Old 01-09-2004, 02:22 PM
FWD-MX5
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SCCA Stock Class FAQs

What class is my Cooper/MCS in?
The Cooper is in H Stock.
The MCS is in G Stock.

What modifications are allowed in SCCA Stock class?
Any front sway bar may be used.
Any exhaust from the catalytic converter back may be used.
Any spark plugs may be used.
Any spark plug wire may be used, including those with an in-line capacitor.
Any wheel that is the same diameter, width and offset(within +/- .25 inch or 5mm)as a factory wheel. Wheel spacers may be used to meet the offset requirement as long as the spacer is no more than .25 inch thick.
Cooper 15x5.5 offset 45
Cooper 16x6.5 offset 50
MCS 16x6.5 offset 50
MCS 17x7 offset 50
Any D.O.T. approved tire that fits on the rims stated above may be used. This includes Hoosiers, Kumho V700s, Yoko A032Rs, and Michelin Pilot Sports. The widest tire that will work on a MINI is 215. So people are stuffing 225s on but they are having rubbing issues and have to use spacers thicker than stock allowed .25 inch to clear the rear control arms.
Any air filter may be used, as long as it is the same size and shape of the original. The air filter must fit in the original air box.
Any shock absorber with no more than two adjustments may be used. The shock must mount in the original location. On shock absorbers with adjustable spring perches, the perches must be welded in place.

Can I upgrade my Cooper to SS+ springs/stiffer OEM springs if my car did not originally come with them?
Yes. For the SS+, you will have to upgrade the entire SS+ package. By looking carefully at the rules, you can see that the shock absorbers and front sway bar do not need to be changed, to upgrade to SS+. So all you have to change are the rear sway and the springs. The springs are stiffer on a SS+ car, but the springs on MINIs are specific to the options on the car. Be sure if you want to upgrade your sport suspension to SS+, you order the springs through a dealer. The dealer will give you the springs for your car based on the VIN of your vehicle. The Cooper SS+ rear bar is the same part number as the MCS rear bar.

If it does not say I can, can I?
No. The rules are very specific about modifications.

I have heard about comfort and convenience, what falls into this category?
C&C is to allow you to make modifications to your car that offer no advantage while auto crossing. Some examples of allowable C&C upgrades are-
Aftermarket stereo equipment (this does not allow the removal of the stock radio or speakers)
Driving lights, clear taillights, clear side markers, and alternate gas cap lids.

Can I put MCS factory items on a Cooper and vice versa?
No, unless they fall into the C&C. This means no S-Lites on the Cooper and no 15" rims on a MCS.

Can I retrofit options to my car if it didn't come from the factory?
Yes. The rules state that you must change all the parts that are included with the option, such as the sport suspension to SS+ above. This is where the MINI has an advantage over other cars in stock class. Some less fortunate cars require major add-ons to get minor changes. With the MINI, almost any combo of options can be ordered separately.

Old 06-29-2004, 09:22 AM
minicajun
Neutral
You mentioned some allowed C&C modifications in your FAQs - however, it didn't mention seats. I want to get some Recaros, not to give me any sort of advantage, not even sure how these seats could give an advantage, but I don't want to be bumped into another class. I don't plan on making any other mods to the car. Can you tell me if fitting a Recaro seat would be allowed in HS?

thanks

Old 06-29-2004, 09:33 AM
Mini-///M
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by FWD-MX5
Aftermarket stereo equipment (this does not allow the removal of the stock radio or speakers)
When it says removal of stock radio does this mean that you cannot remove the components completely or does it mean that you cannot replace the stock parts. For example, what if I swapped the stock head unit for a touchscreen nav system? Or what if I swapped the door speakers for aftermarket speakers of the same size?

Thanks,
Patrick

Old 06-29-2004, 09:47 AM
FWD-MX5
4th Gear
You can swap radios, add nav, dvd players whatever for ICE. You can not remove the headunit and not replace it, same with the speakers.

Old 06-29-2004, 09:54 AM
FWD-MX5
4th Gear
Originally Posted by minicajun
You mentioned some allowed C&C modifications in your FAQs - however, it didn't mention seats. I want to get some Recaros, not to give me any sort of advantage, not even sure how these seats could give an advantage, but I don't want to be bumped into another class. I don't plan on making any other mods to the car. Can you tell me if fitting a Recaro seat would be allowed in HS?

thanks
Seats are not allowed to be changed in Stock. The advantage is the weight savings and keeping you in place. In addition, there is up for member comment, a ban on replacing stock seats with airbags in STX,STS.

Old 07-10-2004, 10:48 AM
MoFast
1st Gear
Aero Kit

The Aero kit is merely a costmetic add on. Do the rules absolutely forbid it?

Old 07-10-2004, 12:05 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by MoFast
The Aero kit is merely a costmetic add on. Do the rules absolutely forbid it?
Any aero kit is not allowed since it is not a factory installed option, it is a dealer installed option sold through MINI if it is the MINI aerokit. Functional or not it is looked on as the same sort of mod as the Ociari aerokit and others.

If you have any moulding, side skirts or bumpers installed that are not stock factory parts for your MC or MCS then someone can protest if they feel you may be getting a weight advantage.

In stock class
Rule 13.1 Authorized Modifications
<If a modification is not specifically authorized in this or previous sections of the rules it is not allowed. It is not permitted to use illegal parts even if they have been set to stock specifications.>

Under Rule 13.2 Bodywork, since there is no mention of aero kits then it is not allowed in Stock class.

<

Old 10-11-2004, 11:53 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minihune
Under Rule 13.2 Bodywork, since there is no mention of aero kits then it is not allowed in Stock class.

<
What about painting the stock black plastic? Obviously it would need to be treated and such for a smooth texture. Would this be legal? Anyone know? I was thinking of doing this to my 2005 but would hate to get protested at nationals, the prosolo's or Tours.

Old 10-12-2004, 10:14 AM
Motoring
5th Gear
No problem, it's just a paint job. Any material removed to smooth the texture is more than made up for with the weight of the paint. Anyone filing a protest would be laughed out of the protest shed. Kind of like someone protesting me for my paintjob.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:22 AM
IanF
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmm... I wonder if the aerokit rule is different since it became a factory option?

Old 10-12-2009, 09:43 AM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
.... And the factory JCW is in B-Stock.

The aero kit is a factory option, but it isn't installed AT the factory. So it disqualifies a Mini for the stock classes.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:35 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Actually anything PORT installed is now considered part of the factory per the SCCA 2009 rules. So, since the JCW Aero kit is now port installed for the 2009 model Mini Cooper S then it IS NOW LEGAL for 2009 Mini Cooper S models for GS/DS competition.

So, basically anything port installed is now an option, someone should check to see exactly what the current options installed are but here is my list that I know of the the 2009 Mini Cooper S(not the JCW)

JCW Aero kit(looks cool, no benefit)
JCW rear spoiler(no real benefit)
JCW drilled rotors(probably no performance benefit)
JCW Tuning kit(ECU tune and exhaust I think)

I cannot remember what else was on the list. The only reason I know the above items were on the list was because I was thinking of building an 09 MCS for GS competition early this year but decided against it since I bought an Evo and built it for BSP. On the port installed mods listed above, the only real performance benefit would come from the JCW tuning kit option which gives an upgraded ECU and a different exhaust I think. Exhaust is open for stock class, so, the only real upgrade over all the other MCS's(07+) would be the ECU tune.

Last edited by OasisT; 10-12-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:49 AM
leicaguy
4th Gear
How about a cold air intake, keeping the stock air filter housing?

Old 11-30-2009, 07:47 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by leicaguy
How about a cold air intake, keeping the stock air filter housing?
No aftermarket cold air intake even in the stock air box housing-
Only air filter element of same size and shape- drop in type.

"Any air filter may be used, as long as it is the same size and shape of the original. The air filter must fit in the original air box."

Old 07-08-2012, 08:37 AM
BlackIce
4th Gear
Originally Posted by FWD-MX5
Seats are not allowed to be changed in Stock. The advantage is the weight savings and keeping you in place. In addition, there is up for member comment, a ban on replacing stock seats with airbags in STX,STS.
If I recall correctly, you can now order Recaro seats when you order your car. Are these factory ordered Recaro seats okay to run in HS?

Old 07-08-2012, 09:22 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BlackIce
If I recall correctly, you can now order Recaro seats when you order your car. Are these factory ordered Recaro seats okay to run in HS?
Only for the 2012 model year since that is the only year that they were available.... I wonder what the weight is compared to the sport seats?

Old 07-09-2012, 05:32 PM
BlackIce
4th Gear
Interesting... So it sounds like whatever you can order from the factory is fair game? Even JCW add-ons or are they off limits?

Don't know if there is a weight advantage, but the I'd think the lateral support would be helpful in holding you in place. I took a yellow/pink left turn light the other day at speed and almost ended up in the passenger seat (stock non-sport seats) while the car tracked dead on where I pointed it without missing a beat!

Old 12-17-2016, 10:18 AM
AFN704
3rd Gear
What Class Would I Be In?

Hello,

I have a 2012 MCS that is running a Manic Stage 2 Tune. So I have all the supporting mods:

Intake,
Catless Turbo Back Exhaust
Intercooler
Obviously a tune
Power Flex lower Motor Mount
Alta Boost Spring Upgrade (Pointless)
17x7 Sparco Assetto Gara Wheels
215/45/R17 Michelin Pilot Sport AS3/+ Tires
An Aftermarket Front Splitter
And I took the back seats out

I know I probably put my car in a class that is going to be really competitive but I'd like to do it mainly for fun and just to see how I do. I will probably keep putting parts on my car but once i understand the classes I will tailor my mods to that. Thanks for the help. If there is a page that easily outlines the classes a link would be great. I did try to google and read some pages but I'm a noob at this and don't know if the classes are different for different types of events or really how any of this works. I want to do some track days and get my bearings then I'd really like to do some hill climb events and some time attack stuff with the occasional auto cross.

Old 12-17-2016, 10:30 AM
Zillon
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by AFN704
Hello,

I have a 2012 MCS that is running a Manic Stage 2 Tune. So I have all the supporting mods:

Intake,
Catless Turbo Back Exhaust
Intercooler
Obviously a tune
Power Flex lower Motor Mount
Alta Boost Spring Upgrade (Pointless)
17x7 Sparco Assetto Gara Wheels
215/45/R17 Michelin Pilot Sport AS3/+ Tires
An Aftermarket Front Splitter
And I took the back seats out

I know I probably put my car in a class that is going to be really competitive but I'd like to do it mainly for fun and just to see how I do. I will probably keep putting parts on my car but once i understand the classes I will tailor my mods to that. Thanks for the help. If there is a page that easily outlines the classes a link would be great. I did try to google and read some pages but I'm a noob at this and don't know if the classes are different for different types of events or really how any of this works. I want to do some track days and get my bearings then I'd really like to do some hill climb events and some time attack stuff with the occasional auto cross.
You'd be in street prepared with the rear seat delete, exhaust, splitter, and tune.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:29 AM
CooperT
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Could someone tell me what my 2016 Carbon Edition F55 would be classified as? CS, DS or DSP?

Thanks,

Tim

Old 11-29-2017, 04:58 AM
Burglar
3rd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by CooperT
Could someone tell me what my 2016 Carbon Edition F55 would be classified as? CS, DS or DSP?

Thanks,

Tim
If I read it right, the F55 Carbon is a 4-door Cooper S with the factory JCW Pro tuning kit. Cool car!

If that is correct, you'll be in DS, assuming you don't have any aftermarket mods that are beyond Street Class allowances.

Old 12-01-2017, 07:01 PM
CooperT
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks! It's a blast to drive and fits the family.