GP Talk (2006) Discussion of the limited edition, MINI Cooper S (R53)-based, John Cooper Works GP.

<sigh> New Problem

Old 02-24-2019, 04:48 PM
scubus
4th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts
<sigh> New Problem

So I ran over a tire carcass today. Destroyed the spoiler. Before I spend money on a new one, are there any interesting aftermarket alternatives to the stock front spoiler?

Old 02-24-2019, 05:35 PM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Received 736 Likes on 521 Posts

Very sad to hear.

You are a very good steward of this GP and I'm glad you didn't sell it as I've enjoyed reading your posts about bringing it back up to full glory.

If I were you, it would have to be a GP replacement as nothing else would quite do the trick.

Did the entire front get destroyed or only a portion of it?

My local dealer has it priced out pretty fair as far as these things go:
https://parts.miniofkennesaw.com/sho...uct=1309903#01

There are other options out there of course, but a GP is a GP and looks best as such in my opinion.

ECS will soon have an aero front as some of us regular R53 guys have been searching for since they're no longer available:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...o-bodykit.html

...but the GP front is still available so I'd take advantage and replace it with factory parts if I were you.

The following users liked this post:
scubus (02-24-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 05:41 PM
scubus
4th Gear
Thanks. ECS Tuning has the kit here https://www.outmotoring.com/gp-front-bumper-gen1.html and I will probably go with that. I want to keep it stock for the most part, I was thinking maybe a little carbon fiber in the same style. Of course, considering today's event maybe carbon fiber is a bad idea

My biggest concern by far is getting an exact paint match. After 13 years, I have to think the paint has faded in the Florida sun. Even if it has been minimal, a perfect match will be tricky.

The only good thing out of this is that the screw holes in the the bumper for an unnecessary license plate will be gone and the vents will be back to pure silver. Gotta look on the bright side...

Last edited by scubus; 02-24-2019 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:07 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Yep, working on some options and some more body kit companies, We have the GP bumper kit here:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-bumper-2.html

On the paint match a good body shop can blend and match the fade.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
mhoffmandc (05-08-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 02:32 AM
scubus
4th Gear
Would it be worth adding this as I do the repairs?

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-rennline...plate/u01~rel/

Old 02-26-2019, 05:56 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yep, for protection. You will be up there anyway.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-02-2019, 10:51 AM
scubus
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Yep, for protection. You will be up there anyway.
Does this replace the plastic splash shield?

Old 03-02-2019, 10:57 AM
scubus
4th Gear
I have an appointment with arguably the best body shop on the Treasure Coast on March 11th to get Chupi repaired!

I am going to have the hood redone at the same time - they will strip to bare metal, use primer and then respray the hood. The clear is peeling and as much as I don't really want to paint it, since it is in the shop I am going to go for it. I will also get a new bumper cover so no license plate holes! Although they aren't damaged, they are going to replace the vents since I want them returned to Pure Silver and they feel the parts are cheap enough to get new ones and assure a perfect finish.

Other body shops suggested gluing the bumper cover back together etc. to save money. Not for me and I was sold on the shop when they refused to repair the parts in that way - they only use new OEM parts. Probably overkill, but it appeals to my OCD nature in regards to all of my cars, and especially this one!

Anything else the experts here suggest doing while it is in the body shop - anything to help protect the new spoiler etc.?

Last edited by scubus; 03-02-2019 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:12 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Just PM you back.

Old 03-16-2019, 12:50 PM
scubus
4th Gear
Still waiting for the GP to get finished. Some of the parts were a little tough to get, and the body shop ordered the wrong parts initially. It also needs a new A/C condenser and radiator support that we didn't see in the initial estimate.

I really don't understand why people do a half-assed job sometimes. The previous owner also hit debris on the highway (I have the receipts) and the bumper cover was "patched" back together and tabs were left broken, and they never replaced the broken radiator support. I know it wasn't broken when I hit the tire because someone had zipped tied everything in place.

So after it was taken apart I had them order all new OEM parts and they will be replacing everything. I told them I am no hurry - but I really am - because I didn't want the job rushed at all. With this shop's reputation I doubt that would happen, but why tempt them? At least EVERYTHING will be repaired properly.

But I can't wait to get it back...

Old 03-22-2019, 06:43 AM
scubus
4th Gear
Oh boy, the body shop is having trouble getting the bumper cover for the GP. They are working with Mini who says there is only 1 in the United States right now. I am pretty sure I could get the cover from ECS Tuning or one of the other vendors. I am delighted they are firm on using only OEM parts but I am really starting to have GP withdraw.

Old 03-22-2019, 01:28 PM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Keep the faith!

It'll all pan out in the end.

Sorry to hear of the hardships, but hopefully the rewards will be great.

I'm going to do a rear seat delete on my 06 and since the factory GP parts for that are long gone, I'm going to use GP2 parts. I already had the grey foam bit, but then decided I wanted to try to fit the carpeted cover as well, so I went ahead and ordered it after much flip-flopping on the idea...

...anyway,
it took 6 weeks for that part and its ancillaries (brackets/latches) to show up because MINI NA didn't have any in stock and it had to come over from Germany.
Fortunately I'm in no rush so it was no probbo for me, but I can imagine it'd be frustrating if the parts were needed in a more timely manner.

I dunno what I'm trying to say really, but just wanting to post and perhaps add some words of encouragement.

Old 03-22-2019, 02:05 PM
scubus
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Oldboy Speedwell
Keep the faith!

It'll all pan out in the end.

Sorry to hear of the hardships, but hopefully the rewards will be great.

I'm going to do a rear seat delete on my 06 and since the factory GP parts for that are long gone, I'm going to use GP2 parts. I already had the grey foam bit, but then decided I wanted to try to fit the carpeted cover as well, so I went ahead and ordered it after much flip-flopping on the idea...

...anyway,
it took 6 weeks for that part and its ancillaries (brackets/latches) to show up because MINI NA didn't have any in stock and it had to come over from Germany.
Fortunately I'm in no rush so it was no probbo for me, but I can imagine it'd be frustrating if the parts were needed in a more timely manner.

I dunno what I'm trying to say really, but just wanting to post and perhaps add some words of encouragement.
Well, that's what I'm hoping doesn't happen, but fortunately I have another car for everyday! Part of the problem is I insisted on OEM parts (although that is all this body shop will use anyway) but I suspect there really aren't too many aftermarket sources for the bumper anyway.

Did you do the rear seat delete yet? I'd like to see that. If you do need interesting bits there is a place here in Florida that usually has good GP parts from totaled GPs. Almost never any front end parts though...

Old 03-22-2019, 04:24 PM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Allmag?

They got the goodstuff no doubt.

As for my rsd,
no not yet --- just around the corner though and I'll be posting up some pix most likely.

Quite a many R53 owners have done it, but I've never seen one with the factory cover installed.
Most are without,
like this:

&lt;sigh&gt; New Problem-h3lv32u.jpg

It requires a bit of trimming to fit the foam bit in an R53 and it may be a pain if the cover doesn't fit and requires trimming. We'll see though. It's why I flip-flopped. Because it's pricey for an unknown thing, but I was determined to find out. LOL

My original plan was to use the Orranje GP replica rear side panels:
https://orranje.co.uk/shop-by-brand/...nterior-panels

But I think they'd be too wide in this case with the GP2 thingy.

Old 03-22-2019, 06:48 PM
scubus
4th Gear
Allmag?

They got the goodstuff no doubt.

As for my rsd,
no not yet --- just around the corner though and I'll be posting up some pix most likely.

Quite a many R53 owners have done it, but I've never seen one with the factory cover installed.
Most are without,
like this:

It requires a bit of trimming to fit the foam bit in an R53 and it may be a pain if the cover doesn't fit and requires trimming. We'll see though. It's why I flip-flopped. Because it's pricey for an unknown thing, but I was determined to find out. LOL

My original plan was to use the Orranje GP replica rear side panels:
https://orranje.co.uk/shop-by-brand/...nterior-panels

But I think they'd be too wide in this case with the GP2 thingy.
Yup, definitely looks better with the cover. Interested to see if the parts fit.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:07 AM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 200 Likes on 147 Posts
The main problem with GP1 parts availability was that when the GP1 first came out, all the Brits wanted to GP-ize or clone their MINI's and have continued to do so until now, we're faced with parts un-availability. MINI should've done what ALPINA does: You must provide proof of ownership before they'll sell you an ALPINA part.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:22 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
The main problem with GP1 parts availability was that when the GP1 first came out, all the Brits wanted to GP-ize or clone their MINI's and have continued to do so until now, we're faced with parts un-availability. MINI should've done what ALPINA does: You must provide proof of ownership before they'll sell you an ALPINA part.
I've read that they did do that with the GP1, and in some cases even required pix of the broken parts:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3672399

But apparently at some point they slacked up on that strict policy. It was extremely simple for me to order the GP2 parts from my local dealer. The problem I think with GP1 parts is the same problem with many R53 JCW parts, they simply discontinued them too early, or in some cases jacked up the price to an astronomical level as is the case with the GP intercooler for example.

Old 03-24-2019, 05:30 PM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 200 Likes on 147 Posts
FWIW, a few years back, I used to frequent the GB GP Forum and they constantly complained about MINI selling GP parts to cloners. All it took was a "pliable" bloke at the parts counter.

Old 03-25-2019, 04:25 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
FWIW, a few years back, I used to frequent the GB GP Forum and they constantly complained about MINI selling GP parts to cloners. All it took was a "pliable" bloke at the parts counter.
Ah!
Thanks for that tidbit, I was unaware of that info.

I think you're correct about the pliable bloke and it made me wonder if that was also the case in other markets as well as the UK...

...I went searching for allotment numbers because I've never really dug too deeply into GP history and it was great fun this morning bouncing around.

I especially enjoyed the gpmini wordpress blog where you could go back in time with the archives, plus tons of great images still preserved.

Also,
finally found a digital edition of the GP brochure. I like to collect R53 literature and had recently seen a copy of the UK brochure sell for $69 which was beyond my budget for such a thing so I tried to find an online copy just to see it, but had no luck with the search, so I was glad to see it this morning on that blog! It differs from the rest-of-world editions in that the Recaro seats are absent.

https://gpmini.wordpress.com/2006/05/27/the_gp_booklet/

scubus (03-26-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 06:10 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Forgot to add earlier:
while browsing gpmini wordpress came across a link back to NAM referencing a post about the OE LSD which was an interesting read,
here:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-from-gnk.html

Also,
while still bouncing around this morning I got sidetracked into searching for a rev-counter cowl which may possibly fit an R53, just one of those things that popped in my head that I think may be a good idea and investigate possibilities, but then usually change my mind about or just forget LOL (but I did actually get a Vitaloni Sebring mirror that I'll be test fitting soon!).

Anyway,
saw an old Smith's intrument from the GP line where the dial looked quite similar to the GP1:

Name:  WNJlAVV.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  39.1 KB

scubus (03-30-2019)
Old 03-30-2019, 05:51 PM
scubus
4th Gear
My parts are finally in the shop! Hopefully I'll have the GP back shortly.

Old 03-30-2019, 06:33 PM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear

Good deal!

And don't forget,
we expect pictures when you get it back!

Old 03-30-2019, 07:41 PM
scubus
4th Gear

Good deal!

And don't forget,
we expect pictures when you get it back!
I'll take plenty of pics - I don't need an excuse to post pics of Chupi.

Debating whether or not I can swing having the hood resprayed at the same time. It is a tiny bit sun checked but I am pretty OCD about my cars.

Old 04-01-2019, 05:59 PM
scubus
4th Gear
Getting closer... it was inside the shop today. All the parts are on hand and the bumper is being painted. Soon....

Old 04-03-2019, 05:23 PM
scubus
4th Gear
Not quite finished, but I got a look at the front end - it looks amazing. I didn't realize how misaligned the bumper was before. Everything is brand new now.

Waiting for them to finish the rear bumper (I had a little "extra" work done while it was in the shop) and then the A/C will be recharged and out the door she goes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: <sigh> New Problem