GP Talk (2006) Discussion of the limited edition, MINI Cooper S (R53)-based, John Cooper Works GP.

Why are GP owners selling....

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 12:24 PM
Jaque_Mate
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why are GP owners selling....

Why are GP owners selling at around 32,000 miles? is there something wrong at around this time or is it a major service needed at this time?

Just curious.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:58 PM
minimize07
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaque_Mate
Why are GP owners selling at around 32,000 miles? is there something wrong at around this time or is it a major service needed at this time?

Just curious.
It's a very sought after car and that being a lower mileage brings the $$$$.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:35 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Many bought them up like some people do gold.......some are bailing now for economic reasons, and some just because they are board.

And some just because they think the end of the world is coming in 2012.....

Old 06-23-2011, 06:30 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Their wives are making them

Old 06-23-2011, 07:22 PM
GP0256
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually, one reason is that it will be harder to get a 5 or 6 year loan on the cars going into 2012. As the cars get older, Banks are more and more reluctant to lend on them. Also, people are thinking the new GP might come out with the addition of the Coupe. The car is also losing value year after year. I am sure it is a combination of things. These R53's are good to 100k easily with NO problems, and 150k with a few minor issues and parts that wear out on all cars. My R53 has been in the shop far less then my R56 and if I had it to do all over again, I would have waited and bought a GP car.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:02 AM
ngweibing
6th Gear
i would buy one

Old 06-24-2011, 08:09 AM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Most people bought their GPs new in 2006 and they have had them for 5 years old. That is longer than most people keep a car. It is just time for people to be looking for a different new car.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:03 PM
iflymini
4th Gear
Not that many are changing hands......Out of the 415 delivered to the USA it seems only about 5% are or have changed hands. that being said I am selling my GP1292 ( https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-for-sale.html ) because its time for me to move back into a bigger car (perhaps another BMW). My clients love to ride in my GP (one at a time) but in reality I need more space etc.

There are no major issues with the GP's!!

The GP is the best MINI I have ever owned. No major issues, its always dependable, the mgp is great (as long as I keep my footsie out of it) and it gets attention everywhere it is. Whether you by a GP that has five miles or 47k on it....its gonna make you smile everytime you fire it up. Oh...and that whine from the Supercharger and the gloating from the exhaust are simply exhilerating! The best memory was in 2007 when I was on the Dragon kickin it and came upon a Lotus Elise...after a mile of him trying to lose me he finally pulled over.....I have it on video...

Buy a GP.........buy mine!!

Old 06-24-2011, 01:11 PM
Jaque_Mate
4th Gear
hhahaha, I'd have to get better at driving a manual first.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:40 AM
It Works
6th Gear
I'm NEVER selling mine! It has given nothing but grins & giggles, and there is definitely nothing wrong with it.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:44 AM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
I would have to say it is the economy, lay-offs, furloughs, etc. The other is that the warranty ending. And it is not a really practical car being a 2 seater with stiff suspension, most wives would want a softer 4 seater.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:29 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
That, and a premium small car like the GP was often bought by very well off folks as a toy....now it is not the latest and greatest.....that and the warrenty (different on the GP) is ending/over. For some folks, accostomed to buying a new car yearly, this is a scarey propostion....
IMO it is a false sense of economy....heck less yearly depreation on paper, no car payments in most cases.....but the prospect of a $1500 repair scares many....even though it is only 3 months of car payments not getting made (I really hope a 5+ year old car is free and clear)...driving a slightly older car is a big $$ saver....the GP was often the lowest mile latest greatest r53 around, abet lightly optioned, and having a bit less sound proofing (to save weight).
some bought them hoping for a $$ in value...but cars tend to take decades to go up in value....and then be the nostolgic cars....not often even the limited edition cars, so "investing " in a GP was likely about as smart ad buying beanie babies and baseball cars for retirement (more fun imo yes...).

Old 07-09-2011, 11:30 PM
iflymini
4th Gear

I bought my GP to drive; not garage....and I'm NOT well off. No one that bought the GP did so as an investment any more than anyone buys a MINI....as far as resale value for MINI's...it's very good and better than a majority of cars out there as everyone knows. Until you drive a GP you can't very well compare it to something else. For what it was....and what it is....its cool and right for the epic few who have one (or want one).

Old 07-13-2011, 02:11 AM
flatlander_48
5th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by howsoonisnow1985
I would have to say it is the economy, lay-offs, furloughs, etc. The other is that the warranty ending. And it is not a really practical car being a 2 seater with stiff suspension, most wives would want a softer 4 seater.
Yes, I think that at some point the New wears off and you're left with the reality of living with the car (2 seats, a bit noisy, a bit stiff, etc). For some, the balance shifts and it's time to sell...

Old 07-15-2011, 09:47 AM
lowb35
2nd Gear
If I didn't just quit my job to finish grad school I'd buy one. And I'm the wife. Hubby is happy with his Jetta TDI that gets a gazillion miles a gallon. . I've only had 2 major repairs on my early build MCS (AC and of course the PS like everyone else) and still would get a late build 1st gen JCW or GP any day over the later gen MINIs. I can't imagine their suspensions being any stiffer than mine bc the early build MCSs had the SS+ standard. I feel every single bump and here in Louisiana there are a lot of them... we have the worst roads in the US.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:40 PM
JumpingJackFlash
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
+1 to all reasons stated here.

Two comments on warranty/loans. First, you can get a 5/60K extended warranty through the dealership, but it runs like $4K. If this were an R56, it would be half that price. Good thing is it starts the day you but it, so that pushes it out to 10/110K when you do that math (if your GP has 50K miles). Second, I have my current loan through the dealership I bought my current '06 MCS. They beat my credit union on the interest rate, and I had the option of doing 5 or 6 years.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:46 PM
iwantoneofthose
1st Gear
Location: formerly a grass shack in Hawaii, now N. Phoenix, AZ
Originally Posted by It Works
I'm NEVER selling mine! It has given nothing but grins & giggles, and there is definitely nothing wrong with it.
same here. and hopefully when the current one is paid off, there will still be some left in the market so we can buy another one

Old 08-01-2011, 07:06 PM
It Works
6th Gear
Originally Posted by iwantoneofthose
same here. and hopefully when the current one is paid off, there will still be some left in the market so we can buy another one
Keep in touch...I'm in Phoenix & we have 2 GPs in the family. I won't sell mine, but the other one may be up for sale one day.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:30 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
That, and a premium small car like the GP was often bought by very well off folks as a toy....now it is not the latest and greatest.....that and the warrenty (different on the GP) is ending/over. For some folks, accostomed to buying a new car yearly, this is a scarey propostion....
IMO it is a false sense of economy....heck less yearly depreation on paper, no car payments in most cases.....but the prospect of a $1500 repair scares many....even though it is only 3 months of car payments not getting made (I really hope a 5+ year old car is free and clear)...driving a slightly older car is a big $$ saver....the GP was often the lowest mile latest greatest r53 around, abet lightly optioned, and having a bit less sound proofing (to save weight).
some bought them hoping for a $$ in value...but cars tend to take decades to go up in value....and then be the nostolgic cars....not often even the limited edition cars, so "investing " in a GP was likely about as smart ad buying beanie babies and baseball cars for retirement (more fun imo yes...).
You hit the nail on the head as far as my personal experience goes . We were exhibiting at Laguna Seca duringthe Montery Historics when they delivered the first 50 GP's . Our booth was next to Dinan's and after the event we both came to the same conclusion which was that with the exception of 2 new owners we had never seen a larger group of non performance enthusiasts in one place . The average age may have been in the 50's and well heeled as they say. . Most were talking about the cute mirrors and sexy wheels . Many were owners of bigger BMW's seven series etc. and wanted something fun to " zip " around in and the most unigue that their dealer could provide at the time . Not a one had heard of NAM or forums as such and for the most part were not really into the World Wide Web . We were asked for hats, tee shirts , driving gloves or anything with Mini on them which we were not able to help them out with. Nothing wrong with that but far from what we were expecting . I tend to think that may be why in the western states there is a larger turn over of the GP's . We have a few three owner GP's in the local area / club.

Randy

Old 08-01-2011, 11:06 PM
iwantoneofthose
1st Gear
Keep in touch...I'm in Phoenix & we have 2 GPs in the family. I won't sell mine, but the other one may be up for sale one day.
sounds good!

Old 08-02-2011, 06:52 PM
azminiman
5th Gear
Yea,, an other GP in Phoenix If you havnt been, Patty ( It Works ) and I can take up South Mountain.. best road in Phx for the GP

Old 08-02-2011, 09:00 PM
iwantoneofthose
1st Gear
haven't been anywhere really, having just moved here 4 months ago... where exactly is South Mountain?

Old 08-03-2011, 07:38 PM
Jaque_Mate
4th Gear
There's a GP in Des Moines that I have seen 3 times now. Each time, I have waved, I have not received one back. I am determined to get a wave out of the fellow.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:23 PM
GP1152
3rd Gear
I was actually going to list mine for sale tonight. I love mine but it's just not practical for me anymore. Especially now that we live in California. We find ourselves going for weekend trips pretty often and since I don't want to put miles on the MINI, it just sits there. It's such a unique car and I've babied it so much that I can't see ragging it out with all those miles. So I've decided to sell it. I think we're going to go for a Countryman
My GP is immaculate. 16,000 miles and has always slept in an air-conditioned garage. The thing still smells new!!! I saw one for sale for $18,000 but it had something like 90k miles. I can tell you that to this day people walk up and ask me if it's a new model that MINI came out with. When I tell them it's an '06 they can't believe it.

A picture from this weekend:

Old 08-07-2011, 11:33 PM
Jtrem
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I am actually looking for a GP pretty soon as a daily.

I have two M3's. But, the e92 is going to go. I love my e46 and would never sell it. I dont feel the same about the e92. I want to dump it before the new F series M3 comes out and the values tank.

GP1152. What are you looking to get for it? Very Interested and I'm in California.

Quick Reply: Why are GP owners selling....