General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the stupidest thing you've heard someone say about the MINI (or any car)?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 01:18 PM
cooperjedi
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the stupidest thing you've heard someone say about the MINI (or any car)?

On the old B15sentra forum I was a member of we had a thread like this that went for years.

Old 01-03-2006, 01:31 PM
cooperjedi
2nd Gear
And so far the stupidest thing has been the extremely large woman outside of Quick Chek that told me that I was dishonoring all of the soldiers who are in Iraq fighting so that we can drive "American Style Cars" whatever that means?

She then went on to tell me that she found small cars and their drivers annoying becuase they are not safe and if she had her way we would all be driving large cars.

After that she got into her Ford Explorer with about 30 dents in it and left.

I just stood there with my jaw open because I had no idea what to say!

Old 01-03-2006, 01:38 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Happened in our 1971 Morris Minor Traveller a couple months ago - a young lady - late 20's or early 30's asked my hubby if we had modified a PT CRUISER to look like a Woodie... Needless to say, Mike educated her pretty fast...

Donna

Old 01-03-2006, 01:40 PM
pyratio
Coordinator :: Hawaii MINI Motoring Club
not quite stupid but cute...

--I was detailing my S-lites one night at my brother's in-laws driveway and a nice old lady walked by and started telling her husband, "That's the car they use in all the James Bond movies! A man told me they use those because their undersides are rock hard and s'why they're able to drive down steps without worrying about anything breaking!"

I just smiled and laughed and told her that they ARE tough little cars but... I didn't have the heart to tell her Hollywood and reality have no relation to eachother. She was a really sweet old lady and proceeded to tell me how cute the car is and that there was another red one in the neighborhood. I thought it was cute that she reverred the MINI in that way tho.

--pyratio

Old 01-03-2006, 01:41 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
I had someone back in 2002 ask me if the engine was still mounted in the back.

Old 01-03-2006, 01:42 PM
89AKurt
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My most common stupid question: how do you fit in it?
I'm 6'3"; I say it was designed for people over 6'7". Should I ask if they fill up the whole interior of their SUV?

Old 01-03-2006, 01:58 PM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
It doesn't ...

"It doesn't SOUND like an electric car"

Old 01-03-2006, 02:01 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bpago

Old 01-03-2006, 02:02 PM
Squirlz
6th Gear
A guy in a gas station asked "did you build that little low-rider yourself?"

Granted, he seemed mentally challenged and perhaps under some influence (tho he was driving).

Old 01-03-2006, 02:06 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Alleged "friends" commenting a few weeks back upon hearing that my MINI's battery had died...."We'll get you some AAs!!"

Old 01-03-2006, 02:16 PM
Rev. Limiter
4th Gear
Fellow at a convenience store:

"That's an unusual looking Rabbit". (Volkswagon, I guess.) "Did they ever figure how to keep the engine from catching fire?"

Me: "I guess so... I haven't seen a recall yet."

Old 01-03-2006, 02:40 PM
Califzeph
5th Gear
Guy behind me in the drive thru lane at Taco Bell (in an old beat up pickup): "Can you buy them there cars in America?"

Old 01-03-2006, 02:54 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
a sales assistant of ours told me that she wanted to buy her 16yr old
daughter a SAFE car so did not want a small coupe (MCS) like mine
and bought her a used Cobalt sedan.

Old 01-03-2006, 02:57 PM
MR ECON
6th Gear
Someone suggested that I could get a "toy hauler" and bring the Mini camping.

Old 01-03-2006, 03:02 PM
CDMINI
5th Gear
"I would like to get a definitive answer to that question (conflict in oil chemistry) as well. There is enough residual oil in the engine that I personally would be concerned about mixing Brand X with Brand Y unless I knew there would be no conflict. That was why I purchased the Castrol Full Synthetic from the dealer. I would rather have the Mobil 1 in the engine, but not enough that I would take a risk on the oil turning to sludge and toasting the engine." Author unnamed.

Taken from a recent NAM thread about switching from MINI Synthetic oil (Castrol)to Mobil 1. Author will remain nameless unless you find the thread. Let's see, same oil weight range and service requirements, but the residual drops or portions of an oz. of the previous oil could create a chemical reaction and "toast the engine." You'd think it was blood chemistry and Type A doesn't mix with Type B, Type AB etc., I know people think their cars are people sometimes, but it's still nothing but a MACHINE...You think if it was down a quart of oil I wouldn't add whatever I could get my hands on to keep it topped off and drive it home where I could fix it or get it fixed? Dyno, synthetic, blends, it is just lubrication oil... Harley says you should find some DIESEL service oil of the approximate weight for their air-cooled motorcycles until you can get it home and change it back to HD oil or the equivalent...

Old 01-03-2006, 03:45 PM
PurplePeopleEater
6th Gear
When my husband had a Union Jack flag on his roof, a woman at the drive-through window commented that she really liked the Reebok logo on the roof!

Old 01-03-2006, 03:50 PM
batgirlwildcat
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PurplePeopleEater
When my husband had a Union Jack flag on his roof, a woman at the drive-through window commented that she really liked the Reebok logo on the roof!

Old 01-03-2006, 04:08 PM
CDMINI
5th Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
Alleged "friends" commenting a few weeks back upon hearing that my MINI's battery had died...."We'll get you some AAs!!"

Old 01-03-2006, 04:12 PM
MiNiBeamer
2nd Gear
The most annoying thing many people have brought up is a comparison between a Mini and a smart car. Drives me insane

Old 01-03-2006, 04:16 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
When driving Xcountry and up into Lotsie Land (Canada) we stopped for gas in Montana in a MR2 Turbo. The attendent came out, walked around the car three times, and gave up ... he couldn't find the gas cap. When we hit the Canadian customs, with absolutely no one else around, they stopped us for an hour asking what kind of car was this? Was it American? Italian?

They didn't pull it apart of look in our luggage but just sat and talked and talked and talked in total amazement. I guess they hadn't seen one of these funny 2-seaters in them parts before

Old 01-03-2006, 04:19 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
We pulled into a spot near the Post Office in the MINI and while the wife went into the PO an very old lady came over to my window, knocked on it IN THE RAIN, and asked me whether we play checkers on the roof. Then she stopped my wife coming out of the PO and asked the same thing.

She then got into her older sedan and just watched us go down the road until long gone her mouth agape

Old 01-03-2006, 04:23 PM
yumhaggis
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Donna/Mike
Happened in our 1971 Morris Minor Traveller a couple months ago - a young lady - late 20's or early 30's asked my hubby if we had modified a PT CRUISER to look like a Woodie... Needless to say, Mike educated her pretty fast...

Donna
Same thing happens to me in my 1959 MMT, HELLO did your parents have any children that lived

Old 01-03-2006, 04:35 PM
Morris9982
4th Gear
I've posted this once before but it's still one of my favorite stories.

I was stopped at a gas station in South Carolina years ago to refuel my Porsche 914-6. In case you aren't familiar with that car, it's a 914 variation that was produced in 1970-73 that had the 914 body but the 911 drive train.

Anyway, while I was filling it, someone walked up to me and asked me what kind of car I was driving. I answered that it was called a Porsche.

He asked, "Who makes that, Ford?"

Old 01-03-2006, 04:36 PM
yumhaggis
4th Gear
Originally Posted by bpago
Just had this one asked the other by a Jehovah Witness, they'll do anything to start up a conversation :impatient

Old 01-03-2006, 04:37 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chows4us
We pulled into a spot near the Post Office in the MINI and while the wife went into the PO an very old lady came over to my window, knocked on it IN THE RAIN, and asked me whether we play checkers on the roof. Then she stopped my wife coming out of the PO and asked the same thing.

She then got into her older sedan and just watched us go down the road until long gone her mouth agape
Checkerboard game! Bwahahahahahahaaaaa! Very cute!

Quick Reply: What's the stupidest thing you've heard someone say about the MINI (or any car)?