GP Talk (2006) Discussion of the limited edition, MINI Cooper S (R53)-based, John Cooper Works GP.

GP or JCW?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 08:22 AM
mrjasey
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you don't need the rear seats, I would get the GP. around where I am, i never see the GPs and I still wish I had held out for one.

I've owned a cobb stage 2 bugeye and currently own a cobb stage 2 GR STI (and 3 miatas, a s2k, and 2 VWs between) and I still haven't lost interest in my MINI. I daily drive the MINI since it gets much better MPG than the STI and is easier to park.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:51 AM
ngweibing
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GP for sure

Old 07-25-2011, 05:18 PM
teeots
1st Gear
Hi Guys,

yeah, I am familiar with the evo MR. My car-friend has one thats nicely modded and used for track days. Its in awesome car, even in stock form. I dunno, but I am looking for a different experience this time.

I did not buy the one from transportation network, but I missed it by a day or so. I am still trying to work out a deal on a different one, and looking forward to it.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:20 PM
teeots
1st Gear
oH YEAH,

I love the bugeyes too. My last subie was a stage 2, sti-swapped bugeye hatchback. 322awtq and 290 awhp. Loved it.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:58 AM
iflymini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by teeots
HI Guys,

I just joined five minutes ago and have a question. I am looking at buying my first mini. I started looking at s models with the intention of going the aftermarket route- engine performance and suspension, etc. Then I started looking at GPs and JCWs. I have narrowed it down to:

1: GP with 50kmi

2: JCW with 30kmi, with H&R springs, rear sway bar, oz wheels, camber plates

Probably the wrong place to ask the question but I look forward to your input. Also, my background is with wrx's and sti's so now I am wondering if a gp or jcw will keep my interest. Not a daily driver, but a somewhat regular use vehicle- 2-3 drives per week for errands and fun drives, occasional short trips.

Thanks
I think teeots has finally answered his own question!

Old 08-16-2011, 06:44 AM
teeots
1st Gear
Oops double posted

Last edited by teeots; 08-16-2011 at 06:56 AM. Reason: double posted
Old 08-16-2011, 06:55 AM
teeots
1st Gear
Hey all,
Picked up go 1292 yesterday down in Boston and drove 227 miles back up to Vermont where we were camping. Too bad it wesco raining for the ride. I did get a pretty good feel for the car and love it. I cant wait to drive it on a dry road! I took it up a mountain road in the national forest last night and had a blast. With the wet road it was hard to get the car to rotate, seems more likely to understeer in the harder corners. I think a bigger rear bar will fix that. Also needs tires replaced. I was at the tires limits long before the suspension/chassis limits
But lots of fun and lots of potential. To answer my original question, I think the gp is a great place to start. Its really fun as is, with potential for even more fun with some tweaks. Handling is so damned tight. Turn in is very crisp. Grip is very good. Its more fun than a stock wrx. Its apples and oranges I know, but the fun factor with this car is not measurable with 0-60 and 1/4 mile times.

We will be driving back to Maine today, another 5 hour drive in the rain.

Thanks to iflymini for a great transaction, lots of extras, thorough maintenance records, and being a classy guy! Sweet car!

Old 08-16-2011, 07:08 AM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Congrats on the new GP. Sounds like you are already having a good time with the car.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:29 AM
iflymini
4th Gear
Hey all,
Picked up go 1292 yesterday down in Boston and drove 227 miles back up to Vermont where we were camping. Too bad it wesco raining for the ride. I did get a pretty good feel for the car and love it. I cant wait to drive it on a dry road! I took it up a mountain road in the national forest last night and had a blast. With the wet road it was hard to get the car to rotate, seems more likely to understeer in the harder corners. I think a bigger rear bar will fix that. Also needs tires replaced. I was at the tires limits long before the suspension/chassis limits
But lots of fun and lots of potential. To answer my original question, I think the gp is a great place to start. Its really fun as is, with potential for even more fun with some tweaks. Handling is so damned tight. Turn in is very crisp. Grip is very good. Its more fun than a stock wrx. Its apples and oranges I know, but the fun factor with this car is not measurable with 0-60 and 1/4 mile times.

Thanks to iflymini for a great transaction, lots of extras, thorough maintenance records, and being a classy guy! Sweet car!
HAVE FUN MAN! I miss GP1292 more than I thought I would!! Take care of her and stay in touch!!

Old 08-16-2011, 08:27 AM
MotownMJ
Neutral
Congrats on the ride! Mine is at Detroit Tuned getting a bunch of stuff done, including beefing up those pesky strut towers that like to 'mushroom"on crappy Midwestern roads. Have fun!

Old 08-16-2011, 08:38 AM
andyroo
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Enjoy!

A 19mm rear sway, IE Fixed camber plates, Koni Yellows, front control arm bushing....very nice all around fun suspension set-up that rides well too.

- andrew (former Subaru guy, work with Racecomp Engineering)

Old 08-17-2011, 05:25 PM
teeots
1st Gear
Thanks guys I know you guys already know how much freakin fun this car is.

I'm still in the new and excited phase. I bought the car sight unseen and unsure if it would live up to my hopes in terms of performance and I'm really happy with the decision. I blasted up another local mountain road this afternoon!

Old 08-17-2011, 07:49 PM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The GP is great. I have had the GP for 5 years and I still get nice comments on the car.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:59 PM
mrwilson
2nd Gear
Hey all,

Congrats and welcome to the club. Couple things I did that really helped the ride was: 1) I replaced the awesome 18" stock wheels and horrible runflats with 17" OZ Racing Allegritta rims and some Hankook Ventus rubber. The GP handles way better and has a much quieter and pleasant ride quality. Other folks may suggest a good tire for the 18's but IMO 17's rock. My 18" rims and the Dunlop bricks are wrapped away for safe keeping.

2) I pimped the GP look with a good window tint. This is a must here in Socal but the blacked windows looks bad *** to me and perfectly compliments the GP blue/grey/black color scheme.

Just have fun with your new bulldog, and many of the other suggestions about handling tweaker parts are interesting to consider. Just don't overdo a good thing. The GP is truly a factory hot rod in a modern classic tradition and should be remain in that basic formula...again IMO.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:35 AM
MotownMJ
Neutral
I had Detroit Tuned install a 22810R Hotchkis Rear Bar - huge diff in handling! Also did the TSW engine mount, VPS strut tower plates and bar (skip the bar), and the Craven short shifter - much better, especially after flushing the tranny for Royal Purple as well.