GP Talk (2006) Discussion of the limited edition, MINI Cooper S (R53)-based, John Cooper Works GP.

GP clutch problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 07:50 AM
seewavedr
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GP clutch problems

Just recently had my clutch replaced by the dealership on my GP for the same problem others have been having ( high pitched squeal after sitting for several days ). The dealer replaced the clutch no questions asked . The clutch pedal is now easier to depress and not as firm as before . When I questioned the service manager about this he said that Mini has redesigned the OEM clutch because of complaints that it was too firm . He said that it is the same duty clutch and is the OEM replacement for the GP JCW . Does anyone know if this is true or is he just feeding me a line.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:45 AM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I feel your pain. Eariler this year, I had the same problem and complaint after having the clutch replaced at the dealer under warranty. I very much dislike the easy feel of the replacement clutch. I have gotten use to the feel but still prefer the original firmer feel especially for the GP. The dealer tried to tell me that the soft feel is the way the clutch should feel and that my original clutch was worn. I told them this was my second Mini and I purchased both new so I knew how the clutch was suppose to feel and the replacement clutch was not the same. I asked them to compare the replacement clutch to another Gen1 (06 or earlier) Mini and they said the replacement clutch feels like the other Mini clutches. I asked if they compared it to a 06 Mini and they said no because they did no have any 06 Minis on the lot. All they would say is the clutch feels like a new (2010) Mini clutch. I asked them to compare the clutch to an 06 they might have in for service and they never did. I contacted Mini USA because this was just one of many problems I had with the service. Mini USA would not do anything about the clutch because the replacement clutch worked fine and my complaint was just about the feel. The clutch replacement did not even fix the very slight squeal that I had noted. It appears that the dealership just assumed that the noise I was hearing was the clutch and replaced the clutch. I was so frustrated but the dealership and Mini USA would not do anything. I wish the clutch would not have been replaced.

Looks like Mini changed the clutch for the Gen2 Mini's (07 and newer) to make it easier to push. Now that is all Mini uses, thus if a Gen1 clutch is replaced it gets a Gen2 clutch.

I am concrened that it is softer because they use softer springs/fingers where the release bearing pushes on the pressure plate. I do not have confidence that the replacement clutch will last as long or will work as well in the long run such as 70,000 miles from now.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:32 AM
seewavedr
1st Gear
Thanks Quik,
I also have an '09 R55 JCW and that clutch feels firm just like the GP . I'm having RMW head ,cam , header installed in two weeks , I'll let you know how the clutch holds up with all that extra power .

Old 10-02-2010, 11:51 AM
Achilless
4th Gear
I dono if you two are talking about the famous "Chewbacca" sqeal that many r53 owners have on here. From what i understand its due to a glazed flywheel.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:39 PM
seewavedr
1st Gear
Achilles,

That's exactly what I had , but I'm worried that the replacement clutch is not as good as the original .

Old 10-03-2010, 10:05 AM
quikmni
6th Gear
I had a very slight chewbacca noise that was very intermittent. I suspect the dealer did not get the noise to repeat but just replaced the clutch because it is such a common problem.

My flywheel, pressure plate, and clutch disk were replaced. The dealership installed remanufactured parts with a very different feel than the original. I also have no faith that the parts are as good as original.

Old 10-03-2010, 04:11 PM
seewavedr
1st Gear
I guess I'll just have to bit the bullet and put an OSGiken clutch in. What do you think .

Old 10-04-2010, 09:12 AM
quikmni
6th Gear
OSGiken would be a great choice. I plan to wait until the current clutch dies before I spring for the OSGiken mainly because it looks to be a pain to install or expensive to have installed.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:47 PM
seewavedr
1st Gear
I hope the clutch performs well . Maybe the new lighter feel is better . I'm headed to Sebring for a track day Nov 6 . I'll report back on how it performs .

Old 10-05-2010, 01:24 PM
iflymini
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GP warranty ending soon! What are you folks doing???

GP1292 have only 43k and is in the dealer for one of its last covered services under the warranty..due to expire on 10 Nov.

Chewbacca elimination is one of the items they will fix along with a list of many other items. My dealer and service team have never let me down.

Now I am trying to determine if I should purchase the maintenance extension for $1495. Looks to me like I could easily spend that over the next two years for normal given mx items.

In addition, I have looked at the extended warranty for $2221 which is refundable: pro-rated for when/if I cancel it.

I assume I will have my GP another two years and I only put about 10k a year on it; even with it being my daily driver - year round - in beautiful Colorado - rain or snow!!

What have you guys done or thought about the extended mx or warranty?

Old 10-05-2010, 02:42 PM
quikmni
6th Gear
No extended warranty for me.

In general I do not find the extended warranties to be cost effective.
Very few of my cars have had major issues after the normal warranty period and before end of the extended warranty period (for example 50,000 to 100,000 miles) that justify the cost of the extended warranty.

Also in my case, I never want my MINI going to the dealership again. I have had a horrible experience with the closest MINI dealership, still 120 miles from my home.

I would think twice about the clutch replacement unless your chewbacca noise is very bad. I wish my clutch was not replaced.

I had a long list of warranty items for the dealership to fix before my warranty ran out so I decided against my best judgement to take it to the dealership before the warranty ran out. What a mistake. My GP was in and out of the shop for 4 weeks and most items were not fixed. The quality of the work was poor, the service advisors were unacceptable and I had to fix some of the dealership work when I got my car back. MINI USA was a little help but not much.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:55 PM
iflymini
4th Gear
Wow Quick! That sucks. Too bad your dealer is not owning up to things. I've been lucky in that respect. Thanks for your thoughts on my post! I appreciate it!

Old 10-05-2010, 07:31 PM
mrwilson
2nd Gear
Like a lot of you my OEM warranty period is coming to an end and I have the Chewbacca condition, that is always there overnight...though I don't drive it daily. Only rarely in very hot weather does it not do Chewy. I have taken it in and of course leaving it with the pathetic dealer in a hot garage or holding lot only created a "can not duplicate" condition. They did agree to take another look in an overnight condition, but I've not been able to take it in.... you know how life takes hold of these things! I'm on the fence and feel I may opt to live with it, but let me ask this. IS there a decent flywheel replacement for down the road? or is it too costly to handle off warranty....I know it's a bear to deal with the Mini motor, but I've helped my friend pull a P-car lump, and it was do-able in semi experienced hands.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:48 PM
quikmni
6th Gear
The OSGiken clutch/flywheel seems to be the current best clutch and flywheel replacement but it is expensive, about $1700. A less expensive alternate is the Valeo clutch/flywheel at about $500.
The replacement looks to be a pain. I believe the dealer charges about 9 hours. I suspect a good Mini repair shop can do it in about 5 hours.
I would agree that it is a doable job at home but would be a challege.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:06 AM
seewavedr
1st Gear
My GP has only 14k so I'm leaning against the extended warranty . My dealer has been very good about working to find and repair the few problems I've had with the GP . But, they quoted me 2400.00 for a four year extented warranty which I thought was very high . I'm now doing some engine mods that won't be covered any way and most likely will void any drive train components . These cars are generally very reliable and I have a good shop at Maitland Imports to do repairs . Any thoughts .

Old 10-06-2010, 09:05 AM
quikmni
6th Gear
If you are in interested in an extended warranty you might want to research other companies that sell extended warranties instead of MINI. I only time I purchased an extended warranty, I was able to purchase it through my credit union at about half the cost of the dealership warranty. You do need to read the fine print to make sure the warranty covers anything you want covered and does not have unusual exclusions. Also, check to see how much is the deductable and if rental car is provided. Some extended warranty policies allow non-dealership repair shops to perform work which would be great in your case if you could have Maitland perform the work.

Since your GP only has 14k and will soon be out of warranty, it might make some sense to get an extended warranty if you do not do your own work. If you have not already had the following common problems you probably will:
- Thermostat housing/gasket coolant leak
- Engine Mount failure (leaks all its black fluid)
- Oil Pan Gasket Leak

Maybe you could ask Maitland Imports how much these 3 repairs would cost (parts and labor) to trade-off against the cost of an extended warranty.

I would not worry about any major repairs, such as transmission failure, on the GP at least within the extended warranty period.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:19 AM
iflymini
4th Gear
GP1292 out of the shop!

I got my GP back after a week in the dealer shop. Once again; Ralph Schomp MINI rocks and so does Robert my service advisor....and Andrea (Roberts SA protege).........and Eric my mechanic. Based on some of your stories over the years I am feeling lucky to have my dealer team so on top of things and only five miles away from my house!

My repair list was ten pages....a record my SA told me! I gave them a long list to do PLUS they found a few other items while they were at it.

I did get a new clutch & flywheel which seems to have fixed the chewbacca sound and another issue I had. As some of you said, the clutch does feel different now. My report is the pedal has much less resistance when pushed but shifts very smooth. I can live with it and drive with peace of mind knowing its all new!

As for the extended warranty and/or mx....I have nearly decided to pay for the extended mx; $1495 which will take me through another 2+ years - I won't hit the 100k limit before I hit the mlg limit before the time limit and from what I can see looking forward I would spend nearly $1495 over the next two years between new brakes and the next service etc that will be due. I am still contemplating the extended warranty however based on the list of things they just fixed I would have been screwed had I not had a warranty!

The GP has been a fun daily driver for me and at some point in the next two years I will find a new home for it and get another new car. I am not sure I would buy another MINI...I am not happy with MINI USA after driving MINI's since 2003; the GP is my second MINI. Both of my MINI's were the only 'new' cars I ever owned and were owned while still under warranty and mx. I have to admit...warranty and mx is a good thing and something I want to have for my next car and the next. Perhaps I will go back to a BMW. It will all come down to what I can get for me GP and right now it seems the price for them is not as strong as many of us were hoping for.

Old 10-23-2010, 02:50 PM
mrwilson
2nd Gear
Okay mine's in the shop (mini of universal city)...left overnight to guarantee the Chewy symptoms that we all know happen when cold or sitting long for a few days...and sure enuff Chewy didn't disappoint. Should get rep approval Monday and surgery on Tuesday. Will report back...but I had to go for it, since it annoys the kerapp outta me, if the new clutch pack is softer that won't bug me too much...but we will soon see.

Old 10-23-2010, 03:32 PM
iflymini
4th Gear
my dealer did mine...clutch and flywheel. chewy is gone...clutch is softer but works great! I am happy.

Old 10-23-2010, 04:32 PM
seewavedr
1st Gear
My clutch is easier to depress too and works fine . I wasn't sure about it at first since it felt so different from the original clutch . Has a very positive feel when it engages . Just had RMW head cam header injectors installed so lots more power . I'm very happy with the way the clutch performs so far . We'll see how in holds up in the long run .

Old 10-25-2010, 07:04 PM
It Works
6th Gear
Mine goes in tomorrow. Crossing my fingers that the clutch is fine.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:23 PM
It Works
6th Gear
I'm jinxed! While pulling out of the driveway this morn, on my way to the dealer, the clutch started making "the sound!". Guess what...my GP is getting a new clutch! Will be picking it up sometime tomorrow. Hope it feels the same as the original one did!

Old 10-27-2010, 06:11 AM
iflymini
4th Gear
I posted that I got a new clutch and flywheel. It works great however the pedal has less resistance to it....no problem though and I know its NEW!

Old 10-27-2010, 06:51 PM
It Works
6th Gear
Same here... new clutch and flywheel. Definitely softer but feels fine to me.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:48 PM
mrwilson
2nd Gear
My Garage Prince Chewy clutch swap is done...Pickup & spank it 2moro. Sounds like the concencous is the fix is good. Will weigh in a few days with my .02.

Quick Reply: GP clutch problems