18 months with a GP2

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 08:25 PM
32 ft. per sec2
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
18 months with a GP2

Use it as a DD putting about 12,000 mi, love this thing even more than when I got and would buy one again but there are some observations.

Mods in no particular order:
Black trim rings all around, WMW's coco mats, billet brake handle, Craven shorty antenna, front license plateholder & dip stick, red gas cap & rear view mirror covers, P3 gauge for temp, Rennline pedal covers and RS door pulls in red of course, Forge IC, WMW Powerflex lower engine mount bushings, WMW turbo heat insulation wrap, Hella 108db horn, WMW Resonator delete pipe, Mini cargo net, Mini audio adapter for iPod, silly "start engine" button cover, and new visor "emergency warning" stickers.

Maintenance in no particular order:
Change the oil every 4K mi, flushed the brakes, everything else by the book at the dealer. Replaced under warranty were the hood & roof decals, rear wing (small CF delamination spot), passenger side window motor, and front areo undertray. Shocks haven't bailed like some on this forum have had happen.

Stuff I love:

I drive the snot out of it and it makes me smile. Yes it's only 1.6L and it's not my air-cooled 911 but man is it so much better ROI!

Stuff that makes me nuts:
I'll own being OCD but the chrome tach & interior temp trim rings mixed with the painted-made-to-look-brushed-aluminum trim is stupid bean-counter stuff. And no temp gauge, seriously BMW? And the window motors are ****-slow and one is sometimes possessed and goes down when it should go up and the dealer still doesn't know why. It seems to have odd squeaks and rattles all the time. Any why the red interior "cross brace" that isn't structural is there is just plain dumb. And why can't I permanently leave it in sport & GP mode? The radio "*****" were designed by someone who has never driven a car and who has really, really, really small fingers. Nothing about the control center layout is intuitive. The driver's visor when deployed doesn't do the job and leaves a large gap in the upper LH quadrant. And the dealer can't figure out why my passenger side rear brake squeals only when the pads are dry.

Mods that are coming:
New, REAL tires not the no-names that the PO put on. Lower the ride & align. Mario's ECU tune, colder plugs and DP.

Mods I may consider:
WMW H-Sport rear sway bar and rear camber links, magnetic oil drain plug, stainless steel brake lines, Cravenspeed short shifter.

Old 03-11-2017, 09:13 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
I loved my GP2 also, but had to get a Countryman for the growing family

mQubed Motorsport, Manic Tuning Dealer

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 03-17-2017, 02:36 AM
kk moto
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 2012 Cayman R, and the GP2 holds it own in terms of being a fun car & having lots of character. I have 40k miles and no issues.

Old 03-17-2017, 07:44 AM
Zillon
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Of all the cars I've owned, I miss the GP2 the most.

The R53 is close, but it's not quite the same.

Old 03-18-2017, 04:18 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Originally Posted by kk moto
I have a 2012 Cayman R, and the GP2 holds it own in terms of being a fun car & having lots of character. I have 40k miles and no issues.
I would love a Cayman R too

But love my GP and wish I had more time to drive it

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 03-21-2017, 04:22 PM
keen
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 32 ft. per sec2
And why can't I permanently leave it in sport & GP mode?
Happily this one is easily solved - the mini community started solving this way way back (thanks Ian!) and have continued the tradition:

http://www.fes-auto.com/products_det...p?productid=24

Mine is always in sport (aka don't have such low pressure fast steering you end up cutting corners too short mode), and I'm pretty sure you can lock it in GP mode if preferred.

edit: looks like it's now NLA (cry), so you'll probably need to find a second hand or leftover stock one... or buy my GP2. :D