North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Hawaii MINI Motoring Club (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/hawaii-mini-motoring-club-78/)
-   -   MINI Club on the Big Island? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/hawaii-mini-motoring-club/209017-mini-club-on-the-big-island.html)

808mini04 04-24-2011 01:39 AM

MINI Club on the Big Island?

New owner of an 04 MCS and live on the Big Island. Anyone know of any clubs here? I live in Hilo. Mahalo, Doug

minihune 06-11-2011 01:20 PM

No official club on the Big Island but pretty common to find MINIs there.

You are welcome to post in the Hawaii Forum for any informal meets you want to plan/offer.

Hoof hearted 08-01-2011 05:33 PM

Big Island MINI club

I am on the BI and have been unsuccessful finding anything about any existing MINI clubs here. I am interested in starting something up over here and I am looking for other MINI owners that would like to help put it together.

I am not sure if it is OK to post in this particular forum regarding a club that is not on Oahu please let me know if I have broken any rules.

I am in Kona but would like to build a club that has members from all over the island to get together for fun runs, autocrossing, parties, bbq's, rallys, bench racing, racing racing, whatever.

Anyone interested please PM me and let's get together.

Thanks,
Roy

minihune 08-01-2011 06:08 PM

Sure. You can use this thread to let others know what you would like to see for the Big Island. There are a fair number of MINIs driving around now and there is a BMW MINI dealership in Kona.

Talk to Aka at MINI in Kona about forming up something informally and get some dealer support for get togethers or events.

Contact Doug Flood who does Sportscar club of America Autocrossing over in hilo monthly. Has owns two Cooper S's one on BI and other on Oahu.

See
http://www.bigislandscca.org/

Hoof hearted 08-02-2011 11:06 AM

Minihune, thanks for the reply. I see Aka and the rest of the guys at the dealer almost weekly. Felipe has a list of names of people that indicated they would be interested in being part of a club over here and said he would pass my name and email address along to them. I am hoping to get a few leads from that. I am also going to head over to Hilo for the next SCCA autocross event later this month. Looking at your sig I can see that you are very involved with the SCCA so maybe you can answer a question. In the SCCA rule book it states that a stock MINI S would be classed in DS and then later it shows ST. Can you elaborate? Also, does it even matter for a novice? Thanks for your assistance.

Roy

minihune 08-02-2011 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Hoof hearted (Post 3334486)
Minihune, thanks for the reply. I see Aka and the rest of the guys at the dealer almost weekly. Felipe has a list of names of people that indicated they would be interested in being part of a club over here and said he would pass my name and email address along to them. I am hoping to get a few leads from that. I am also going to head over to Hilo for the next SCCA autocross event later this month. Looking at your sig I can see that you are very involved with the SCCA so maybe you can answer a question. In the SCCA rule book it states that a stock MINI S would be classed in DS and then later it shows ST. Can you elaborate? Also, does it even matter for a novice? Thanks for your assistance.

Roy

Roy,

Good to hear from you. I am in Kona today and thinking about you this morning. Not sure how much free time I might have today at lunch but was considering driving over to talk to Aka at MINI in Kona.

You can set up anything you want, go for drives or meet up when you can. Something informal would be fine or even set up a chapter of the Hawaii MINI Motoring club from Oahu if you want if you have enough interest. The club gets a discount from the parts dept from MINI.

For SCCA you have choices for various classes depending on how modified your MINI is.

For example-
Stock Base Cooper is H stock class and can run either street tires or R compound tires but only on stock sized wheels plus or minus 1/4 inch on offset of the wheels, any drop in air filter and any cat back exhaust. Read the SCCA rule book for restrictions. If you want to upgrade the suspension and use wider wheels but keep street tires rated 180 treadwear or more then Street Touring class is legal.

Stock Cooper S any year is D stock class. Similar restrictions. If street tires only then Street Touring X class- no R compound tires allowed in any Street Touring class.

Note even adding any aftermarket air intake more than a drop in filter will bounce you out of stock class and put you in Street Touring or F Street Prepared (base cooper) or D Street Prepared (cooper S) classes.

The stock classes have a better handicap which is called PAX while the street touring classes are a little worse and then Street Prepared much worse. If you upgrade your turbo or supercharger and increase boost at all then you go to Street Modified class which is very competitive and very bad on handicap.

Doesn't really matter unless you care how you finish.

Hoof hearted 08-02-2011 02:15 PM

Too bad I'll probably miss you in Kona. I'm at work up near Kawaihae until 3:30 today. Thanks for the info regarding SCCA rules I am looking forward to getting over to Hilo on the 28th. For the first few times out I don't think I'll be worried about where I finish since I'll be more concerned with not getting lost in a sea of orange cones. As for the club, if it were up to me, I would keep it informal until a core group of members was developed and then possibly make it more formal or even come under the wing of the HMMC as a separate chapter. All things to be determined as they develop. Have fun on the BI today and say Hi to Aka...Thanks, Roy

Hoof hearted 02-19-2012 06:56 PM

ATTN. Big Island MINI owners

I was asked to try and pull together as many Mini's as possible to show up at the Lanihou shopping center in Kona on Saturday night 3/17. If anyone is interested, please RSVP here so I can tell Paul how many of us will be showing up. This is a monthly show that is put on and each month they allow a lkocal club to promote themselves. I was there with the SCCA last month and the cart club was there last night. It would be cool to overrun the place with Minis next month.

Thanks,
Roy

minihune 02-20-2012 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Hoof hearted (Post 3456026)
I was asked to try and pull together as many Mini's as possible to show up at the Lanihou shopping center in Kona on Saturday night 3/17. If anyone is interested, please RSVP here so I can tell Paul how many of us will be showing up. This is a monthly show that is put on and each month they allow a lkocal club to promote themselves. I was there with the SCCA last month and the cart club was there last night. It would be cool to overrun the place with Minis next month.

Thanks,
Roy

Besides here you can try to post elsewhere to let the word out-

http://www.forumshawaii.com/index.ph...tomotive-chat/
http://www.forumshawaii.com/index.ph...-island-clubs/

Good luck.

Let the MINI dealer know as well or leave a flyer

minihune 04-05-2012 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Hoof hearted (Post 3456026)

Thanks,
Roy

How did your 3/17 event go? Did you get many MINIs?

808mini04 03-30-2014 07:59 PM

Update on interest in BI club.

I know it's been a really long time since I first posted here. I guess life got in the way.:wink: I am still very interested in either joining or forming a MINI Club here on the BI. I live in Volcano. I see more and more MINI's running around all over the BI. I'm sure at least some of you have seen my baby, Domino, cruising the streets a time or two. I own the only MINI on the island sporting red wheels and I recently blacked out the headlights and the grill. PW/B R53. Photos coming soon. Waiting on some nice weather and bust out the pro camera gear. Any interest or suggestions, lmk.
Peace & Aloha,
Doug

elsenordave 04-20-2014 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by 808mini04 (Post 3905148)
I know it's been a really long time since I first posted here. I guess life got in the way.:wink: I am still very interested in either joining or forming a MINI Club here on the BI. I live in Volcano. I see more and more MINI's running around all over the BI. I'm sure at least some of you have seen my baby, Domino, cruising the streets a time or two. I own the only MINI on the island sporting red wheels and I recently blacked out the headlights and the grill. PW/B R53. Photos coming soon. Waiting on some nice weather and bust out the pro camera gear. Any interest or suggestions, lmk.
Peace & Aloha,
Doug

Aloha Doug! Pepé is my PW 07MCS I'll watch for you when I'm out cruising. pm'd you as well :thumbsup:

I'm down for a photoshoot