GP Talk (2006) Discussion of the limited edition, MINI Cooper S (R53)-based, John Cooper Works GP.

Getting the GP ready for MOTD....

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 01:55 AM
ONEFASTGOKART
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting the GP ready for MOTD....

The GP is currently at the shop, having a Autopower Industries Race Roll Bar and Schroth 4-Point Rallye Cross Harness installed. After speaking with the Owner of the shop yesterday, to check how the progress was going, and asking him to check the suspension, mainly the Tie Rods and Ball Joints for wear, I was told that the Right-Side Tie Rod was really bad and would need to be replaced and an alignment done. I authorized them to replace the Tie Rod. After sending that E-Mail, he E-Mails me back saying that a Tech was putting the rear wheels back on and then went around and re-torqued all the wheels but in the process of torquing the wheels, he found 2 loose lug nuts and one had stripped threads!! Which I don't understand because I had torqued all the Wheels to MINI Specs and this was not my first time putting wheels on a vehicle and torquing them. He said they would try to Helicoil the Stripped Thread but if they doesn't work, then I would need to replace the Wheel Hub..

Point of this Thread?.... I'll be going down to NC for MOTD and getting the GP ready for the Trip is starting to add up. Hoping they don't find anything else wrong with the GP!!

In April, before I head down to MOTD, I'm also going to have 4 new tires mounted and balanced on the OEM GP Wheels and a Oil and Lube job done. The GP is close to 50K Miles, so I ask, what else should I take care of on the GP, before I go to MOTD? I've already installed new front Rotors and Pads, except I'm probably going to change the Pads because I installed Hawk HPS Pads and am not quite liking them, especially in wet weather, so I will most likely install the OEM Brake Pads. Going to install new Wiper Blades, Air Filter, Cabin Filter, Fuel Filter, and change the Transmission Fluid. If I'm missing something, let me know.

By the way.. Any other GP owners going to MOTD?? While I'm down there, I'm having some goodies installed by WAY from Way Motor Works. Having a Stratmosphere Cat-Back Exhaust, Way Motor Works 17% Supercharger Pulley Kit, and a New-Man Camshaft Installed. Can't wait until the last week of April!!

-Adam

Old 03-16-2011, 05:12 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe a couple other GP owners:
http://www.gpmini.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545

I won't make it

Old 03-17-2011, 04:58 AM
THE ITCH
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Adam
With 50,000 miles you should be in need of front lower controll arm bushings. These usually fail before the ball joints. I would also give the power steering fan a once over and also be sure that the hi/low speed cooling fan is working properly.
Steve

Old 03-17-2011, 11:49 AM
Flynscot0256
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Dragon

I will be there with "Bella" GP 0256.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:45 PM
GreenIguana
2nd Gear
Just got mine back from the service: New Alta 22 mm rear sway bar and M7 USS installed on #0364.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:02 AM
ONEFASTGOKART
2nd Gear
Sweet

I'm currently in Virginia, going to head down to Orlando for a week and won't be home until week of April 19th. I was in Maryland this last week. Sucks not being able to drive the GP!! I've got an appointment set up when I get back the week of the 19th, to have Oil Changed, Brakes Bleeded, Manual Transmission Flush, New Tires Mounted and Balanced. I'm going to Install Carbotech 1520 pads Front and Rear. My Cobra Suzuka Pro GT seat should arrive soon along with the Mounting Hardware, so I'll swap the Recaro Pole Position for the Cobra Suzuka Pro GT.

Can't wait to see some other GPs at MOTD :-D