General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone wave anymore?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 10:38 AM
Soul Coughing
5th Gear
Received 150 Likes on 114 Posts
Does anyone wave anymore?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I have been pretty upset about the lack of enthusiasm from fellow MINI owners. When I first had the MINI back in '03, everyone waved back at me and there were a couple people that actually followed me to talk about the cars. My fiance has a Jeep Wrangler and she/I gets a wave everytime we pass another Wrangler, and they're pretty much every other car in my neck of the woods. I barely see any other 1st gens, and the only person who has waved at me was a guy in a r56 on the highway. Most of the MINI's are the larger 4 doors and convertibles, so maybe there aren't as many enthusiasts? Or maybe they don't even know that they're supposed to wave? Does that happen to other OG's or is that just me in my area?

Old 01-10-2019, 10:49 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I always wave at other MINIs. Just a couple of days ago I got a wave back from a series one Cooper and a series two Cooper.
I have received waves from a couple of New MINI Coopers, but most of them don't wave.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:53 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,711 Likes on 1,380 Posts
Originally Posted by DneprDave
I always wave at other MINIs. Just a couple of days ago I got a wave back from a series one Cooper and a series two Cooper.
I have received waves from a couple of New MINI Coopers, but most of them don't wave.
Here in Connecticut, its the same. I probably get 1 wave back from every 10 that I wave first.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:10 AM
Soul Coughing
5th Gear
Received 150 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by DneprDave
I'm glad to hear that there's still people out there waving!

Originally Posted by njaremka
Here in Connecticut, its the same. I probably get 1 wave back from every 10 that I wave first.
Yeah, I'd say mine is even higher than that, but most people just seem to not even notice their surroundings, whereas the wranglers usually get in their wave before me!

The following users liked this post:
ghaut (08-03-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 11:12 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Pretty rare thing now. I'm usually concentrating more on the road and the crappy drivers in front of me to pay attention to waving. Things like people who are braking while turning at 5 mph or riding the brakes all the way down a slight incline.

The following users liked this post:
ghaut (08-03-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 11:30 AM
Mineeee
3rd Gear
Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
I'm a waver in my old R52, Ive only had a couple of waves back in the 4 or 5 months Ive had it, and those dont seem to come from the new maxi sized minis:( Maybe waving just isnt a thing for people driving small new crossovers rather than old fun go carts...

Ill admit I dont wave to every mini, sometimes I dont spot them till its too late while also trying to avoid the crappy drivers around me.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:00 PM
lotter1
4th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts
I have only gotten one wave back but a lot of strange looks here in Tucson. This is actually funny as a similar question was poster on a klr forum. Seems like waving is fading as noob's don't know about it and the seasoned folks have given up?
I still wave, either when driving the MINI or on the bike.

Old 01-10-2019, 01:56 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I live out in the sticks, there is another series two Clubman just a few miles from me, I have been waving at it for years, about twice a week. They have never waved back, but last summer I finally got a wave back from them. It sure took long enough, but persistence won out.

Old 01-10-2019, 03:53 PM
OCR
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts
I've waved at other apparently, "hot rod" (lowered, aftermarket wheels, etc.) Minis, with nothing back.
I also drive a sport bike. I've waved to and been waved at other types of bike drivers, from cross country style bikes to "real" Harley's (NOT the Hollywood Harley types), to other sport bikes. I've even had "Gang" (showing colors) type Harley guys wave.
Mini drivers...not so much...at least here in SoCal. Kinda goes with the same reception I got at the Bimmer Fest last year. THAT was a big waste of time and money.

Mike

Old 01-10-2019, 04:05 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
I still wave, but rarely get a return wave. Like mentioned above, a lot of folks just don’t seem to have any awareness of what’s going on around them anymore. Usually the modded ones will wave back. Some of us in the “big crossover “ Mini’s do wave! But I see a lot of people not even looking anywhere but straight ahead when driving. A little too focused if you ask me! Lol.... maybe it’s me, ha ha

Old 01-10-2019, 04:58 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts
I wave most of the time (usually a V sign on whichever hand is on the wheel) but am surprised when I get anything back as it's pretty rare these days. Every once in awhile I will swear off waving altogether, but I invariably get a wave from someone the very next day and get re-energized about it.

I think a lot of people are just zoned out when they're driving and don't see anything. I wave to my neighbors when I see them driving (not MINI drivers) and they never even notice me. It's too bad.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:29 PM
dmath
6th Gear
Received 546 Likes on 373 Posts
I think this is something that declines over time. We bought a Miata in August '89, about a month after they hit the US. Waves and "blinking" (raising and lowering) the headlights was almost universal when Miatas passed. Died off after a while.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:57 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
I always wave. Most confounding wave: Had to leave my li'l guy in the shop over night once and had to rent a car to get home. That car was a jeep patriot. I was NOT impressed. What made it worse was, I got a jeep wave.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:01 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
Maybe it’s just the “Damn kids these days!” Maybe we’re too old.
Seems like when I do get a return wave it’s usually someone mid-30’s or older. Maybe we are just too old for the cool kids to wave back, while the rest are just zoning out.
My son is planning to buy a Mini after he turns 18 next month, I know he’ll wave, but he’s an oddball like his dad.
chrunck has it right up above too. Not only is the two finger “V” the quickest and easiest to flash, it is from what I’ve read, the classic Mini wave. I think it even says that in my owners manual somewhere.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:20 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
I wave, a lot. Don't get many returns, but it could be because it's hard to see with my dark window tint. Too many surgeries on my left arm to ride around with my arm hanging out. It's like when I first bought my Corvette. Up until that time it was mostly an enthusiasts car. They were fast, handled great, but it was like climbing in and out of a hole when you got in or out of it. Rode hard as a conestoga wagon too. Then they came out with the C5 and it opened up to a whole new market. As more people bought them just because they were cool and much more comfortable than previous generations, the enthusiast pool was thinned out, much like has happened with the Mini. Most of the new owners could care less about "The Wave". Could have changed again in recent years though. My Vette has been in storage for 10 years now.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:54 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
This put me in mind of the olden days (early/mid '60s) when British roadsters were more prevalent, we would salute each other with a raised fist solidarity style. I don't think that would translate well these days.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:19 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Old 01-11-2019, 06:21 AM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
I alway wave as a salute to the MINI/Mini. If the driver returns the wave they are included in the salutation. Very few if any return a wave.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:45 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
I do all the time, but it seems like the newer MINIs dont wave back as much, when I see another R53 9/10 I get a wave back. R56 about 7/10. If its F56+ about 5/10 times.

Back when I had my 2005 bought at the end of 2004 I got waves from everyone and even non MINI oners as they had never seen a MINI before and would stare at it. LOL

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-11-2019, 08:39 AM
B!ue
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sadly agree, less than 1/2 wave in CNY... personally trying to change that, have had a 1st Gen, 2nd Gen, and now Spankin new F56,.. wife and I wave @ EVERY MINI we come by. (btw, still prefer the R53)

Old 01-11-2019, 09:35 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
Nope and I stopped too.

There is an Admin on my local Mini group who I saw on the highway, literally coming onto the highway from an on-ramp, about 4 feet next to him. I waved like and idiot..... he drove right by.

Done

Old 01-11-2019, 09:39 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
"There is an Admin on my local Mini group who I saw on the highway, literally coming onto the highway from an on-ramp, about 4 feet next to him. I waved like and idiot..... he drove right by." Wow that's like removal from the MINI club back in the day.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-11-2019, 10:02 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Well said.

Old 01-11-2019, 11:59 AM
MiniAndo
3rd Gear
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
I'll agree with a lot that's been said here. I think it comes down to a combination of a disconnection from other road users in general and a shift in the average mini buyer from the days of "only small cars, only standard transmission".

We get less waves returned in the R61 JCW than we did in the R56, but still plenty from people who recognise it for the unicorn that it is. My wife always gives me crap for waving at FIATs while driving the JCW and waving at Minis while driving the Abarth.

I don't care about brand loyalty, in this day and age if you are driving something even remotely interesting and are having fun doing it, I'll give you a wave to acknowledge your status as someone who still gives a damn about cars.

Oh!, and I'll always wave to motorcycles when riding. The other rider commented that the habit of waving simply isn't being taught to newbies, and I think that's true. My wife just took a rider safety/skills course to get her motorcycle endorsement and they apparently didn't even mention waving to your fellow two-wheeled brethren. Sad days.

Last edited by MiniAndo; 01-11-2019 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:05 PM
7thmoosefromtheleft
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I live in south eastern pa and there are quite a few minis around especially because there is a dealer not 10 miles from me. No....one....ever....waves....
but I feel people are kinda s**** in this area and really into them selves so that could have a lot to do with it

Quick Reply: Does anyone wave anymore?