everything. Another thing that helps the easy installation is Eric sold me the whole set of the pulley/hub because the older 17% i had a hard time tightening and get the gap closer so I decided to put the new one at ease. The only thing that went wrong is I jacked the engine too high that the Dynamic Stability Sensor moved a little which causes the lites to come on and took couple of days to drive around before it even clears up, though I made an appointment to BMW and as soon as I made to their lot the ST---D lites clear. BTW: BMW charge me $100.00 for the ipod check, they said the wiring hook-up was wrong which we triple check during installation....based on the instruction. I should get refunds from the parts dept.

Old 03-12-2006, 06:12 PM
Eastsidemini
4th Gear
thermostat

Dream
I will put you down for one thermostat. So I guess you're going to the DIY.

Old 03-13-2006, 10:44 PM
DaKineMINI
6th Gear
DIY request

I have a DIY request for the upcoming DIY. I'd like to remove my wheel stud bolts (the ones I have left on). Bgrpph or eastsidemini - can you have the wheel nut you used to install/remove your wheel stud bolts so I can use them to remove my remaining stud bolts? Hope you can help me - thanks. I have to remember to take my OEM wheel bolts to replace the wheel bolt stud I hopefully can remove.

Old 03-13-2006, 11:02 PM
Eastsidemini
4th Gear
stud removal

How much of the broken bolt is sticking out? Can double nuts fit onto it? I removed one of mine with that method with an impact gun even with the red threadlock.

May be a group buy on some longer chromoly steel studs, longer tuner anoidizes nuts? I am looking at a set right now

Old 03-13-2006, 11:05 PM
Eastsidemini
4th Gear
stud removal

I'll bring my heatgun and the double nut with me on DIY session Anything for you my friend

Old 03-13-2006, 11:06 PM
DaKineMINI
6th Gear
How much of the broken bolt is sticking out? Can double nuts fit onto it? I removed one of mine with that method with an impact gun even with the red threadlock.

May be a group buy on some longer chromoly steel studs, longer tuner anoidizes nuts? I am looking at a set right now
Uh, you didn't read my post correctly did you? Remember I was telling you about my remaining junk-kine stud bolts? Well, I want to remove them all; therefore, ALL of the bolt is sticking out (no broken bolts on mine) and I want to do the double-nut method but I don't have the nut to fit the bolt. If you or Barry can let me use the nut you used to install/remove your wheel stud bolt, then I'd appreciate it.

Old 03-13-2006, 11:12 PM
Eastsidemini
4th Gear
stud removal

So sorry I totally miss read it Now I get it remove all the studs. No problem. Should I bring my impact gun too? That would make it a no brainer

heatgun, double-nut, impact gun and what else.

Quick Reply: [Hawaii] HMMC DIY