GP2 sales

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 06:00 PM
gaffman
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GP2 sales

Why are there so many GP2s for sale with very low mileage?
Compared to JCWs there are maybe 5/1 GP2s for sale.
Why buy a GP2 then sell it with 1-2 thousand miles on it?

Thanks

Old 11-22-2014, 06:23 PM
1guru2
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gaffman
Why are there so many GP2s for sale with very low mileage?
Compared to JCWs there are maybe 5/1 GP2s for sale.
Why buy a GP2 then sell it with 1-2 thousand miles on it?

Thanks
Kind of like an ugly girlfriend. Once the thrill is gone----they're gone!!

Old 11-22-2014, 06:27 PM
Zillon
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
People probably realized it's too much racekor for a daily driver.

Old 11-23-2014, 02:21 AM
N2MINI
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Maybe they realized they needed the backseat more then they thought.. and or a lot of people bought/signed up to buy one and then maybe it wasn't what they were hoping for once they got it. Wasn't going to be a DD anyway and now moved on.. Actually talked to a guy yesterday who bought new both a 1st Gen GP and a 2nd Gen, who currently has a Paceman and he plans to buy another 1st Gen soon.. Said it was just a better car. More raw...

Old 11-23-2014, 01:19 PM
sgaffman
1st Gear
Thanks for the replies guys. My Dad is the OP, and I'm the one looking, he's helping me out. Got my Mini-obsession from him (thanks Dad!! lol) and am in the market for a low-mile 2012/2013 JCW. The search has been tough as there aren't many available, but there seem to be a disproportionate amount of GPs for sale given only 500 made there way to the states. This car will be a DD for me in SoCal, so the GP is giving me some pause, but I'm 32, not married, no kids, so backseats and "comfort" aren't big requirements of mine. My concern is getting into a GP then having issues trying to resell it in 3-4 years, and given the current supply/demand, I'd say that concern is semi-warranted. Thoughts?

Old 11-23-2014, 02:28 PM
minsanity
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Get a GP1. Much more fun to own, mod.....& easier to maintain yourself. Gen1s are more reliable, has the addicting supercharger whine. It's the best MINI to date.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:32 PM
Zillon
5th Gear
Originally Posted by sgaffman
Thanks for the replies guys. My Dad is the OP, and I'm the one looking, he's helping me out. Got my Mini-obsession from him (thanks Dad!! lol) and am in the market for a low-mile 2012/2013 JCW. The search has been tough as there aren't many available, but there seem to be a disproportionate amount of GPs for sale given only 500 made there way to the states. This car will be a DD for me in SoCal, so the GP is giving me some pause, but I'm 32, not married, no kids, so backseats and "comfort" aren't big requirements of mine. My concern is getting into a GP then having issues trying to resell it in 3-4 years, and given the current supply/demand, I'd say that concern is semi-warranted. Thoughts?
A pre-owned GP2 has already taken the biggest depreciation hit it will ever take. They're still fantastic cars that are sought after - I bought one myself.

No kids, never having kids, and got tired of trying to turn my various past cars into race cars, so I just bought one that was already a race car.

Also, GP1 might be 'easier' to wrench on, but the GP2 still isn't bad by any means. Plus, it's still under warranty.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:38 PM
petery
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Zillon
A pre-owned GP2 has already taken the biggest depreciation hit it will ever take. Plus, it's still under warranty.
I bought one my self too, it had 1170 in 10/20/14 when I bought it. Today it's at 2584. I live in SoCal doing daily from Fullerton to Downtown LA. I figured after 2 or 3 years later when I decide to sell it, it will still be 25k~30K. No regret buying after a month driving it daily, this is the best driver's car I've owned so far.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:17 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by petery
I bought one my self too, it had 1170 in 10/20/14 when I bought it. Today it's at 2584. I live in SoCal doing daily from Fullerton to Downtown LA. I figured after 2 or 3 years later when I decide to sell it, it will still be 25k~30K. No regret buying after a month driving it daily, this is the best driver's car I've owned so far.
I agree, my GP2 is my daily driver. I go to work, Costco, movie dates, race track, canyon runs and it works perfect for me. Sometimes I turn it to MapC and burn 5 gallons of MS109 Race gas.

mQuebed Manic Tuning Dealer

Attached Thumbnails GP2 sales-image-338084746.jpg  
2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 11-24-2014, 10:29 PM
Zillon
5th Gear
I'd love to just keep buying low-mileage GP2s for the next 10 years or so.

This car will ruin me.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:24 AM
sgaffman
1st Gear
Thanks for the insight guys. Yeah the GP1 definitely speaks to me, and if I was looking for a raw, weekend 2nd car I'd be all over one. The GP2 just speaks to me more loudly lol.

@petery: good info. I used to drive from Fullerton to Compton on the 91, but since have moved to downtown LB and commute to Compton - much better!

@MarioKart: sounds great! Plus I like being able to say no to carrying a bunch of people - sorry, no back seats! I also love the look of yours without the side decals. More of a GP1 look, very clean!

Was at Crevier last weekend to drive the 13 Black JCW they had, and was very close to pulling the trigger. They were working with me on price and were even going to throw in the JCW/Alcantera steering wheel and installation. But I'm a Mechanical Engineer, and the technical guy in me just couldn't justify paying about the same or even slightly more for a JCW over a GP2. Time to find the right GP2!

Old 11-25-2014, 03:34 PM
Zillon
5th Gear
I hate people in my back seats. Always putting their feet in places they shouldn't.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:57 PM
petery
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I used to drive from Fullerton to Compton on the 91,
..just couldn't justify paying about the same or even slightly more for a JCW over a GP2.
I am driving from Fullerton to Downtown LA on the 5 FWY. I use sport button on the street and don't use it if I want to relax on the freeway it seems much smoother without the sport button minus the exhaust noise.

@Zillon, I know what you mean, they always kick my seat.

Old 11-26-2014, 03:52 AM
percymon
2nd Gear
As already stated, the appeal of the GP is the driving experience - raw, summer driver / second car in the main.

The lack of practicality and the rawness starts to put folk off.

As a long term propsect if you can live with the impracticality then it'd be a good buy, prices will hold strong long term but remember its a more limited market when you come to sell on. This is probably whey prices currently are comparable to JCW.

you could probably buy now and resell in the late spring for almost no loss with the right deal.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:42 PM
LILYisatig3r
3rd Gear
Thanks for the insight guys. Yeah the GP1 definitely speaks to me, and if I was looking for a raw, weekend 2nd car I'd be all over one. The GP2 just speaks to me more loudly lol.

@petery: good info. I used to drive from Fullerton to Compton on the 91, but since have moved to downtown LB and commute to Compton - much better!

@MarioKart: sounds great! Plus I like being able to say no to carrying a bunch of people - sorry, no back seats! I also love the look of yours without the side decals. More of a GP1 look, very clean!

Was at Crevier last weekend to drive the 13 Black JCW they had, and was very close to pulling the trigger. They were working with me on price and were even going to throw in the JCW/Alcantera steering wheel and installation. But I'm a Mechanical Engineer, and the technical guy in me just couldn't justify paying about the same or even slightly more for a JCW over a GP2. Time to find the right GP2!
There are like four for sale in the Marketplace right now, it's kind of crazy.

Old 11-29-2014, 06:09 PM
Ovrclck
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Was at Crevier last weekend to drive the 13 Black JCW they had, and was very close to pulling the trigger. They were working with me on price and were even going to throw in the JCW/Alcantera steering wheel and installation.
I was there last weekend, probably the same time you were there. Small world huh? I decided to wait a week, picked it up yesterday.

I'm curious, what price were you trying to get the JCW for?

Sent from cellular device.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:56 AM
Richard Kellstrom
1st Gear
Maybe I am missing something but my GP2 is not "raw" by any means. It has plushy interior, a radio, heat and AC. Its not that harsh and does not rattle or bang on the roads. I have another R53 JCW its about the same driving feel. The suspension is a bit stiffer and the brakes are better but its definitely nothing like any of the dedicated track cars I have owned or driven. I findi it hard that anyone how would get in one would be like "that car is an animal!!! How could anyone live with this?" It feels pretty basic to me and comfortable as a daily driver.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:29 PM
GEMSTER
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
^Its because for the same price, you can get a JCW with everything on the options list. You get Nav, H/K system (still shitty, i know), comfort access (one thing I miss A LOT), a rear window wiper, MFSW, 2 extra seats, etc. These creature comforts is what makes a more appealing DD. And people also don't see the added performance value in a GP2. They just see a JCW with some tacky stickers on.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:14 PM
Zillon
5th Gear
Originally Posted by GEMSTER
^Its because for the same price, you can get a JCW with everything on the options list. You get Nav, H/K system (still shitty, i know), comfort access (one thing I miss A LOT), a rear window wiper, MFSW, 2 extra seats, etc. These creature comforts is what makes a more appealing DD. And people also don't see the added performance value in a GP2. They just see a JCW with some tacky stickers on.
Funny thing is, I don't want any of that, save for the HK audio.

The GP was 99% tailor-made for me.

Old 12-04-2014, 04:57 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
I love my daily driver GP2 even on my KW V3's
Only thing I miss is Comfort Access

mQuebed Manic Tuning Dealer

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 12-23-2014, 02:34 PM
sgaffman
1st Gear
Finally pulled the trigger on #0469. Was up in Marin at the Mini dealer there and just couldn't pass it up. Been driving it daily for a week now and love it more every day! It came with some tasteful NM Engineering mods like the open element air filter, silicone hoses, and titanium heat shield. Wasn't a huge fan at first but it's really the way the car should have come if bean counters didn't restrict engineers so much lol. Now to get the runflats off.

Old 12-23-2014, 03:24 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Finally pulled the trigger on #0469. Was up in Marin at the Mini dealer there and just couldn't pass it up. Been driving it daily for a week now and love it more every day! It came with some tasteful NM Engineering mods like the open element air filter, silicone hoses, and titanium heat shield. Wasn't a huge fan at first but it's really the way the car should have come if bean counters didn't restrict engineers so much lol. Now to get the runflats off.
Congrats, I still love driving my 7 days a week. Enoy!

mQubed Motorsport, Manic Tuning Dealer

Old 12-29-2014, 06:14 AM
speedtoyz1
1st Gear
Just picked up my GP2 Saturday night (at the local Volvo dealer of all places). We knew of two other available GP2s - one at the Greenville, SC dealer and one at a New Jersey dealer. When we found this one local to us and a much better price than the other two, we had to pull the trigger.

The car is an absolute blast to drive and I couldn't be happier. Definitely a civilized DD when needed but a rocket in the twisties when you want it to be.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:57 AM
483 of 500
1st Gear
Just picked up #483 on Wednesday evening. I love it already. I've always wanted one. Now waiting for spring. It's my DD, but I'm dying to take it to a track day.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:54 AM
signcarver
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Coming from an '09 JCW, my GP2 is much more stable, less "twitchy" and rides just a well as the JCW did.

By far the most fun car to drive i have ever owned including an RX7 and a Boxster.

Miss the comfort access, don't miss the cruise.

Quick Reply: GP2 sales