North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   General MINI Talk (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/general-mini-talk-197/)
-   -   JCW stamp on exhaust tips? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/general-mini-talk/337553-jcw-stamp-on-exhaust-tips.html)

Beemerchef 04-01-2019 12:39 PM

JCW stamp on exhaust tips?

It is no a biggie but I was wondering why my 2017 JCW does not have the "JCW" stamp on the exhaust tips unlike the 2016 I had and sold.
Does anyone else have "UN-stamped" exhaust tips? I kind of doubt they are after market.
Thanks. Curious me!!!

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...d25cf5c744.jpg

Mini_Vinnie 04-01-2019 12:41 PM

weird, Ive never seen that before. Is it a true JCW kit?

Beemerchef 04-01-2019 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mini_Vinnie (Post 4460579)
weird, Ive never seen that before. Is it a true JCW kit?

It is a true JCW from the Factory.
I must also say that unlike my past 2016 JCW the exhaust sound I am 100% sure does not come from the speakers...

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...9ce0ca2f9f.jpg
Official from VIN number

vetsvette 04-01-2019 02:27 PM

The JCW Pro tips have the engraving/stamps. The standard JCW doesn't. To the best of my knowledge, so take that with a grain of salt.

Beemerchef 04-01-2019 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by vetsvette (Post 4460626)
The JCW Pro tips have the engraving/stamps. The standard JCW doesn't. To the best of my knowledge, so take that with a grain of salt.

Hmmmmmmmmm... What would be the difference? I always thought they only made "one JCW". Just curious... Strangely enough it also has the "NM Engineering Alum. 1 1/4" rear control arms". Wish I could get in touch with the previous one owner but the Dealer will not let me!

I don't see any difference in the tips from my past 2016 which were stamped. Would there than be differences between a "Pro JCW" and a "standard JCW" if there is such a thing?

Thanks.

Edit: Just spoke with the Service Manager of the Mini Dealer I go to in NM [bought the car in NV] and brought up the VIN number. It is a Factory JCW and he did mention that the newer ones do not have the stamp on the exhaust tips... Maybe cutting back and saving a few dollars... or pounds... or Deutschmarks!!!

bluonyx 04-01-2019 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by vetsvette (Post 4460626)

Like Vetsvette said, the JCW Pro exhaust kit (optional) will have the engraved/stamped tips and will come with the bluetooth remote to open and close the valves. The standard JCW exhaust does not have this.

Easist way to be sure is to look near the exhaust tips right side underneath for an open/close actuator. Left pic regular, right pic JCW Pro Exhaust

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...793a3c3d99.jpg
JCW Pro Exhaust
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...d572db54a9.jpg

Beemerchef 04-01-2019 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by bluonyx (Post 4460715)
Like Vetsvette said, the JCW Pro exhaust kit (optional) will have the engraved/stamped tips and will come with the bluetooth remote to open and close the valves. The standard JCW exhaust does not have this.

Easist way to be sure is to look near the exhaust tips right side underneath for an open/close actuator. Left pic regular, right pic JCW Pro Exhaust

JCW Pro Exhaust

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

My 2016 had the tips stamped but was not the Pro exhaust.
I think my curiosity has been satisfied now and appreciate your input.

vetsvette 04-01-2019 09:41 PM

The tips have separate part numbers from the exhaust itself (Pro), so it could be that someone swapped tips on the other car. Then again Mini has been known to change options on a whim too, without telling anyone.

Beemerchef 04-01-2019 09:49 PM

[QUOTE]The tips have separate part numbers from the exhaust itself (Pro), so it could be that someone swapped tips on the other car. Then again Mini has been known to change options on a whim too, without telling anyone.[QUOTE]

That is basically what the Service Manager said today.

He also added that the Pro JCW exhaust is truly only installed [with its other components] on the Cooper S to make it a JCW. There is no sense he said, besides the exhaust blurb, to install a Pro JCW exhaust on an existing JCW... No gain of power, nothing. Just the noise. An expensive noise option!

Makes sense?

Edit: Seems as I was wrong, kind of, as now the Pro exhaust can be installed on the JCW...
"The MINI John Cooper Works Pro Valve Exhaust System is here and it’s making some noise. Previously an option for MINI Cooper S variants, it is now available to be installed on both the MINI John Cooper Works Hatch and MINI John Cooper Works Convertible."

vetsvette 04-01-2019 11:06 PM

KYDan had one installed on his JCW and had it on the dyno. He checked the difference in the open vs closed position and found it made 8 more hp in the open (track) mode. When you buy it for the JCW all you get is the exhaust system. The S version includes an ECU tune in addition to the exhaust system. With both systems the tips are sold separately and are available in chrome or carbon fiber.

Beemerchef 04-02-2019 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by vetsvette (Post 4460752)
KYDan had one installed on his JCW and had it on the dyno. He checked the difference in the open vs closed position and found it made 8 more hp in the open (track) mode. When you buy it for the JCW all you get is the exhaust system. The S version includes an ECU tune in addition to the exhaust system. With both systems the tips are sold separately and are available in chrome or carbon fiber.

Yes, I am finally understanding. It is an expensive proposition [+/- $2000] for 8hp and of course a great sound.
I am now thinking that my 2016 had maybe an older style "sport" exhaust as it sounded great, had JCW stamped on the tips but no "open vs closed" position. [???]
I really doubt I will go that route as much as I would like to!
Thanks.

iwashmycar 04-02-2019 10:57 AM

Mini is strange

I remember back in my R56 days, there were the "factory JCW" cars and the "tuning kit" ones. I guess those would have been S's, but that is not my point. Tuning kit cars had the fancy exhaust tips with the embossed logo. Factory JCWs had completely plain tips as part of a one-piece original exhaust.

N0B0DY 04-02-2019 03:26 PM

The JCW pro exhaust is currently on sale. It's around $1000 now.

vetsvette 04-02-2019 08:16 PM

You can probably find it even cheaper somewhere. I paid $1350 for the Tuning Kit installed. That's the exhaust and the tune. I just got an ad from my dealer today that they were discounting the Tuning Kit by almost $900 while supplies last.

Beemerchef 04-03-2019 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by N0B0DY (Post 4460931)
The JCW pro exhaust is currently on sale. It's around $1000 now.

It is, [$975], but what I don't understand is why the tips, chrome or carbon fiber are so expensive! $575... Seriously? Also the price with the "Tune Up Kit" or NOT [which the JCW does NOT need] is the same... Does not make sense.

Originally Posted by vetsvette (Post 4460992)
You can probably find it even cheaper somewhere. I paid $1350 for the Tuning Kit installed. That's the exhaust and the tune. I just got an ad from my dealer today that they were discounting the Tuning Kit by almost $900 while supplies last.

Awaiting to hear from the Dealer today which I have a very good rapport with for a quote installed... They are the ones that offered me an extra $2000 for my 2016 JCW from what I had paid for. They had a customer for it, an impatient one!!!
What an extravagant expense for some sound and maybe 8hp! Of course "what a sound!"...

vetsvette 04-03-2019 09:11 AM

There is a NM Power Module for sale in the classified section. For very little cash that’ll bump you 25-30 hp. Ask KYDan about it. He has one on his JCW. I had one until I got the Bytetronik tune. Never had a complaint and it was a real kick to drive.

N0B0DY 04-03-2019 04:35 PM

The chrome tips are much cheaper.

Beemerchef 04-03-2019 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by N0B0DY (Post 4461171)
The chrome tips are much cheaper.

Yes, for sure, by $423!!! So it is chrome tips for sure. Have nothing on the car to match carbon fiber...

ECSTuning 04-04-2019 11:58 AM

Yep they dropped the prices,

https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/f55-f56-hatch-talk-2014/276186-jcw-tuning-parts-for-the-f56-with-prices-10.htm/

Chrome tips are now like about $51 used to be around $90 ish

vetsvette 04-04-2019 02:45 PM

The CF tips don’t seem to enjoy the same discount.

MikeMJCW 04-04-2019 02:54 PM

IMO the JCW should come stock with Pro exhaust and Pro coilovers. I can't spend anyone's money but at $1000 with a tune seems like a good bang for buck. You can check out older post and see what it cost us. :eek2:

Beemerchef 04-04-2019 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by ECSTuning (Post 4461356)
Yep they dropped the prices,

https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/f55-f56-hatch-talk-2014/276186-jcw-tuning-parts-for-the-f56-with-prices-10.htm/

Chrome tips are now like about $51 used to be around $90 ish

I hate to say it, but as I am having the "Sport Exhaust" mounted Monday on my 2017 JCW [JCW from Factory! No tuning kit needed]] and my Dealer is giving me an even better price. Of course I am going to pay for the labor as I am the worse mechanic!!!

Originally Posted by MikeMJCW (Post 4461384)
IMO the JCW "should come stock with Pro exhaust and Pro coilovers. I can't spend anyone's money but at $1000 with a tune seems like a good bang for buck. You can check mine and others older post and see what it cost us. :eek2:

That is exactly what I was thinking today... Seriously! It feels like paying an arm and a leg for a true JCW and then "Bham and Duh...", of course I want the "Sport Exhaust"... Just another way to make more money?
Now, what is really strange, is that my 2016 JCW had the "Sport Exhaust" with the stamped JCW tips without the flap... Yes, it sounded great permanently in the Sport Driving mode and I did not realize that until I picked up this 2017 a couple weeks ago. I had to switch from manual to paddles shifting/auto because of new hips and spine plate and screws! I am also 100% sure that no exhaust sound comes from any rear speakers as I read somewhere here on the Forum. Unfortunately I cannot find that thread again as some owners were discussing to actually disconnect that exhaust/speaker sound. Maybe Mini themselves has done away with it.

N0B0DY 04-04-2019 07:02 PM

the previous owner could've disabled the sound. I have a 2019 JCW and it has active sound. There's a big difference when it's disabled.

MikeMJCW 04-05-2019 05:03 AM

Search for Active Sound Design (ASD) within NAM. It can be disabled thru a ASD bypass/defeat harness or using the bimmercode app. I just recently disabled it thru the Bimmercode app and will never turn it back on.

ECSTuning 04-05-2019 05:08 AM

Yep, some people disable it.