GP Rear Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 03:55 PM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
GP Rear Spoiler

Have any of the new owners taken a good look at their rear spoilers? How does it attach around the glass?

If someone could take a picture, or two or three, I'd really appreciate it.

Just want to see if it's possible to add one, but keep the current back glass on my JCW.

Lot's of info says you have to buy the kit with the back glass, but I've seen pictures of the early mules, and they've got rear wipers, etc.

Thanks

Old 04-09-2013, 05:43 PM
cct1
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There are two companies that make a GP style rear wing, neither of which require removal of the rear glass: Fubrication, and Orranje. I have the Orranje wing, and they recently started making them adjustable, it's a good piece, but the Fubrication wing looks great too.

If it's cosmetic, up slightly above the roof line looks best. If it's function, it needs to go slightly below--doesn't look as nice, but if you look at the wind tunnel video of the new GP, you can see why they lowered it about an inch.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:29 PM
MinMin2010
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The GP rear wing does require you to buy the glass. It has a proprietary mounting system that incorporates the mount with the glass. I had a really good look at it this morning after my MA mentioned it. Save yourself some money and buy the aftermarket ones. The OEM MINI GP wing will set you back $2K. I think Fubrucation has theirs for around $600.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:30 PM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Went by the dealer to take a look at the GP today. Very nice. Took a very good look at the spoiler, and it really doesn't look like I need to do the glass, too. I know that's what the MINI Genuine Parts UK website says, but it appears to be an easy swap. And, the spoiler really looks fantastic live. Very nice.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:01 PM
Airborne Ranger
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey KF.
I took a good look at it just now and took a few pics- doesnt appear to have any special glass at all with regards to the spoiler. The GP does have a different glass than a standard R56 because of the rear wiper delete... maybe that is where the GP specific glass hooplah comes from?
Name:  gpwing1_zps860590ce.jpg
Views: 4232
Size:  63.7 KB
It looks like the side uprights have a clamping system that has 2 torx bolts that pinch a "U" channel sleeve that secure them to the glass.

Name:  gpwing4_zps996f972d.jpg
Views: 3000
Size:  75.7 KB
I did notice that the top fascia is contoured to incorporate the rear spoiler- probably something that the aftermarket kits do not offer...

Name:  gpwing3_zps895f7817.jpg
Views: 2927
Size:  47.5 KB
hope this helps.
good luck.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:29 PM
willieboy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by kfmuller
Have any of the new owners taken a good look at their rear spoilers? How does it attach around the glass?

If someone could take a picture, or two or three, I'd really appreciate it.

Just want to see if it's possible to add one, but keep the current back glass on my JCW.

Lot's of info says you have to buy the kit with the back glass, but I've seen pictures of the early mules, and they've got rear wipers, etc.

Thanks
You are correct. You will need the glass and he spoiler. Good friend of mine just did it on his new JCW Hardtop.

GP1257.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:14 AM
Airborne Ranger
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by willieboy
You are correct. You will need the glass and he spoiler. Good friend of mine just did it on his new JCW Hardtop.

GP1257.
Originally Posted by MinMin2010
The GP rear wing does require you to buy the glass. It has a proprietary mounting system that incorporates the mount with the glass. I had a really good look at it this morning after my MA mentioned it. Save yourself some money and buy the aftermarket ones. The OEM MINI GP wing will set you back $2K. I think Fubrucation has theirs for around $600.

As I thought- this is untrue. I removed my spoiler to get the facts rather than rely on heresay.

The spoiler supports mount to the glass using a removable "C" channel bracket. The top secures to the roof just as a standard spoiler would mount- to the hatch using 5 10mm nuts.

Pictures are worth a thousand words so here we go:

removed these 4 torx nuts first- two per side:
Name:  spoiler12_zps9f2987f9.jpg
Views: 2990
Size:  46.7 KB

remove the rubber caps to get to the 10mm nuts

Name:  spoiler1_zps8e35ddb0.jpg
Views: 3194
Size:  78.4 KB
Name:  spoiler13_zpsde86a498.jpg
Views: 2903
Size:  74.3 KB

here it is off the car:

Name:  spoiler4_zps92f45d6e.jpg
Views: 3361
Size:  94.5 KB
Name:  spoiler3_zps0d42ab77.jpg
Views: 3110
Size:  97.4 KB

side/upright support brackets

Name:  spoiler6_zpsb1bcb87d.jpg
Views: 2980
Size:  44.1 KB
Name:  spoiler8_zpsd333df66.jpg
Views: 3288
Size:  39.3 KB

mini decal for reference:
Name:  spoiler2_zps038b3c54.jpg
Views: 2936
Size:  86.8 KB

hope this helps

Last edited by Airborne Ranger; 04-20-2013 at 09:35 AM. Reason: photos
The following users liked this post:
aabcds (09-13-2018)
Old 04-20-2013, 10:31 AM
andywong33
1st Gear
So which means the GP2 spoiler can be placed on a non GP mini without buying the rear glass, assuming if someone sells the spoiler and side brackets only.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:17 AM
Airborne Ranger
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by andywong33
So which means the GP2 spoiler can be placed on a non GP mini without buying the rear glass, assuming if someone sells the spoiler and side brackets only.
exactly

Old 04-20-2013, 04:08 PM
teamrodney
2nd Gear
I'm sure these people in the UK ( minigenuineparts.co.uk ) would be able to help if no one in the US can. I see they are offering the spoiler with the rear glass at a huge price, but the spoiler alone should be obtainable.

Still, I reckon Outmotoring could source it if requested.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:23 PM
kfmuller
4th Gear
I can get the rear spoiler from my dealer. The issue I have are the little metal flange things that are taped or glued on to the glass and part of that strip in the pictures above.

It's not special glass, but if MINI won't sell those things separately, then buying the rear glass maybe the only way to get them. I can't seem to find a part no. for those pieces. They are the ones in the 2nd and 3rd pictures from the end above.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:25 PM
willieboy
2nd Gear
Guess my bud bought more than he needed then. I won't tell him. No need to crap him out. I was going on what he did. Sorry I was mis-informed.

GP1257.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:33 PM
M'Cooper
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I do like the oem GP wing, it looks great! If this stands true that the rear glass is not needed I would like to get the oem one instead of the aftermarket ones.

Im hoping those 2 brackets for the side of the glass are available without the glass.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:47 AM
Rotherd31
2nd Gear
I had the JCW CF wing on my 2012 MCS and ended up selling it a while back. Just not happy with the look. It was a straight up install, exactly like the photos show the GP2 wing in this thread. When I saw the GP wing I was in love! Far be it for me to let a little money stand in the way of getting what I want for my car! Saw the red-stripe JCW R-113 wheels and bought them a year ago and mounted them up to Michelin SS's for my summer wheel/tire combo.

I should know the answers to some of these questions within a week or so. I ordered the GP2 wing last week from my dealer. Coming from Germany and should be stateside sometime this week and then has to be shipped to my home in Michigan. Part# 51627341933. I doubt it will come with the C-channel mounting brackets. I ordered up some 3M commercial 1/2 wide double sided tape for mounting automotive exterior trim pieces. My intent is to run a strip on either edge of the rear glass the same length as the C-channel to rest the supports onto. I don't see that attachment point as being critical to the install, as with speed, the wing would exert downward pressure to the supports pushing them tighter onto the back glass surface. I've also sourced a company in Michigan that makes plastic fill caps for many different sizes of access holes. Once I have the wing, I will measure the diameter of the support bolt holes and buy four caps that will pop into the empty holes. More to follow when I get the wing.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:27 AM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Rotherd31
I had the JCW CF wing on my 2012 MCS and ended up selling it a while back. Just not happy with the look. It was a straight up install, exactly like the photos show the GP2 wing in this thread. When I saw the GP wing I was in love! Far be it for me to let a little money stand in the way of getting what I want for my car! Saw the red-stripe JCW R-113 wheels and bought them a year ago and mounted them up to Michelin SS's for my summer wheel/tire combo.

I should know the answers to some of these questions within a week or so. I ordered the GP2 wing last week from my dealer. Coming from Germany and should be stateside sometime this week and then has to be shipped to my home in Michigan. Part# 51627341933. I doubt it will come with the C-channel mounting brackets. I ordered up some 3M commercial 1/2 wide double sided tape for mounting automotive exterior trim pieces. My intent is to run a strip on either edge of the rear glass the same length as the C-channel to rest the supports onto. I don't see that attachment point as being critical to the install, as with speed, the wing would exert downward pressure to the supports pushing them tighter onto the back glass surface. I've also sourced a company in Michigan that makes plastic fill caps for many different sizes of access holes. Once I have the wing, I will measure the diameter of the support bolt holes and buy four caps that will pop into the empty holes. More to follow when I get the wing.
That's great. Keep us updated. My dealer is ordering the rear spoiler for me tomorrow. It's in Germany, and I'll get an ETA next week on when it should get in. I like the double-sided tape idea. Figure we should be able to fashion something back there to mimic those metal flanges if we can't buy them separately from the glass. I want to keep my wiper.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:33 AM
Rotherd31
2nd Gear
That's great. Keep us updated. My dealer is ordering the rear spoiler for me tomorrow. It's in Germany, and I'll get an ETA next week on when it should get in. I like the double-sided tape idea. Figure we should be able to fashion something back there to mimic those metal flanges if we can't buy them separately from the glass. I want to keep my wiper.
Yep, keeping the rear wiper was also a priority with me too. My dealer said last week when I ordered, that there were eight in stock in Germany and that shipping time would be 10-14 days.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:43 AM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Keep us updated on your success at fashioning something for those flange things. I really don't want to buy the rear glass just to remove those things and put them on my rear glass.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:56 PM
Rotherd31
2nd Gear
Keep us updated on your success at fashioning something for those flange things. I really don't want to buy the rear glass just to remove those things and put them on my rear glass.
Yep, same with me. The Braminator is working on seeing if the mounting brackets are available without buying the rear glass. Keep your fingers crossed!

Old 04-21-2013, 09:07 PM
Mike@Tech Division
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Airborne Ranger
As I thought- this is untrue. I removed my spoiler to get the facts rather than rely on heresay.

The spoiler supports mount to the glass using a removable "C" channel bracket. The top secures to the roof just as a standard spoiler would mount- to the hatch using 5 10mm nuts.
This confirms what I was thinking based off some other pics I saw. The idea I've been toying with is making a mounting bracket that runs over the glass like the oem, but mounts to the inside of the hatch like the aftermarket spoilers. This would eliminate the need to even remove the glass at all and allow the use of the oem spoiler which I think looks much better then the aftermarket ones who's design is still based on the GP1.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:40 AM
Tweedbean
4th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts
If I was you I would save your money and go for an aftermarket one like the Orranje G-Wing, its probably not even a 1/4 of the cost of the genuine part, but looks just as good. They are also finishing off the work on an adjustable version too.

http://www.minitorque.com/forum/f754...260-p-p-29407/

Theres no need to change the rear glass, unlike some of the other replicas and the 1st gen original, their wing was designed to fit around the standard glass.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:45 AM
Rotherd31
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Mike@Tech Division
This confirms what I was thinking based off some other pics I saw. The idea I've been toying with is making a mounting bracket that runs over the glass like the oem, but mounts to the inside of the hatch like the aftermarket spoilers. This would eliminate the need to even remove the glass at all and allow the use of the oem spoiler which I think looks much better then the aftermarket ones who's design is still based on the GP1.
Hey Mike: Why not just duplicate the OE mounting bracket that slides over the edge of the glass? Unless I am missing something, I don't see the need to have it mount to the inside of the hatch. All it has to do is ride over the edge of the glass to allow the support bolts to go through the holes and thread to the support.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:50 AM
Tweedbean
4th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts
On the Orranje wing, you dont need to remove or change the glass.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:13 AM
Mike@Tech Division
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Rotherd31
Hey Mike: Why not just duplicate the OE mounting bracket that slides over the edge of the glass? Unless I am missing something, I don't see the need to have it mount to the inside of the hatch. All it has to do is ride over the edge of the glass to allow the support bolts to go through the holes and thread to the support.
It may be ok to mount it with an adhesive to the glass, but as precaution I would prefer not to.With the OEM bracket I am not sure how the load is transferred. It could be through the glass and it supports it just fine or it could be rigid enough to actually transfer it around the glass directly to the hatch. Since I dont know and the goal is to not buy glass I figured its just as easy to make a few more bends and mount to the hatch.

Originally Posted by Tweedbean
If I was you I would save your money and go for an aftermarket one like the Orranje G-Wing, its probably not even a 1/4 of the cost of the genuine part, but looks just as good. They are also finishing off the work on an adjustable version too.

Theres no need to change the rear glass, unlike some of the other replicas and the 1st gen original, their wing was designed to fit around the standard glass.
I've actually been considering this as my next alternative to OEM. It does look nice. My main reasons at least for wanting OEM is I like the look of the GP2 spoiler better then the aftermarket spoilers which seem to be modeled after the GP1 and IMO doesn't fit the R56 aesthetic as well. The other reason, and really the more important one, is the class I race in doesn't allow aftermarket aero. Although I may be able to get a replica past tech, I would rather just avoid any hassle and prevent my chances of a DQ.

Last edited by Mike@Tech Division; 04-22-2013 at 06:32 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:32 AM
M'Cooper
3rd Gear
If you guys don't mind me asking, what exactly is the price you have payed at the dealer for this wing?

Old 04-26-2013, 09:59 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by M'Cooper
If you guys don't mind me asking, what exactly is the price you have payed at the dealer for this wing?
I don't think anyone has ponied up for this wing just yet because of the mounting of the glass to the wing.

Quick Reply: GP Rear Spoiler