GP coilover suspension install

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 05:06 PM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
GP coilover suspension install

I bought the 2013 GP suspension from one of the members. It arrives tomorrow. I have a 2009 factory JCW with the factory Sport suspension.

I got a quote from my dealer, who does extremely good work - of about $675 for the install, and another $159 for the alignment. I had a bad alignment 6 years ago with my last MINI, so I normally lean towards letting the dealer handle that type of work.

Does anyone know how difficult install this type of thing is for a complete novice? Our local MINI club does DIY days four times a year at the dealer where I would have access to a lift, tools, and technician expertise, but I don't want to be a lift hog and take up time that others could use for there minor jobs.

I'm not in a rush, so I can hold out until our next DIY day if this is something that can be tackled. We just had the last DIY day this previous Saturday.

Thanks,

Old 04-25-2013, 06:38 PM
yaphetlives
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you sure they will fit a standard R56? I ask as the GP" strutbrace doesn't fit earlier models than 11/2012 as the holes on the brace don't align up with the strut towers top mount bolt locations.
Whether they still use the same top mounts is what concerns me, or whether they changed the positioning of the top mount bolt holes on the GP2 is the question?? - I guess you could take your top mounts off the stock suspension if you have issues?

Old 04-25-2013, 06:48 PM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Originally Posted by yaphetlives
Are you sure they will fit a standard R56? I ask as the GP" strutbrace doesn't fit earlier models than 11/2012 as the holes on the brace don't align up with the strut towers top mount bolt locations.
Whether they still use the same top mounts is what concerns me, or whether they changed the positioning of the top mount bolt holes on the GP2 is the question?? - I guess you could take your top mounts off the stock suspension if you have issues?
The gentleman that I got these from swapped them out with a set that was designed for my car. He said it was an easy straightforward swap, so it would seem that if he was able to buy an off the shelf coilover designed for my car and do the swap without extra parts, that I should be able to put the GP coilovers on my car without any issues. I guess we'll see.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:32 PM
sooper_cooper
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been to a number of the MoD DIY days and I helped a guy install his coil overs and to my surprise it's actually not difficult at all. I spent a lot of money having mine installed and I wish I'd done it myself now.

There's a lot of guys at the DiY days that will be willing to give you a hand. I'd say wait and do it yourself to save some money then just pay for the alignment.

That is unless you can't wait for the next DIY which won't be until the fall I'm guessing...

Old 04-25-2013, 08:15 PM
TeddyL
1st Gear
Any info on the GP2 coilovers? Can they be bought anywhere? Made by bilstein ?
Thanks for any info

Old 04-25-2013, 09:15 PM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Originally Posted by sooper_cooper
I've been to a number of the MoD DIY days and I helped a guy install his coil overs and to my surprise it's actually not difficult at all. I spent a lot of money having mine installed and I wish I'd done it myself now.

There's a lot of guys at the DiY days that will be willing to give you a hand. I'd say wait and do it yourself to save some money then just pay for the alignment.

That is unless you can't wait for the next DIY which won't be until the fall I'm guessing...
Thanks for your reply. I can hold off until the next one. I'll just make sure I swing by and make sure that what I have will be able to bolt right on.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:13 AM
k_h_d
6th Gear
I installed the JCW suspension which involves removing and disassembling the struts/springs. Then reusing certain parts and re-assembling the JCW strut and springs. It was pretty straight forward and if these are coilovers with the top mounts then it will be even easier. The most difficult part was struggling getting the front struts out of the steering knuckle. Its a simple pinch bolt but it was a tight space to raise the struts out of the knuckle.

Post pictures of the parts when you get them!

Old 04-27-2013, 09:45 AM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Here's a picture of what I received yesterday

Attached Thumbnails GP coilover suspension install-gp-coil-over-suspension.jpg  
Old 04-27-2013, 10:58 AM
yaphetlives
1st Gear
They have no top mounts, so they will fit perfectly well, I thought he was giving you the units straight off the car... All is good here :D

Old 04-27-2013, 11:07 AM
TeddyL
1st Gear
So it's confirmed they're made by Bilstein. Any other GP2 owners looking to sell theirs?
ECS Tuning said they will start offering these soon....wonder what the price will be...hmmm

Old 04-27-2013, 11:14 AM
yaphetlives
1st Gear
They look like they're Bilstein B14s with some custom springs for the GP2 on them. If the spring rates are confirmed that'll make them easier to get hold of...

Old 04-27-2013, 11:50 AM
kfmuller
4th Gear
I spent a grand - maybe a little more than I should have, but I don't know anything about suspensions and thought it would be neat to put the GP suspension on my 2009 factory JCW. At least I found a shop that will install for $300 + $140 for an alignment. My dealer wanted $675 for installation alone.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:40 PM
Kurtster
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
Anyone have the Part number for the GP coil overs? I'm interested in putting them on my Coupe.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:54 PM
miniSherlock92
2nd Gear
Bilstein shocks with h&r springs. Nice setup...

Old 04-28-2013, 03:23 AM
robbo mcs
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Kurtster
Anyone have the Part number for the GP coil overs? I'm interested in putting them on my Coupe.
Front part numbers are here

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...24&hg=31&fg=10

Rear part numbers are here

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...04&hg=33&fg=45

Don't think you can order them though.

The struts look like bilstein PSS with custom HR springs. However, the shocks are likely to have custom valving to match the spring rates. If you want to replicate it it will not just be a case of buying PSS / B14 and putting the same spring rates on. The valving will be different on the struts.

Also it looks like the adjustment perches are a different type to the normal PSS, and use a slightly different spanner setup.

I'm particularily interested because on my R56 JCW rally car I currently have bilstein PSS9 with custom spring rates and valving. I will be interested to see how close it is to this setup.

Robbo

Last edited by robbo mcs; 04-28-2013 at 03:38 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:56 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Here is the link that was started with the part numbers for GP parts.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...the-parts.html

Old 05-04-2013, 08:35 PM
jtack
4th Gear
Originally Posted by kfmuller
I spent a grand - maybe a little more than I should have, but I don't know anything about suspensions and thought it would be neat to put the GP suspension on my 2009 factory JCW. At least I found a shop that will install for $300 + $140 for an alignment. My dealer wanted $675 for installation alone.
That sounds about right...I always hear $70 per corner for install of shocks and springs. I think the alignment is a little on the high side. When I had my rear control arms put on, I had a local shop who does alignments on a bunch mini track cars in the area. He did my algnment for $80 which included the free front negative camber mod.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:32 AM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Got it installed today - very straight forward install by the guys at Texas Track Works. They had the old ones removed, broken down, and the new ones put together and back on in an hour. The alignment took about 45 minutes, and then I was off.

Handling difference and ride is definitely noticeable. I'm extremely pleased with the results.

Now I just need to get the GP rear spoiler on, and the transformation is complete.

Last picture is the before shot.

Attached Thumbnails GP coilover suspension install-gp-coil-over-2.jpg   GP coilover suspension install-gp-coil-over-1.jpg   GP coilover suspension install-karl-car.jpg  

Last edited by kfmuller; 05-06-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:28 AM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Just got in from some spirited driving, and I must say, I can really feel the difference this suspension provides. There's a couple of curves on the way into work that I always feel a bit apprehensive at higher speeds, where the car felt completely under control today. Pretty excited about the GP suspension, and the ride itself isn't at all harsh.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:55 AM
sooper_cooper
5th Gear
Originally Posted by kfmuller
Got it installed today - very straight forward install by the guys at Texas Track Works. They had the old ones removed, broken down, and the new ones put together and back on in an hour. The alignment took about 45 minutes, and then I was off.

Handling difference and ride is definitely noticeable. I'm extremely pleased with the results.

Now I just need to get the GP rear spoiler on, and the transformation is complete.

Last picture is the before shot.

Nice! Looks so much better now that the wheel gap is gone. Looking forward to pics when you get your GP2 spoiler installed.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:18 AM
Kurtster
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
You're really going to make me go buy this kit aren't you? Damn. So envious.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:35 PM
Tommy Liveoak
2nd Gear
What did you set the height at with the coilovers? Do you know what the Front and Rear Camber were set at as well as the Toe? Getting these for my car as well

Old 11-19-2013, 05:25 PM
batdevice_
3rd Gear
looks great!

Old 11-20-2013, 07:52 PM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Tommy Liveoak
What did you set the height at with the coilovers? Do you know what the Front and Rear Camber were set at as well as the Toe? Getting these for my car as well

Not sure on any of this - I had the guys at Texas Track Works do the setup and whatever they did is great.

No weird tire wear, no pulling - just a great ride.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:48 PM
Tommy Liveoak
2nd Gear
I should be picking my GP Coilovers this Thursday and installing Thursday or Friday

Did you need any spacers? I have the same wheels as you.

Quick Reply: GP coilover suspension install