How good is the sound in the GP?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 10:25 PM
Snowie
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How good is the sound in the GP?

Hi all,

How good is your sound system in the GP? Seeing that there's no option to upgrade, I am a bit concern about it as it's really the only single option that I want from this car.

I wasn't very impressed with the HK in our 2012 Coupe S, however acceptable.

If it's not good enough, any option/route I can take to upgrade it?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 08-01-2013, 12:37 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
The GP doesn't have rear speakers and less sound insulation, so those are two areas to start at. Otherwise approach it the same as upgrading the sound system for a generic R56.

Last edited by rkw; 08-01-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:40 AM
bill3571
1st Gear
actually its terrible.. the car only has 4 speakers and you cant hear anything over 70mph unless you listen to audio books lol

I would love to upgrade the sound asap.. but I don't want to add tons of weight.
any suggestions?

Old 08-01-2013, 08:03 AM
akng
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bill3571
actually its terrible.. the car only has 4 speakers and you cant hear anything over 70mph unless you listen to audio books lol

I would love to upgrade the sound asap.. but I don't want to add tons of weight.
any suggestions?
May be you can try the factory Alpine Factory Kit!

If you do, let me know how it turns out as I would be interested to put it on my GP as well!

Old 08-01-2013, 09:03 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by akng
May be you can try the factory Alpine Factory Kit!

If you do, let me know how it turns out as I would be interested to put it on my GP as well!
Not available on 2nd gen, that was a 1st gen IIRC.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:50 AM
akng
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by yetti96
That's not true. My dealer have confirmed it fits my GP and you can also find it on RealOEM.com as well.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...42&hg=65&fg=95

http://www.minigenuineparts.co.uk/mi...2.153.318.html

Old 08-01-2013, 04:01 PM
TimB
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by bill3571
With windows up or down? The sound isn't very good but like many other features the GP does not offer, you quickly adjust and forget they're not there.

As unremarkable of a sound system it has, I've actually had no problems hearing music at any speed. Talking via the Bluetooth connection on the freeway...that's another story. As a matter of fact, with the stock Kuhmo's still on the car, using the Bluetooth was just frustrating over 40mph.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:11 PM
rum4
Banned
I have no issues using BT on the freeway, of course though I travel with windows up almost all the time.

My stereo is ok but with less insulation it is a bit harder to hear the music, just turn up the volume. Love my GP

Old 08-01-2013, 06:29 PM
JackMac
6th Gear
Received 307 Likes on 221 Posts
That's not true. My dealer have confirmed it fits my GP and you can also find it on RealOEM.com as well.

Nice

Old 08-01-2013, 07:22 PM
TimB
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rum4
I have no issues using BT on the freeway, of course though I travel with windows up almost all the time.

My stereo is ok but with less insulation it is a bit harder to hear the music, just turn up the volume. Love my GP
I have to repeat myself quite a bit if I'm driving over 60 or so. I can actually hear quite well. It's the person on the other end of the phone who's having a hard time hearing me with the background noise. But like I said before, I just adjust and move on...I don't answer the phone when I'm on the freeway.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:30 PM
jrs66
3rd Gear
I think the speakers are quite good for not having rears. Also, I use BT every day... never noticed an issue a neither did anyone I talked to. Anyone claiming they can't hear the stereo is being a bit disingenuous.

Old 08-02-2013, 04:34 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting, never heard of anyone doing that retro before on a 2nd gen. Would aftermarket stuff be better for the same price or equal for cheaper?

Old 08-02-2013, 05:52 AM
akng
3rd Gear

Interesting, never heard of anyone doing that retro before on a 2nd gen. Would aftermarket stuff be better for the same price or equal for cheaper?
Likely better. But this provides perfect fitting and original factory look.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:05 PM
rccyber
Neutral
Originally Posted by Snowie
Hi all,

How good is your sound system in the GP? Seeing that there's no option to upgrade, I am a bit concern about it as it's really the only single option that I want from this car.

I wasn't very impressed with the HK in our 2012 Coupe S, however acceptable.

If it's not good enough, any option/route I can take to upgrade it?

Thanks,
Chris
As stated the sound in the GP is just horrible. I looked at a few options but finally decided on the Integral Audio system. Its a 2k + system and was a little hesitant to pull the trigger but let me tell you its the best 2k i've ever spent. This system is absolutely Awesome!! The clarity and sound separation is unbelievable and the thump form the sub is superb. Crisp and clean and no distortion. I could not be any happier with my decision, i now love to roll the windows down and crank up volume and go for a spirited spin. The installation was seamless and looks factory no cutting or splicing and Kevin the owner of IA redesigned a new false floor specifically for the GP. Its not the cheapest choice but IMO its the best out their. Hope this help you.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:19 PM
T51R
Neutral
Originally Posted by rccyber
As stated the sound in the GP is just horrible. I looked at a few options but finally decided on the Integral Audio system. Its a 2k + system and was a little hesitant to pull the trigger but let me tell you its the best 2k i've ever spent. This system is absolutely Awesome!! The clarity and sound separation is unbelievable and the thump form the sub is superb. Crisp and clean and no distortion. I could not be any happier with my decision, i now love to roll the windows down and crank up volume and go for a spirited spin. The installation was seamless and looks factory no cutting or splicing and Kevin the owner of IA redesigned a new false floor specifically for the GP. Its not the cheapest choice but IMO its the best out their. Hope this help you.
I got the Integral Audio system in my GP too, been on the car for a month now, and I'm very pleased ... Those Factory speakers are piece of crap, the worst ever. Even cars from the 70s would have better ones.Kevin sent me a false floor that fit the Cooper S because the false floor for the GP was never been developed when I purchased the system, but he is sending me one for the GP whenever it's available.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:04 AM
enchanting_sorcress
1st Gear
RRCyber and T51R, have you guys got pics of your install?

Old 08-31-2013, 06:47 PM
rccyber
Neutral
Pics

Here is a few i took!

Attached Thumbnails How good is the sound in the GP?-1.jpg   How good is the sound in the GP?-2.jpg   How good is the sound in the GP?-3.jpg  
Old 12-18-2013, 06:17 PM
GP4me
1st Gear
I just purchased a used 2013 GP with 5000 miles and would like to upgrade the audio system. In my initial research I have found the following products that will maintain a factory look and significantly improving the sound quality.

Mini A pillar covers with tweeter enclosure-$200 pair
Hertz HSK163 3 way component speakers-$600 pair
Alpine PDXF6 4 channel Amplifier-$425
Install labor/parts-$375
Total cost-$1600

I can always add a subwoofer/enclosure and amp for additional $750. However, I really doubt I would need it since a good 3 way system with high quality amplification should be plenty for the driver/passenger in a car so small. Has anyone else gone a direction similar to this with success. I welcome your thoughts and feedback.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:17 PM
hexproject
3rd Gear

Has anyone done the this retro fit??

Old 09-04-2014, 05:11 PM
keen
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
nope. wasn't impressed with reviews I read around the various forums - so bit the bullet on the one option I could find -zero- complaints about. Hopefully it'll get here soon!

(that would be the Integral Audio Soundstage + sub, btw. http://www.integralaudio.com/index.p...ni-cooper.html)

and yes, the base stereo pretty much sounds better turned off. I think the center-dash speaker of my '79 rabbit sounds better. but the rabbit doesn't rip your face off if you touch the brakes.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:19 PM
keen
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by hexproject
Has anyone done the this retro fit??

...so to follow up on this idea further (I plan on a much more detailed post with ugly graphs and ugly truths later once it's all said and done...):

-SOME- (presumably late build) GP2 cars (not sure where the cutoff is, but mine is one of them) have yet another unique onboard filter set (drastically different from the standard/hifi/hk filter packages), and unique wiring/speaker setup.

On these cars, the traditional "rear" channel wiring from the headunit feeds the "woofer" in the door, and the "front" channel wiring feeds the "tweeter" in the door. There's no fade control, and no wiring to the rear 6x9 holes. (note that the rear brace brackets block the 6x9 holes, and the rear wall trim panels don't have grills....so you're SOL using those anyway without surgery).

..and that's where things get interesting. There is -NO- "full range" output from the headunit in these cars. The "front" wiring has (basically) a bandpass filter applied (rolling off above 5k and below 200hz). The "rear" wiring has a bandpass rolling off above 200hz, and below 50hz.

If you poke around KOMBI (iirc), you'll see useful things like this:

RAD22_VEHICLE_FILTERS
r56_gp2_stereo
RAD22_CROSSOVER_B
r56_gp2_stereo

So without either potentially recoding, or using a denormalizing DSP, you really don't want to put a bunch of money into speakers and amps for one of these with the plan of using the stock headunit.

FWIW.

More details when I either have solutions or give up and put a single din in the secret compartment delete delete, or in the wayback....

Oh, and in case I wasn't clear - to summarize, the stock late GP2 sound is ABSOLUTE CRAP.

Old 10-06-2014, 03:54 PM
JCW_Coupe
5th Gear
well I have the Alpine kit in my GP and the Integral Audio Rear Sub kit sounds nice but not a lot of volume out of the alpines...

Old 10-06-2014, 03:55 PM
JCW_Coupe
5th Gear
Originally Posted by keen
but the rabbit doesn't rip your face off if you touch the brakes.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:54 PM
Drivehard
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wait. Let me get this. And I'm a racer. Die hard car guy. Track rat etc etc etc.........

You guys are discussing the audio quality of a car offered by an OEM to be a bare bones no rear seat no sound insulation rough riding near close to track only use car ?

Come on really.

I'm with you guys. I get the attraction to the GP2.

Really the radio. That's what the issue is.

I don't get it. Just me. Sorry carry on.

Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring

Old 10-06-2014, 05:56 PM
JCW_Coupe
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Drivehard
Wait. Let me get this. And I'm a racer. Die hard car guy. Track rat etc etc etc.........

You guys are discussing the audio quality of a car offered by an OEM to be a bare bones no rear seat no sound insulation rough riding near close to track only use car ?

Come on really.

I'm with you guys. I get the attraction to the GP2.

Really the radio. That's what the issue is.

I don't get it. Just me. Sorry carry on.

Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring
wait, what?> Didnt you see IRON EAGLE?
I need tunes to carve the canyons with :P

Quick Reply: How good is the sound in the GP?