Brake Pad options for the GP Caliper

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 09:18 AM
MiniMoic
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Brake Pad options for the GP Caliper

So I read somewhere that the GP caliper is the same as the 135, but cant find any vendor selling performance pads for the GP - other than Way, of course-Has anyone used/bought high temp pads? Hawk DTC-30, 60 or 70 or Fedoros Ds3000?

Old 09-12-2013, 04:07 PM
kk moto
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm looking for a brake pad that's a step up from the stock pad. A pad that's designed for aggressive street / track use. Also, I want fairly rotor friendly &
reasonable squealing.

Thanks

Old 09-12-2013, 06:10 PM
k_h_d
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will be putting my Carbotech AX6 pads to the test this weekend at our 6th autocross. So far the bite / stopping power over OEM is unbelievable. Its hard to believe that a brake pad makes such a drastic difference. They are not quite like OEM but thats fine with me. If I commuted in this car a lot and was in stop and go traffic I guess lower performance quieter pad would be better.

I am sure that Carbotech can cut GP specific pads for you.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:29 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
I only have the EBCs for the GP right now. I don't use Hawks as I've had too many problems with them.
Ferodo pads always seem to make too much noise, and are pricey.

For light track use I'd use the EBC yellows, they will handle the heat and are very rotor friendly.
The Redstuff pads are great for daily use.
We also have some Textar pads which is the company that makes the OEM GP pads, but they are just the same as the stock pads.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 09-13-2013, 05:50 AM
MiniMoic
4th Gear
Originally Posted by k_h_d
I will be putting my Carbotech AX6 pads to the test this weekend at our 6th autocross. So far the bite / stopping power over OEM is unbelievable. Its hard to believe that a brake pad makes such a drastic difference. They are not quite like OEM but thats fine with me. If I commuted in this car a lot and was in stop and go traffic I guess lower performance quieter pad would be better.

I am sure that Carbotech can cut GP specific pads for you.
I already smoked the OEM pads. I´ve been tracking cars for 4 years, and yes, for track use, they make a difference. It depends on driving style and track course, but i prefer to be on the safe side than pressing the pedal and nothing happens. I will call Carbotech!

Old 09-13-2013, 11:10 AM
DFWGP
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MiniMoic
I already smoked the OEM pads. I´ve been tracking cars for 4 years, and yes, for track use, they make a difference. It depends on driving style and track course, but i prefer to be on the safe side than pressing the pedal and nothing happens. I will call Carbotech!
Any track videos of you in action?

Old 09-13-2013, 12:46 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Here is the list of BMW 6 piston pads that fit the GP front brakes. The rear pads follow the same as the rears. I would just match them of course. Hawk HPS and Redstuff are good for some track days and street use. For more track the yellows or even HT 10 +, higher on the hawks they can take some time to warm up.

Here is what we have.

Front Brake Pad Set MINI GP 6 piston

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/34106860642/

&

And the rears Which are the same as the JCW.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/34216778327/

Thanks and let see some of those track day pics

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-14-2013, 12:59 PM
MiniMoic
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Here is the list of BMW 6 piston pads that fit the GP front brakes. The rear pads follow the same as the rears. I would just match them of course. Hawk HPS and Redstuff are good for some track days and street use. For more track the yellows or even HT 10 +, higher on the hawks they can take some time to warm up.

Here is what we have.

Front Brake Pad Set MINI GP 6 piston

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/34106860642/

&

And the rears Which are the same as the JCW.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/34216778327/

Thanks and let see some of those track day pics

Thanks! Excelent info.. Do you guys carry the DTC 30?

Old 09-16-2013, 06:11 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
You are welcome, we added the DTC 30 to the list. Click the front pad list again.

Thanks

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-19-2013, 12:47 PM
DeemanZA
Neutral
Part numbers please

Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
I only have the EBCs for the GP right now. I don't use Hawks as I've had too many problems with them.
Ferodo pads always seem to make too much noise, and are pricey.

For light track use I'd use the EBC yellows, they will handle the heat and are very rotor friendly.
The Redstuff pads are great for daily use.
We also have some Textar pads which is the company that makes the OEM GP pads, but they are just the same as the stock pads.
Do you have the part numbers for Yellow please, front and rear.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:10 AM
cooper a
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Guys I recomend to regard EBC Bluestuff NDX DP51995NDX. It should be better than yellow in everything, may be except dust. Do not be confused that it is positioned as "Full Race" - Bluestuff is pretty good when cold, no problem at all! As DD pads Bluestuff is better than DS2500 which I changed on Blue (my brakes are not GP). I also used Yellow but on other calipers.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:16 PM
ASH930
Neutral
EBC Yellows

I tried to order a front set of EBC Yellows for my GP with Way Motor Works but I cannot select a shipping method.

Do you guys ship to Sydney, Australia?

Cheers

Old 10-03-2013, 04:52 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
ASH930 - We ship international. See the links above and just add it to you cart, then choose the shipping method or service you want.

Thanks

Old 10-03-2013, 03:15 PM
ASH930
Neutral
ASH930 - We ship international. See the links above and just add it to you cart, then choose the shipping method or service you want.

Thanks
Thank you for your reply. In your opinion, which one is a better track pad? EBC Yellows or Hawk DTC-60? I won't drive them on the street, just to and from track days.

Cheers

Old 10-04-2013, 08:45 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
ASH930 - The DTC-60 are a track pad ( and aggressive ) where the the EBC yellows can be for track and street, just make sure your get the same type for the front and back.

Thanks

Old 10-04-2013, 03:09 PM
cooper a
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
just make sure your get the same type for the front and back.
It is not necessary. Even MINI Challenge cars use stock pads in the rear brakes.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:57 PM
Johnna
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniMoic
I've worn out my front pads as well after 10K miles. A few of those miles were on the track. The odd thing is that they wore down to the backing plate at the trailing edge of the pad while there was still enough pad in the middle to keep from triggering the wear sensor. Did your pads wear evenly?

I'm thinking of getting a dedicated set of pads and rotors for the track…..

Last edited by Johnna; 01-23-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:34 AM
kk moto
1st Gear
Has anyone noticed with the GP that with hard braking with street driving, you push down the pedal and you reach a point where that's basically it? It's like I'm pushing against something, but it's not giving anymore braking. It's like you reach a point where the linear - ness is basically gone.

I put the EBC yellows on awhile back. Can't say I'm impressed. I just wonder if I need better fluid or a larger master cylinder, or different brake set? It's unnerving
when you push the brakes hard and there's nothing really there after a certain point.

In contrast, I own a Cayman R and the GP brakes are more grabby and would be better than the Cayman if I didn't run into the above sometimes. The Cayman brakes feel mushy and you really have to push hard, but it basically does delivers.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:10 AM
robbo mcs
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by kk moto
Has anyone noticed with the GP that with hard braking with street driving, you push down the pedal and you reach a point where that's basically it? It's like I'm pushing against something, but it's not giving anymore braking. It's like you reach a point where the linear - ness is basically gone.

I put the EBC yellows on awhile back. Can't say I'm impressed. I just wonder if I need better fluid or a larger master cylinder, or different brake set? It's unnerving
when you push the brakes hard and there's nothing really there after a certain point.

In contrast, I own a Cayman R and the GP brakes are more grabby and would be better than the Cayman if I didn't run into the above sometimes. The Cayman brakes feel mushy and you really have to push hard, but it basically does delivers.

I wonder if this is partly related to the GP master cylinder, which is different from the master cylinder on every other mini.

I have run the GP2 on the street and track both completely stock and also with pagid RS29 pads and uprated fluid and braided lines. Both combinations had a very hard pedal feel, which lacks some modulation. It sure does stop well, but not much feel.

Interestingly I have put a set of GP calipers on my JCW racecar, and have retained the stock JCW master cylinder. This combination has a much more progressive feel and modulation.

BTW, this is entirely down to driver preference to some degree. I actually like a quite soft pedal with reasonable travel, but one that does bite if you stomp it hard. Other racers demand a rock hard pedal feel

Last edited by robbo mcs; 03-02-2014 at 12:17 AM.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:55 AM
kk moto
1st Gear
Originally Posted by robbo mcs
I wonder if this is partly related to the GP master cylinder, which is different from the master cylinder on every other mini.

I have run the GP2 on the street and track both completely stock and also with pagid RS29 pads and uprated fluid and braided lines. Both combinations had a very hard pedal feel, which lacks some modulation. It sure does stop well, but not much feel.

Interestingly I have put a set of GP calipers on my JCW racecar, and have retained the stock JCW master cylinder. This combination has a much more progressive feel and modulation.

BTW, this is entirely down to driver preference to some degree. I actually like a quite soft pedal with reasonable travel, but one that does bite if you stomp it hard. Other racers demand a rock hard pedal feel
Thanks for your input. Do you think the upgraded brake lines are worth it?
Any brake pad recommendations for heavy/aggressive street/lite track?
Just wondering what the next step would be.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:39 AM
robbo mcs
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by kk moto
Thanks for your input. Do you think the upgraded brake lines are worth it?
Any brake pad recommendations for heavy/aggressive street/lite track?
Just wondering what the next step would be.
I am not a big fan of braided lines for street driving. They are actually more prone to damage from rocks, weather conditions etc. They really should be inspected regularily and changed every year, compared to stock lines which are good for life. So unless you feel your brake pedal is going spongy because of expansion of brake lines, which is extremely unlikely on the street, then probably not.

Carbotech have a whole range of compounds for the 135 front, which fit the GP caliper, part numer CT1371. Something like the XP8 compound might be good for what you describe. http://www.ctbrakes.com/

Old 03-17-2014, 05:05 AM
signcarver
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
An interesting article about braided vs. normal brake lines - http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=2679

Old 07-20-2014, 01:04 PM
kk moto
1st Gear
Anyone have experience with the Carbotech AX6 or the Hawk HPS brake pads?
Which is better for good braking for mainly street driving? I live in AZ so cold temps are really not a problem. Dust and noise doesn't really bother me too much either. I'm leaning towards Carbotech #1371 AX6 pads.
Best place to buy these?
Thanks!