Welcome to GUAM!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 12:00 AM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to GUAM!

In Guam? Planning a visit? Getting stationed here? Have no intention of coming to Guam, but you like coconuts?

Don't worry, this forum is for you! There are Mini's here too! We wave and we're every bit as friendly as Mini owners on the mainland!

There's no club yet, but that doesn't mean there won't be any get togethers or that there will never be a club. For now this is just a discussion forum for the afore-mentioned persons to talk about Guam, Minis on Guam, and Minis!

Short FAQ summary (will update as necessary):
  • Is there a dealership in Guam?
    • YES! The catch is that they are considered BMW-Asia, but they sell USA-spec cars.
  • Do they do warranty work?
    • YES!
  • Are the roads as bad as I've heard?
    • NO! There are some mean potholes here and there... But I personally think Washington DC was FAR worse.
    • As for the "Coral" roads, yes there are still some roads made of coral here. They are easy to discern because they are very light in color. The main roads are all traditional asphalt with plenty of traction.
  • Will my Mini rust?
    • They sell electronic rust inhibitors here... But I don't believe rust is really a problem unless you have exposed metal. I've been here a year, and no rust yet. I've also seen some classic cars (57 Chevy Bel Air, 69 Dodge Charger) in mint condition that are stored outside here.
  • How long and how much is it to ship my Mini?
    • About 5 weeks, and 1500-2000 dollars. Free if you're shipping it on your orders through the military. If you get here with no car, you can also buy a Mini from the states (or Hawaii) and have it shipped hear cheaper than BMW-Asia marks them up, if you use your orders (free) to do it.
  • Is it worth bringing my Mini?
    • If you love your Mini, then yes. If you like motoring through twisties in the boonies on the backroads, then yes. If you hate being outside and hate the sun, then no.
  • How's the weather?
    • 80-85 degrees every day, period. No seasons, other than wet and dry. And during both seasons, the temperature stays the same.
  • How's the motorsports scene?
    • We have a legal drag strip http://dragguam.com
    • We have an SCCA that autocrosses http://guamroadracers.org
    • We have an off-roading club
    • ATV/Motorcross club
    • Trail riders club
    • And a road track was in the works, but the funding has been (mishandled?) by the government.
Any questions for me, just hollar. I'll be here for 2-3 more years!

Old 06-22-2008, 04:25 AM
PlayPlay
6th Gear
Very cool Wagnbat. My company is going after a contract there. I hope they get it. If so, I might apply to go there! Nice write up about Guam, thanks!

Old 06-22-2008, 11:48 AM
Nitrominis
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I lived on Guam (64-65) we were given warning not to go more then 10 feet (safe zone) into the boonies. The Zero that for some time was on display at Agana was found be me on one of my exploring days going where I was not suppose to go. Heck my best childhood memories were of those 2 years there.
So it is funny for me to here about MINI's there.

Old 06-22-2008, 12:31 PM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
10 feet?

Wow!

Now MWR (military morale welfare & recreation) leads "Boonie Stomps" into the jungle every weekend. I don't know about any zero in Agana, but there is a plane in the Boonies on Anderson that they turned into a memorial. Wasn't shot down though, it was blown off the airstrip during a typhoon and found years later.

But yar, there are Mini's on Guam! Plenty of Scions, subaru's, mitsu's, toyotas, chevys, fords, and of course Hondas.

Old 06-22-2008, 12:49 PM
Nitrominis
Banned
Originally Posted by Wagnbat
10 feet?

Wow!

Now MWR (military morale welfare & recreation) leads "Boonie Stomps" into the jungle every weekend. I don't know about any zero in Agana, but there is a plane in the Boonies on Anderson that they turned into a memorial. Wasn't shot down though, it was blown off the airstrip during a typhoon and found years later.

But yar, there are Mini's on Guam! Plenty of Scions, subaru's, mitsu's, toyotas, chevys, fords, and of course Hondas.
Auh that is possibly my zero. Yes it was on Anderson. My father flew C-130's. I was on PJ survival training when I found it. Check it out. LOL
The warning was for base personal not to go into un checked area's because of live munition from WWII.

So in a MINI you can drive around the island in what ten minutes. LOL

cheers,

Lynn

Old 06-22-2008, 01:04 PM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
The warning was for base personal not to go into un checked area's because of live munition from WWII.
We have a guy on my ship whom earned the nick-name "Boom boom", because he found something on a boonie stomp and brought it back to the ship to see if anyone could help him identify what it was. Turned out to be a live munition, and EOD had to be called in to remove it. Happened before I got here, but everyone knows the story.

As for driving around the entire island... The island is about 9x30 miles.... There are two roads that connect that pretty much allow you to drive the entire island... With the speed limit att 35mph most places, you're looking at over an hour to drive the entire island, if you do not stop anywhere. Which is nearly impossible because there are tons of sights and tourist stops on the south side of the island.

4 "War in the Pacific, Memorial Beach/Parks" which all have relics from WWII on display, and plaques explaining how that area was used as part of the war.

There's the Cella Bay lookout point, which is high up, just off the road affording a spectacular view of the southwest side of the island, bays, and trails leading down to the water.

There's the Guam Viet Nam memorial, which overlooks Umatec and the Spanish Gate.

Then of course theres the little village of Umatec and Spanish Gate itself.

A little further down the road you have what's left of a Spanish Fort with preserved canons still pointing out at sea.

Then you go on to Talofofo Bay, Inaranjan Pools, Jeff's Pirates' Cove, Sgt Yokoi's cave... And more. And that's only stuff you'll see on the south side of the island drive.

Heard about Sgt Yokoi? Japanese WWII Soldier who was in hiding for almost 30 years?

Lots of interesting history and culture here.

-Will-

Old 06-22-2008, 05:23 PM
Nitrominis
Banned
I lived at the top of the hill on base. The elementary school was a walking distance of about 5 minutes for me. It was off base. That should age me rather well. Most of the sites you mention were not tourist attraction when i was there. And the road around the island was only 3/4 complete and very rugged in places. My dad use to take me around in one of the bases jeeps. I have often thought about going back. But it might be much smaller then I remember. LOL

Old 07-27-2008, 03:52 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Do you have a dealership for MINIs in Guam?

Are most of these MINIs imported from the US?
Some will have dealership markings or plate frames.

Do you have a repair or service center for MINIs?

Old 08-06-2008, 09:35 PM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
Yes, Prestige Automobiles is an authorized dealer for Mini, BMW, and Land Rover.

Mini's come straight from the UK on the slow-boat, but they are USA Spec, sold by BMW region Asia.

Prestige is fully capable of meeting all Mini Cooper maintenance needs, however there is one catch that recently came to light. There may be an issue with warranty work for people who bring their Mini's from off island. The service rep there says they have been denied warranty work claims by BMW, for work on Mini's. They are an authorized dealer, and have a dealer number, but there seems to be a quirk in the system with regards to wether or not they are authorized to conduct warranty repairs.

So their stance as of right now, is if you buy a car from them, they will uphold the warranty 100%. If you bring your car from off-island, they will do everything they can to help you, but be forewarned that it will likely have to come out of your pocket.

Old 03-08-2015, 12:21 AM
Hbracer93
Neutral
Back from the dead, anyone still in Guam?

Old 03-08-2015, 11:15 PM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
Not I. In Seattle now.

Old 04-12-2015, 03:07 PM
billas mini
Neutral
New Mini owner in Guam. I think we need to revive the Mini club here in Guam.