North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   GP Talk (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/gp-talk-420/)
-   -   GP2 Rear Clunk Noise (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/gp-talk/326135-gp2-rear-clunk-noise.html)

bkrick 04-13-2018 10:06 AM

GP2 Rear Clunk Noise

I am getting a loud clunking noise from the rear, mostly when the car is on uneven pavement and rocking back and forth. Suspecting either the sway bar bushings or the sway bar end links. Is there a torque setting for the frame mount bushings? Has anyone experienced this?

GT350 04-29-2018 05:25 PM

my guess most likely is the end links. my 07 r56 had the same noise when I bought it, replaced the end links and the noise is gone. now is my GP has that noise too, will replace the end links soon. You can also try to take off the wheel, jack the hub or something solid to compress the suspension, the noise should come up.

JackMac 04-30-2018 04:17 AM

Is it more noticeable at low speeds? It’s fairly common for the GP2 coilovers to have issues and need replacement. Clunking at low speeds is the first sign. Although end links and sway bar bushings are another possibility.

Can’t really diagnose a noise online, needs to be looked at by someone who knows MINIs to determine what’s causing it.

bkrick 04-30-2018 05:05 AM

Thank you for your replies. Sway bar bushings and end links are ok. I did have it in the shop and we found a rust like residue on the top side of the entire rear coils. The noise occurs when the car rocks back and forth over bumps. It was suggested to place axle grease on the coils to see if that stops the noise. I have not tried that yet.

R56BrgMcs 04-30-2018 12:41 PM

I had a clunk that ended up being the endlinks. I replaced them with alta's end links and some poly sway bar bushings and it's quiet now.

bkrick 04-30-2018 01:16 PM

Thank you for the feedback.
While on the subject of noise. Apply the brake, then the gas and I get a metallic type clicking noise from around the firewall. Any thoughts?

jbogp2 08-18-2018 07:13 AM

I've searched high and low for the part numbers or a diagram of the GP2's oem rear suspension. I too have this clunking and just want to replace the parts with oem pieces. Are the endlinks the same as the standard R56 JCW endlinks or are they different? Thanks!

bkrick 08-20-2018 04:27 AM

Thank you for your reply. I purchased the end links as well as the sway bar bushings. However the dealer said it was neither so I returned them The noise at one time was constant, it is now on and off. The appears to be some sort of corrosion or build up on the coils and the thought is that is the origin of the noise. It was suggested that I put a small amount of axle grease on the coils to see if that changes things, but I have not done that yet. As for your question I believe the bushings and end links are the same as a JCW but I cannot tell you that for sure. Good luck with your issue, please let me know if you find a solution. By the way, does your car make a click noise after the following sequence. After the car has moved about 50 yards or so, come to a stop. If you hit the gas with the brake off, even if you don't release the clutch, the noise happens right when you depress the gas pedal.

jbogp2 08-20-2018 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by bkrick (Post 4414978)
Thank you for your reply. I purchased the end links as well as the sway bar bushings. However the dealer said it was neither so I returned them The noise at one time was constant, it is now on and off. The appears to be some sort of corrosion or build up on the coils and the thought is that is the origin of the noise. It was suggested that I put a small amount of axle grease on the coils to see if that changes things, but I have not done that yet. As for your question I believe the bushings and end links are the same as a JCW but I cannot tell you that for sure. Good luck with your issue, please let me know if you find a solution. By the way, does your car make a click noise after the following sequence. After the car has moved about 50 yards or so, come to a stop. If you hit the gas with the brake off, even if you don't release the clutch, the noise happens right when you depress the gas pedal.

So I don't have the car with me today, but I think I found my problem, which wasn't endlinks or bushings. I reported my issue to my long time car-freak father, and took him for a ride. He turned to me and said, "Those aren't endlinks or sway bar bushings. Watch this." He proceeded to open up the rear tailgate, wrapped the trunk latch hook (on the actual hatch door) completely in velcro, and my noise appears to be gone. Might be worth a try! If this doesn't work for you, please let me know what your issue turns out to be!