GP Talk (2006) Discussion of the limited edition, MINI Cooper S (R53)-based, John Cooper Works GP.

Resonator Delete on a GP

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 08:57 PM
el chupacabra
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Resonator Delete on a GP

Anyone have the resonator delete done on your GP? I would like to do this and so anyone have any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:29 AM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I did it on my GP and did not like the result. I thought the exhaust was too snappy (snap/crackle/pop) on deacceleration. I love the normal exhaust pop on deacceleration but without the resonator it creates more of a higher frequency snap than a pop. Sounded more like some of the WRC rallye car exhausts.

I then tried a Borla Sport (Race) exhaust that I had from a previous Mini Cooper. It was a little too loud for the GP with no rear seat and little insulation. Great overall sound but had a bad drone on the highway.

I ended up with the Milltek exhaust. A little louded than the JCW but not too loud with no highway drone. I sometimes wish for the great sound of the Borla but it was just a little too loud for the GP.

You can always do the resonator delete and if you do not like it swap back to the resonator and sell the delete pipe.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:58 AM
el chupacabra
1st Gear
Thanx quik its just I've heard people doing it and have never asked. I dont want it to sound like a ricer either no disrespect there to anyone. Ok well thanx for the advice Im gonna look on youtube for some sounds on those exhausts that you've mentioned.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:23 AM
quikmni
6th Gear
For reference the Stratmosphere is basically the same as the Milltek but a little less expensive.
Here is a link to two pages of different exhausts from WMW. Stratmosphere is on second page:
http://www.waymotorworks.com/02-06-c...mance/exhaust/

Old 09-27-2011, 08:48 AM
AXO
5th Gear
I removed my second cat and resonator on my S. There was no difference in exhaust note when just cruising around town, but when you steped on the gas pedal you will definitely notice a much deeper Growl. There is some cool snap and pop on decel which I like.

After having this mod for about 3 weeks the kid in me wanted a meaner louder sounding exhaust. I finally went with a 3" custom made Magnaflow system from the down pipe back. I love it, some will say it is to loud, but I get pure enjoyment driving it.

I would remove the resonator and see if you like it. It is a easy inexpensive mod that is easily reversed if you don't like it.

AXO

Old 09-27-2011, 08:58 AM
quikmni
6th Gear
Remember that the 2006 R53 MCS is much different than the 2007+ R56 turbos from an exhaust standpoint.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:32 AM
teeots
1st Gear
I just did the resonator delete along with a high flow cat and agree with quick mini. Too much banging and popping. I like it when cruising and don't mind the sound when accelerating but the popping used to have a more tuned sound. Now it sounds like a car with an exhaustproblem or engine problem when lifting off the throttle.

Anyone know if a custom tune can eliminate all this extra fueling at lift off?

Old 09-28-2011, 12:49 AM
JT///MC
3rd Gear
You undid the tuning by taking off the resonator. If I were you I'd just put it back on. Think about it, they started out without the resonator and said what you're saying now, oh dang, it sounds like **** and its too loud. Then they had their sound/exhaust engineer guy design, test, and fine tune this resonator to make it not drone and sound great at WOT. Sometimes I think we modders tend to mod for the sake of modding and actually end up undoing great engineering.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:39 AM
teeots
1st Gear
Yes. I agree.

I left the car with the guys at the exhaust shop with the flex coupling/ donut gasket and a closeup detail photo from a fellow nam'er. Their mission was to install the flex joint between the cat and header if possible, or to put a flex joint just behind the cat. The next day I went back, paid for the job and I found the donut gasket parts still in the car with the photo. I went back in and asked what they did for a flex joint. "We put a flex joint behind the cat" Oh OK. then another guy chimed in and said "We had to eliminate the resonator to do it." I was pretty surprised that they took the liberty to do that. That is another story. My plans for the car include an aftermarket cat back which will include a resonator of course.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:48 AM
Professor
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you dont like the noise level with a JCW exhaust and no resonator. You will hate an aftermarket one.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:54 AM
quikmni
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Professor
If you dont like the noise level with a JCW exhaust and no resonator. You will hate an aftermarket one.
I have to disagree. In my opinion the stock JCW exhaust is too quiet. With the resonator removed it has a little too much snap/crackle on the deacceleration pop. The Milltek/Stratmosphere exhaust is a little louder than the stock JCW but does use a resonator to keep the tone at a nice frequency. I think the Milltek is still a little too quiet but is a good compromise.

However, I do agree that some aftermarket exhausts are just a little too loud for the GP. As I found out when I installed the Borla exhaust.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:00 AM
teeots
1st Gear
thanks for the input guys. I do think the absence of the resonator is responsible for the sounds I dont like. All of the aftermarket systems I have looked at incorporate a resonator.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:34 PM
JT///MC
3rd Gear
Any droning after removal of the resonator? Thinking about trying out this mod for fun and/or switching to the Ireland Engineering Exhaust system. Anyone run that?

Old 10-17-2012, 07:18 AM
quikmni
6th Gear
I do not remember any droning with the resonator removed.

The IE exhaust is inexpensive but one thing I have seen on cars with the IE exhaust, that I did not like, is that most of the exhaust flows through one of the two exhaust tips so one tip is usually clean and one dirty.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:33 AM
JT///MC
3rd Gear
Ok cool, I might try this route first and if I don't like it then I'll check out the IE setup. They're local so maybe they have one on a car I can listen to. I just want a bit louder sound. Will probably do the flapectomy too.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:01 PM
ColinGreene
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I can do your flapectomy but your best bet would be to take the crush out of the rear exhaust
or come listen to Thumper Gp's car...

Old 10-19-2012, 03:01 PM
JT///MC
3rd Gear
Did Thumper remove the crush and the resonator too?

Old 10-19-2012, 06:20 PM
ColinGreene
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
He put a Short header with a V band and my exhaust guy removed the crush.
seriously sounds awesome.
The crush is a huge part of it
the resonator stays in place.
it wont make the whoooshing noise but you will hear more exhaust, and i think thats what your after.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:34 PM
JT///MC
3rd Gear
yeah, I'm looking to get a slightly more aggressive exhaust note without the drone, etc.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:37 PM
JT///MC
3rd Gear
Ok, removed the crush section today and took it for a spin and it just wasn't loud or aggressive enough for me even the sound was noticeably better than before. So I went ahead and removed the resonator and that was just right lol. I guess I'll have to deletemy previous post lol. The snap/crackle/pop is louder but not nastier as others have posted. I wonder if this has something to do with the crush section. Overall that was the best $80 spent on the GP thus far hahah

Old 11-27-2012, 10:03 AM
pbraun
5th Gear
Resonator removed and crush eliminated

Much better!