2013 mini gp

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 09:12 PM
Kurtster
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
The dealer has no pricing information or an order sheet. They took a deposit to guarantee me the first right of refusal once details become available. I believe they are assuming no options are available based not he previous model and the far that they were told there were no order options in recent meetings with corporate. To me that means if MINI decides to include some features I'll get them and if not, I won't. No details have been published about the interior and functions other than Recaro seats that I know of. They could be totally wrong, but everything they said sounded likely to me based on what I've heard about the previous GP.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:32 PM
azjustin1973
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Soul and personality

on the topic of soul...that's what really sets these cars apart. Can't get that and personality from Subaru and similar car makers! The competition is pretty boring in my opinion. Way to go MINI/BMW for keeping it fun....and recognizable at a glance!

Old 05-14-2012, 10:33 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I wonder if this one will be assembled in Italy like the R53 GP was?

Old 05-15-2012, 04:38 AM
THE ITCH
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Bertrone is now OOB. Not to say that MINI doesn't have something else up their sleeve.
Steve

Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
I wonder if this one will be assembled in Italy like the R53 GP was?

Old 05-15-2012, 08:03 AM
GP0256
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by InVisib0L
It's ok, I think it is a smarter financial move to buy one a few years gently used anyway and get a stellar deal on it. I do want one, don't get me wrong, but without my wife keeping me grounded, I would live in a mud but and be car poor

Old 05-16-2012, 12:41 PM
martinb
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Big graphics suck. Eliminate all graphics (or make them optional) and minimize badging. Everone knows it's a Mini, so why bother? And if you must, put the badging somewhere it can be easily removed without requiring hole filling and new paint. For instance, the stick on badging can be easily removed. Badges with pins requiring holes suck big time.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:57 PM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 200 Likes on 147 Posts
Concur with Martinb. Our MINI GP's are "stealth cars". Those in the know...know. Those who don't are clueless. MINI/BMW now goes the way of the rest by getting gaudy. They intend to turn "GP" into the MINI version of BMW "M"...which they've managed to run into the ground with overweight, bulbous techno-conveyances. Sadly, we're going to be inundated with "GP" branding.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:12 PM
niquemarshall
4th Gear
I think its pretty nice, aside from all the graphics... I guess this will be last year the Cooper has a 4 lug bolt pattern.. Next gen will be BMW 5 lug fitment

Old 05-16-2012, 05:44 PM
Kurtster
4th Gear
Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Concur with Martinb. Our MINI GP's are "stealth cars". Those in the know...know. Those who don't are clueless. MINI/BMW now goes the way of the rest by getting gaudy. They intend to turn "GP" into the MINI version of BMW "M"...which they've managed to run into the ground with overweight, bulbous techno-conveyances. Sadly, we're going to be inundated with "GP" branding.
If it bothers you that much, don't buy one. I had no idea the first GP even existed until about 6 months ago. Once I saw pics I was underwhelmed. My first thought was that I couldn't tell it was anything special and if I saw on on the street I'd think it was that color scheme because some MINI owner had poor taste and an obsession for a lighter gray with red trim.

I'll never understand the "no badging" thing at all. I like to have some pride in the brand so that it inspires others to look into owning one. At least the MINI is one of the most customizable cars in the world so if you want yours to have no badges and no decals so nobody knows what it is, go ahead. I think that would look weird but it's yours to water down with less detail as you see fit.

I loved Hot Wheels as a kid and this is new GP is about as close to a MINI Hot Wheels car in real life as I'll probably ever get. The only thing that could make it better would be if it had some chrome exterior trim and side pipe exhaust like an old Vette. :-)

Old 05-16-2012, 06:43 PM
martinb
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Badging and graphics are certainly a personal preference. I just look at badging and graphics as cluttering up an otherwise nice design. If it was a fugly car with weird lines, then maybe some graphics might help. But it's got nice lines. And the grahpics along the side of the GP prototype are practically screaming at me. They're almost as offensive as when some dealers drill a couple holes in your car and mount a badge with their dealer name on it. Tacky, to say the least.

When I had someone back into me, requiring a new hood and paint half way down the side of the car, I decided to de-badge and go as stealthy as I could. I had them fill the two holes in the new hood and left off the Mini emblem. (I mean, geez, who doesn't know it's a Mini??) Working my way back, I got rid of the chrome side scuttles with the red S and replaced them with plain Jane scuttles from the Justa, but I painted them to match the body color. I then bought a second set of door handles and peeled the chrome off them, gave them a light sanding, masked them for paint and gave them to the shop to paint and install. And then on the back, I had them remove the CooperS emblems as well. I would have had the rear Mini emblem removed as well, but that would have been more money as they weren't painting that end of the car.

I did leave the front and rear John Cooper Works emblems, though.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:04 PM
5zero4
4th Gear
Meh... I don't like the wheels, and the body in nothing new. They really needed to do something different. At least the first GP had side skirts that were totally different as well as front and rear bumper treatments. The rear wing is just the challenge wing. Its basically a challenge car with a paintjob and stickers. Yay...not. I liked my mock up better.

Name:  MiniGTP-FRont.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  70.3 KB

Name:  MiniCooperSGT-P1.jpg
Views: 973
Size:  66.0 KB

Name:  MiniInterior1.jpg
Views: 1173
Size:  62.9 KB

Name:  MiniInterior.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  66.0 KB

Old 05-16-2012, 07:14 PM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
To each his own, Kurtster. That's what makes the World go round. No, I won't buy one. I'll let those who just have to have "the latest and the greatest" spend their money. When BMW first came out with the Euro M5, it was hailed as the ultimate "Q-Ship", a stealth car for those who really don't care to show everyone that "you've arrived". I bought one and, subsequently, a few more U.S. spec e28 M5's. The R53 MINI GP is a very similar vehicle but, just as BMW strayed from their "less is more" strategy, MINI seems to be going down the same route, trying to be all things to all people with an ever-expanding product line. IMHO, it will eventually hurt them just like it did GM, who were finally forced to come to their senses and trimmed ship.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:03 PM
dajiggalo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Dave.0
It's a GP you do not get to choose any options that's the point of a special addition race car for the street. Only 2000 made and they will all be the same. Don't worry if you don't want one 100 people in line behind you will.
You don't need navi, mini cconnected, or a crap HK system on the track. Listen to the car, that's all the music you need. It's a track car and every little Minivan option is tossed out for weight savings. You don't need heated seats in a track car either.

As for me it is butt ugly late model R56 leftover parts car that will not have the soul of the original R53. All the stickers and colors make it look like a fake copy of the original.

Why buy the GP sequel for 40 K why you can still get then original GP that is better to look at and has a real soul. Remember its only original once.
Not to sound like a smart-***, BUT wasn't the R53 MINI based off of the Morris Mini??? When the R50/R53 came out, the original Mini owners/enthusiasts were bashing on it... "bloated, too big, doesn't have the soul of the original"... blah blah blah..... When the R56 came out, the R53/R56 owners did the exact same thing, "bloated, too big, doesn't have the soul of the 'original'"... blah blah blah.... I can't wait until the next generation comes out... I betcha it'll be same gripe, except from the R56 owners.
Now, going back to the R56 GP vs the R53GP. Each car will be have the quirks and advantages (and disadvantages) of its particular series. If I were looking at facts alone, the R56 GP is faster than the R53... more functional aero bits, etc, etc.... but the R53 doesn't have the electro steering which gives the R56 a more "diluted" feel I guess. I guess the R53 GP that much better because it was partially assembled (not designed!) by Bertone, which gives it that much more of a... uhhh... soul... but the (Darth Vader on wheels) Lamborghini Countach S (with its flares and wing) was thanks to a Canadian (Walter Wolf tacking on "race bits" to Gandini's work), the Diablo in its (less manly) released form was thanks to Tom Gale at Chrysler (smoothing out Gandini's "busy" original concept), and the (easier to drive) Murcielago was penned by Luc Donkerwolke (from Belgium)... does that make any of these cars less "soulful" or less "Italian"??? Hell, the Ferrari Enzo was designed by a Japanese man who worked for Pininfarina! If I'm not mistaken, the Ferrari F430 was penned by the same man who the drew up the R53. Maybe they weren't as "soulful" as their predecessors because they were more reliable, and had power steering.
Either way, to each his own. Life is a circle (and MINI owners are no different!)

Old 05-17-2012, 04:42 AM
Kurtster
4th Gear
Dave O.: I never said I didn't want one. I put my money down already so I think I've spoken with my cash. My MINI will never be on a "track" anywhere. Don't assume because MINI built the car to perform well in one environment, that only people who are in that environment will buy them. If they only want racers to buy them they shouldn't make them available to the public. I've been in music and audio business for over 20 years so yes, sound is important to me. If it doesn't come with an H/K system, I'll find the parts and put one in. If it doesn't come with Nav, I'll deal with it. I live in Boston where it can get to -15 sometimes. Yes, a cold weather package would be nice to heat my fat *** on days like that but I'll deal with it if it doesn't have it.

I'm kind of tired of hearing people ***** about this car, tell me it's only for the track or it's only for collectors. Balderdash. It's for anyone who likes it and, yes, even for those who want to drive one every day instead of parking it in a garage hoping it will increase in value.

5Zero4: That is a beautiful mock-up. Explain to Dave O why you chose to put a Nav system in a performance car.

Dajiggalo: Well said.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:13 AM
JackMac
6th Gear
Received 307 Likes on 221 Posts
Originally Posted by Monito Efervescente

Much cleaner, nice edits

Old 05-17-2012, 06:15 AM
Flynscot0256
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Gp

I like the GTP great looking concept

Old 05-17-2012, 03:42 PM
JackMac
6th Gear
The brake kit looks familiar...

Old 05-17-2012, 04:56 PM
dajiggalo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by JackMac
The brake kit looks familiar...

I believe its straight off of the BMW 1 series

Old 05-18-2012, 04:47 AM
THE ITCH
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
5zero4
I really like your mock up on the appearance items, especially the interior. Maybe you should consider being a MINI designer.
Steve

Originally Posted by 5zero4
Meh... I don't like the wheels, and the body in nothing new. They really needed to do something different. At least the first GP had side skirts that were totally different as well as front and rear bumper treatments. The rear wing is just the challenge wing. Its basically a challenge car with a paintjob and stickers. Yay...not. I liked my mock up better.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:14 AM
Flynscot0256
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
gp

Originally Posted by THE ITCH
5zero4
I really like your mock up on the appearance items, especially the interior. Maybe you should consider being a MINI designer.
Steve
Ditto X2

Old 05-18-2012, 06:12 AM
sbeezy
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about getting those bumpers made that's real suave.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:01 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I personally like how it looks...still like the 53 better of course, but dunno why everyone's knocking it so much.

As far as the graphics...they aren't that intense??

I spose you're the same folks that wouldn't buy a GT3RS because it has too many boy-racer "graphics"

Old 05-18-2012, 10:48 AM
JackMac
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dajiggalo
I believe its straight off of the BMW 1 series
Indeed they are!

Old 05-18-2012, 01:29 PM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
I personally like how it looks...still like the 53 better of course, but dunno why everyone's knocking it so much.

As far as the graphics...they aren't that intense??

I spose you're the same folks that wouldn't buy a GT3RS because it has too many boy-racer "graphics"
AFAIK, correct! Real Porsches are air-cooled!

Old 05-21-2012, 09:50 PM
azndrgnkid
1st Gear
It would be awesome if someone ultimately has the R53 GP and pulls the trigger on this new one. Can't wait to see a picture if that happens.

Quick Reply: 2013 mini gp