North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   GP Talk (2006) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/gp-talk-2006-169/)
-   -   GP Talk (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/gp-talk-2006/80084-gp-talk.html)

dave 09-25-2006 07:53 AM

GP Talk

In creating GP Talk today, I'm realizing just how badly this forum was probably needed for those of you with an interest in the GP, especially since "GP" is too short to use with the search function.

If you know of GP specific threads that aren't already in GP talk, post a link to them in this thread and I will get them moved over.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

GBMINI 09-25-2006 10:26 AM

Thanks ...
so far most of the chat has been on MINI2, for various reasons ...

Metal Man 09-25-2006 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 1148434)
In creating GP Talk today, I'm realizing just how badly this forum was probably needed for those of you with an interest in the GP, especially since "GP" is too short to use with the search function.

If you know of GP specific threads that aren't already in GP talk, post a link to them in this thread and I will get them moved over.

Thanks

DarkMiniCooperS 09-25-2006 03:58 PM

Good idea!!

I probably will never see a GP JCW but it will be fun to at least read about people's experiences with it!

MOTORN 09-25-2006 06:18 PM

Cool, Let's Motor:thumbsup:
Only took a year Dave!!! LOL

iflymini 09-26-2006 08:56 AM

Thanks for the forum!!!!

iflymini
GP1292:thumbsup:

lastrega 09-26-2006 09:03 AM

Great Idea !!

I have a question:

I am planning to autoX with my GP but want to save my wheels and I as consindering going with a smaller size tire. Suggestions? ideas?

Thanks,

GyPsy GP 0142

Jim Ray 09-26-2006 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by lastrega (Post 1150071)
Great Idea !!

I have a question:

I am planning to autoX with my GP but want to save my wheels and I as consindering going with a smaller size tire. Suggestions? ideas?

Thanks,

GyPsy GP 0142

Hi! You win for best GP name. I am jealous.

The problem is that there are no aftermarket bolts for the GP. The lug bolts are 14mm by 1.25.

I have put the V spoke 16" on mine, and they clear fine, but limit cooling. I don't track mine, so cooling is not an issue. Many wheels will fit, even some 15", however if they don't use the stock GP wheel lugs, no way to fit them. Alex at Tire Rack is working on the problem.

GP 0019

H.A.W.G. 11-19-2006 07:11 PM

I got see one when I picked up my cooper, it is an amazing car, I love the color and the wheels are amazing, yall are lucky bunch

simplekid15 01-23-2007 11:36 PM

Yes we are very lucky. :) I love my GP so much!!

IanF 02-06-2007 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by GBMINI (Post 1148615)
Thanks ...
so far most of the chat has been on MINI2, for various reasons ...

If only MINI2 would confirm my registration... after three attempts, I gave up and haven't been there in years... :sly:

GBMINI 02-06-2007 07:04 AM

Did you get a GP, Ian?!

cct1 02-06-2007 09:26 AM

This thread is in desperate need of photos...:D

ncapre 03-31-2007 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by dave (Post 1148434)

I have a John cooper works GP.I posted it for sale and had comments from club people that were unfavorable ,is a nice way to put it.If you able to look at the forum of the Minis for sale you can view what I have written it,it's more of a letter to our club members.I need some help with your suggestions if you can provide me with some insight which may be the best way to market this.I live in the southern california area ;this GP has 7 miles.If you can suggest the best avenue to approach the club members I would greatly appreciate it, or can refer to someone in the club who can help with the sale of this.e-mail... DAVANIE@gmail.com

PlayPlay 03-31-2007 04:26 AM

Question Re: GP Interiors...

I was looking at used GP's and I thought all GP dashes had a brushed silver finish. But, I saw one that had the JCW black leather dash with red stitching. Was that an option?

jimskater 03-31-2007 08:53 AM

JCW leather dash was not an option.

Here's the options list for US spec GP's:
  • 1._______________; no, not that
  • 2._______________; not that, either
  • 3._______________; nope
& finally
  • 4. ______________; sorry, no
Fill in the blanks with any MINI factory option, & you'll see the answer to the right.

:roll::wink::grin:

Jim Ray 04-01-2007 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by jimskater (Post 1451548)
JCW leather dash was not an option.

Here's the options list for US spec GP's:
  • 1._______________; no, not that
  • 2._______________; not that, either
  • 3._______________; nope
& finally
  • 4. ______________; sorry, no
Fill in the blanks with any MINI factory option, & you'll see the answer to the right.

:roll::wink::grin:

John Michael Cooper signing the dash? :thumbsup: :nod:

jimskater 04-01-2007 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Jim Ray (Post 1452479)
John Michael Cooper signing the dash? :thumbsup: :nod:

Well, that wasn't quite a factory option. But it's nice to have. :nod::thumbsup:

BobDogNdaHouse 11-14-2007 12:10 AM

This might be a stupid question but what does GP stand for?

GBMINI 11-14-2007 09:11 AM

GP is a reference to "Grand Prix" racing, the original MINIs were raced by John Cooper (where the "Cooper" name comes from), so the GP is a nod to the history of the MINI/Mini.

BobDogNdaHouse 11-15-2007 04:42 AM

Thanks that's what I would have guessed but there are so many acronyms in the MINI community, I'm trying to get them all straight. :)

tazio 11-15-2007 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by GBMINI (Post 1863144)
GP is a reference to "Grand Prix" racing, the original MINIs were raced by John Cooper (where the "Cooper" name comes from), so the GP is a nod to the history of the MINI/Mini.

But Minis were never raced in any "Grand Prix" events... And, for the record, John Cooper never raced Minis. He tuned them.

I'm still trying to figure out this naming choice. I hold out hope that there was something rational and substantive behind it, but so far I have not heard a reasonable explanation. Like the rest of the "GP", it may just be the product of half-baked marketing.

MOTORN 11-15-2007 05:20 AM

MINI GP

From 1958 to 1967 Cooper cars were raced in Formula 1 by John Cooper and his Dad. The Coopers were not the drivers but the constructors. Around 1960-
1961 John Cooper became involved with the Mini. GP is in reference to the Cooper Car Company and its involvement in F1.

Cooper Grand Prix Victories (You might remember a few of the drivers names) LOL

Year Country (Track) Driver Date

1958 Argentine Grand Prix (Buenos Aires) Stirling Moss January 19
Monaco Grand Prix (Monte Carlo) Maurice Trintignant May 18
1959 Monaco Grand Prix (Monte Carlo) Jack Brabham May 10
British Grand Prix (Aintree) Jack Brabham July 18
Portuguese Grand Prix (Monsanto) Stirling Moss August 23
Italian Grand Prix (Monza) Stirling Moss September 13
United States Grand Prix (Sebring) Bruce McLaren December 12
1960 Argentine Grand Prix (Buenos Aires) Bruce McLaren February 7
Dutch Grand Prix (Zandvoort) Jack Brabham June 6
Belgian Grand Prix (Spa-Francorchamps) Jack Brabham June 19
French Grand Prix (Reims) Jack Brabham July 3
British Grand Prix (Silverstone) Jack Brabham July 16
Portuguese Grand Prix (Porto) Jack Brabham August 14
1962 Monaco Grand Prix (Monte Carlo) Bruce McLaren June 3
1966 Mexican Grand Prix (Mexico City) John Surtees October 23
1967 South African Grand Prix (Kyalami) Pedro Rodríguez January 2

lastrega 11-15-2007 05:34 AM

But Minis were never raced in any "Grand Prix" events... And, for the record, John Cooper never raced Minis. He tuned them.
Correct .. but not too many people know the difference between the Monte Carlo Grand Prix and the Monte Carlo Rally where in 1964, 1965 1967 MINI won. There was a victory in 1966 too, if it were for the silly headlamp argument !!!

GP, I was told by MINI GERMANY officials @ the MISANO MINI GP presentation , was just a marketing pitch !!

MOTORN 11-15-2007 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by lastrega (Post 1864936)
GP, I was told by MINI GERMANY officials @ the MISANO MINI GP presentation , was just a marketing pitch !!

What do they know? Give me a badge and I'm an offical too. "we don't need no stinking badges" They were not aware of the ties either.:lol: