Is there a GP "kit" and a factory GP?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 03:40 PM
duckdownman
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a GP "kit" and a factory GP?

i tried searching around but couldn't seem to find much info on this.
I'm currently looking at two 2013 GPs to purchase and although they look identical i did notice different listed weights.

The first GP shows :
02-2013
GVWR 3108 LBS 1410 KG
GAWR FRONT 1830 LBS 830 KG
GAWR REAR 1345 LBS 610 KG

stock 1673T

The second GP shows:
06-2012
GVWR 3527 LBS 1600 KG
GAWR FRONT 1929 LBS 875 KG
GAWR REAR 1676 LBS 760 KG

stock 1070P

I don't know if this means only one is legit or not but this raised a red flag to me. I see the build dates are different but the second one i listed seems to share the stats of a non GP JCW.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-14-2017, 04:16 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Buying two ?!
No kits.
Would seem one of those listings has garbage for stats, that's all.
Are you starting a race team, or is this just the easiest way to keep your significant other happy ?

Weight differences of that amount is usually attributed to transmission type but the GP's are stick.

Old 04-14-2017, 05:10 PM
duckdownman
Neutral
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
Buying two ?!
No kits.
Would seem one of those listings has garbage for stats, that's all.
Are you starting a race team, or is this just the easiest way to keep your significant other happy ?

Weight differences of that amount is usually attributed to transmission type but the GP's are stick.
lol no just one, i didn't word my post correctly. I'm looking at two different GP's with the intent on purchasing one of them. The info I'm getting is from sticker on the car with the vin number. The weight listed in the same as for a stock 2013 JCW, which is the reason I'm questioning its authenticity. I've looked at a few other GP's (online) and they all have 3108 as the GVWR. so in theory it "could" be a misprint but i doubt it would be on the official factory door sticker.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:44 PM
Noonzio
5th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 103 Posts
There is only a factory GP

Old 04-14-2017, 11:52 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by duckdownman

The second GP shows:
06-2012
GVWR 3527 LBS 1600 KG
GAWR FRONT 1929 LBS 875 KG
GAWR REAR 1676 LBS 760 KG
Do you mean 06-2012 production date? There is something wrong with that. The R56 GP did not begin delivery to customers until 2013 (you can Google this). The GP has a different suspension from the S and will have a different GVWR/GAWR (which by the way is not weight of the car but the maximum allowable loading weight).

Run the VIN of both cars into this decoder: http://bimmer.work/. It will list the factory options on the car. A GP should be listed with Option 7KH "John Cooper Works Gp" (I tested it with the VIN of a 2013 GP for sale on the web).

Perhaps the 06-2012 car was loaded up with GP cosmetic parts: http://www.motoringfile.com/2013/06/...to-the-jcw-gp/

Old 04-15-2017, 06:03 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
So what you are saying is that you are physically looking at their respective factory window stickers, and both documents indicate GP, but both have conflicting data with respect to weight ?

That is odd.

When shipped even the tires were the same, they were only swapped out at the dealer, other than that data and cars were "cookie cuttered " to US, 2000 cars.

Old 04-15-2017, 01:44 PM
duckdownman
Neutral
Originally Posted by rkw
Do you mean 06-2012 production date? There is something wrong with that. The R56 GP did not begin delivery to customers until 2013 (you can Google this). The GP has a different suspension from the S and will have a different GVWR/GAWR (which by the way is not weight of the car but the maximum allowable loading weight).

Run the VIN of both cars into this decoder: http://bimmer.work/. It will list the factory options on the car. A GP should be listed with Option 7KH "John Cooper Works Gp" (I tested it with the VIN of a 2013 GP for sale on the web).

Perhaps the 06-2012 car was loaded up with GP cosmetic parts: http://www.motoringfile.com/2013/06/...to-the-jcw-gp/
Thank you very much for the info and link.
So both do in fact have the "7KH" listed under options so I'm guessing that's a good sign. I'm not sure why the weight sticker is different but if it's max loadable weight it's pretty much a non issue. I'm just not sure why they would be different.
Another point you made was the maufacture date. I have been trying to look at other GPs for sale and I see one at dutchess county in NY and that has 11-2012 on the label. Is it possible the earliest ones had 2012 dates but sold in 2013?

I know it was pretty easy to spot a cooper S with a JCW performance kit vs a factory JCW but I just wanted to make surethere was nothing like that with the GP. I guess looking at all the GP parts/trim if would be even more expensive to make a fake one.

Old 04-15-2017, 05:32 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
I see one at dutchess county in NY and that has 11-2012 on the label. Is it possible the earliest ones had 2012 dates but sold in 2013?
Yes, the GP2 had its debut in late 2012, although customer deliveries didn't begin until 2013. 11-2012 is reasonable but 6-2012 is strange. Does the VIN decoder also show that as the build date?

I'm not sure why the weight sticker is different but if it's max loadable weight it's pretty much a non issue.
Well, sorta. If it's accurate it means the suspension is different, and you want to be sure that it has the GP suspension. I suppose for first builds they might not have known the correct numbers yet.

Overall, it's very expensive to put together a complete fake GP (Recaro seats, rear diffuser, wheels, brakes, rear seat delete, etc) and a fake shouldn't be hard to spot.

Old 04-16-2017, 02:34 AM
duckdownman
Neutral
[QUOTE=rkw;4294805]Yes, the GP2 had its debut in late 2012, although customer deliveries didn't begin until 2013. 11-2012 is reasonable but 6-2012 is strange. Does the VIN decoder also show that as the build date?

yeah the vin decoder shows the same:

Type SU93
Model John Cooper Workjohn Coos - USA
Development Code R56 (JCW)
Chassis COUPE
Steering LL
Doors 3
Engine N18
Displacement 1.60
Power 155
Drivetrain FRONT
Transmission MECH
Color Thunder Grey Metallic - B58
Upholstery Sonderpolsterung - Z1XX
Production Plant OXFORD
Production Date 2012-06-28

and under options it does have : 7KH John Cooper Works Gp

and i agree it should be easy to spot a fake but you never know. the body kit, paint and stickers would be easy to do but it has the dash with the red trim, rear red bar in the back etc. Going through all of that trouble to make a fake would be too time consuming and expensive. literally the only thing that thew me off was the build date and load weight. The seller didn't specify what number it was (i.e. #93 of 500) nor does it have the roof sticker but that seems to be 50/50 that sellers state that info. GPs for sale here on the forum i see its always stated, dealers I've never seen it stated, and private sale outside of here its hot or miss.

i really appreciate all the info and help, i wouldn't be able to get these answers by myself.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:36 AM
keen
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
i tried searching around but couldn't seem to find much info on this.
I'm currently looking at two 2013 GPs to purchase and although they look identical i did notice different listed weights.

There were definitely changes over time during the GP2 production - so if that early really is just a very very early build GP2, perhaps the weights simply changed due to changes.

For example, some GP2s have the stereo "fader" for front/rear level adjustment enabled - and it fades between the upper/lower speakers in the doors. There are other changes across the span in the stereo system as well.

Perhaps they changed other details like sound deadening or something that would have obvious weight impact.

Honestly I'd think a fake GP2 would be easy to spot - pop one of the taillight access panels and look inside. Is it Thunder Grey inside? (and since TG was only on the GP...)

You've have to be pretty dedicated to repaint the interior. OTOH, to fake a GP2 you'd also have to cut metal out of the inside (you have to remove the rear seat latch mount arm to fit the GP2 side panels) - so if you had half or more of the interior apart anyway, maybe you'd go ahead and respray it.