North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   General MINI Talk (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/general-mini-talk-197/)
-   -   Straight pipe (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/general-mini-talk/336504-straight-pipe.html)

LouCypher 02-27-2019 04:22 PM

Straight pipe

Has anyone just went with a straight pipe exhaust, you know, just removing the muffler and let her rip, and if you did how did it sound.

scotty_r56s 02-27-2019 08:00 PM

The muffle delete has a good sound. One of the first things I did was remove the muffler. I personally really liked the sound, it was just loud enough, but not obnoxious. Then I went catless and it got sofaking loud. I already have permanent hearing damage, but damn, it's loud. Dump the muffler and keep the cats, or do the reverse. My radio and bluetooth are useless and I love it, but I'm basically deaf lol

Also, it's no louder than most of the Harleys around here. I have received more compliments than complaints and have never been black flagged or pulled over for noise.

squawSkiBum 02-27-2019 09:40 PM

Many years ago the muffler rusted out and fell off my Fiat 128. (yes it was a long time ago.) That little 1300cc engine was SO FREAKING LOUD, sounded like a race car. Really surprising how much noise can come out of a small engine. Ever heard a small 2 stroke dirt bike with an "expansion chamber" exhaust? If you have a turbo that will quiet it down a little bit, but not much. No way a straight pipe would be something you (or the neighbors) could live with. Unless you're deaf, the neighbors are all deaf, and the cops are all deaf, well then go for it.

MrGrumpy 02-27-2019 11:46 PM

I have a catless downpipe and the the 2nd cat and resonator deleted. Just running a straight pipe from the flex to the factory muffler in my Countryman. The downpipe gave it a nice tone. It got a lot louder when the 2nd cat and resonator came out! I’m really glad I left the muffler. I get a little bit of drone as is, but without the muffler it would be unbearable.
And the pops are loud as hell!

Derek86 02-28-2019 06:14 AM

If you're running a turbo car it will be reasonably loud. If you're running an non-turbo car, it will be stupid loud.

Bnourai 03-21-2019 05:15 PM

My 09 on manic stage 2 catless with 2.5" and magnaflow 18" resanator drones in 6th gear so bad that when I get to my destination my ears are vibrates so bad I can't stand it. Before I replaced my muffler to magnaflow I did not have this problem but now it's crazy. Today I went to the muffler shop the guy added one more resanator so now I have 36" to quite down the drone it's better but still there, I have kilmat all over the car but it has gotten very annoying, I either have to replace the muffler or get a high-flow catted downpipe I like my car's quiet but powerful.

LouCypher 03-21-2019 05:35 PM

I decided to go muffler delete, love the way my car sounds.

squawSkiBum 03-25-2019 08:45 PM

Let us know when you get your first noise ticket :lol:

MINI33342 03-26-2019 07:21 AM

:impatient::roll:

Alpha Motoring 03-26-2019 12:42 PM

I bought a R53 that had stock cat/header but had no muffler and just a resonator. I got a massive headache in the first 30 minutes, needless to say the JCW exhaust went right back in promptly. It sounds cool, but it gets old and very very tiring quickly.

ECSTuning 03-28-2019 08:53 AM

+1 yep, most will drone and vibrate the back trunk and glass. If you drive it to car shows and just here and there it might be fine, but for daily driving, it gets loud and after a while, my ears started to ring. keep a resonator seems to help.

#minilife 03-29-2019 05:51 AM

R56 straight pipe

Do they run well straight piped with and or without cats. I had a bad o2 sensor on mine and had a cut out put on after the cat. Right now it's in the shop because it keeps stalling. Hoping it's not the exsaust because I want to take the cat out soon. Also what kind of place would take cats out. Most of them around here wont touch them

LouCypher 03-29-2019 09:18 AM

I’m just running cat and resonator and my car runs fine