North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   General MINI Talk (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/general-mini-talk-197/)
-   -   Buying my first track ready mini (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/general-mini-talk/337851-buying-my-first-track-ready-mini.html)

Paul@SF 04-10-2019 10:15 AM

Buying my first track ready mini

Hello,

This is my first post on this forum. I am looking to buy a pre owned mini that is ready for the track, but still street legal in California. I don’t have the time to build one from scratch, so I was hoping someone might have a few suggestions of where I should look. I don’t know if I should buy a used JWC, or an S. I’d just love to find something that was tuned properly. I’m also not sure if mileage should be a concern. Is there a mileage number that things start to go horribly wrong or are the engines like Porsche air cooled, where it really doesn’t matter as long as you properly maintain them.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Paul

JABowders 04-10-2019 11:33 AM

Here is one spot to check.

I prefer the GEN1s but it just matters on your interest ..

https://bringatrailer.com/mini/modern/

Motor On!

Eddie07S 04-10-2019 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Paul@SF (Post 4462628)
Hello,

This is my first post on this forum. I am looking to buy a pre owned mini that is ready for the track, but still street legal in California. I don’t have the time to build one from scratch, so I was hoping someone might have a few suggestions of where I should look. I don’t know if I should buy a used JWC, or an S. I’d just love to find something that was tuned properly. I’m also not sure if mileage should be a concern. Is there a mileage number that things start to go horribly wrong or are the engines like Porsche air cooled, where it really doesn’t matter as long as you properly maintain them.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Paul

Paul,
Welcome to NAM!
What experience do you have driving on the track?

Paul@SF 04-10-2019 05:12 PM

I’ve done a couple of multi day skip barber courses on Laguna Seca and lived next to the Nürburgring a few years ago so was able to lap it quite a bit. I’ve never formally raced, I’d say I have moderate abilities on the track.

WayMotorWorks 04-10-2019 06:53 PM

For a track use car you for sure want to make sure it is in good mechanical, and suspension is all in good not beat or worn out since you will be pushing it much further than a standard car. So that will rule out about 50-70% of cars on the market, or you need to make the the first things you budget after purchase.

But also since you are going to track it you don't need to buy a car that is a perfect never scratched car loaded with options.

So best to look and shop till you find a car that fits the bill.

Paul@SF 04-10-2019 07:07 PM

Thanks for the advice. Is there a cut off for the mileage?

Eddie07S 04-10-2019 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Paul@SF (Post 4462744)
I’ve done a couple of multi day skip barber courses on Laguna Seca and lived next to the Nürburgring a few years ago so was able to lap it quite a bit. I’ve never formally raced, I’d say I have moderate abilities on the track.

with that experience I would recommend a Gen II JCW, 2010 ish or later. If you can swing it, get one with the N18 engine. That engine came into the JCW in either 2012 or 2013. The JCW comes with more power, great brakes and a better suspension than the S. It is very track-worthy right from the factory. Even better would be a JCW with the optional JCW suspension (red springs vs black for the base JCW suspension). I am not aware of a “fall apart” year or age for the MINIs. It is more as to how well they are maintained. Oil changes every 5k miles and, for a track car, always keep it topped off with oil even if you have to add a quarter or half a quart. I also change my oil before any multi day event as the turbo really cooks the oil. Replace the serpentine belt when you get it and then at 30k. Get a good set of race brake pads (Carbotech xp10s or 12s for the front, xp8s for the rear). Motul brake fluid is a must.

Hope this helps. And Have Fun!

Paul@SF 04-10-2019 08:57 PM

Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it.

Originally Posted by Eddie07S (Post 4462777)
with that experience I would recommend a Gen II JCW, 2010 ish or later. If you can swing it, get one with the N18 engine. That engine came into the JCW in either 2012 or 2013. The JCW comes with more power, great brakes and a better suspension than the S. It is very track-worthy right from the factory. Even better would be a JCW with the optional JCW suspension (red springs vs black for the base JCW suspension). I am not aware of a “fall apart” year or age for the MINIs. It is more as to how well they are maintained. Oil changes every 5k miles and, for a track car, always keep it topped off with oil even if you have to add a quarter or half a quart. I also change my oil before any multi day event as the turbo really cooks the oil. Replace the serpentine belt when you get it and then at 30k. Get a good set of race brake pads (Carbotech xp10s or 12s for the front, xp8s for the rear). Motul brake fluid is a must.

Hope this helps. And Have Fun!

Revolution Motor Works 04-10-2019 08:57 PM

where is the OP located? If you are in SoCal you can swing by and get a ride in some cars to get an idea of how much power etc you want/need

Eddie07S 04-11-2019 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Paul@SF (Post 4462788)
Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it.

:thumbsup:

We would love to hear about how you make out with this.

Oh, one other suggestion, which applies to any MINI for the track, is to try to find one without the panoramic sun roof. That adds about 50 lbs to the car in a place that is not ideal.

TheBigNewt 04-16-2019 10:42 AM

See if you can find a Coupe (2012-2015). They have the stiffer frame like the convertible Roadster, a stiffer body too, but it has a top of course. They only weigh about 2600 lbs, much lighter than the Gen3 F series cars. A JCW would be nice too, but that might be pretty hard to find. I think Mini only sold about 1,000 Coupes in the US.