Horrific Mini Crash - North American Motoring

General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horrific Mini Crash

Old 10-11-2018, 09:02 PM
californiadreaming
1st Gear
Horrific Mini Crash

What are your thoughts on the safety of a Mini Cooper during a crash?

I just watched a horrific crash on youtube and it showing the victim dead in the mini. Horrible thing to see and what ticked me off the most was the poster posting his comment that it was more or less due to driving a small vehicle. I can't stress to everyone here and that drives any vehicle - drive defensive - drive safe -DO NOT TEXT AND DRIVE - in this video it appears he was rear ended. I don't know the exact cause of the accident but... prayers go out to him and his family. Even though this video is a year old it is a reminder to all of us... to be aware.

Old 10-12-2018, 06:13 AM
Derek86
5th Gear
Originally Posted by californiadreaming View Post
What are your thoughts on the safety of a Mini Cooper during a crash?
I accept driving a small car is more dangerous. But, I drive an F250 in the winter when the roads are more treacherous.

Old 10-12-2018, 06:19 AM
cristo
6th Gear
MINIs actually have pretty good crash ratings for their size, (except for maybe the 4-door ones).
I was impressed when someone turned left in front of me last fall resulting in my 2003 R50 being totaled.
The previous generation Ford F-150 pickup trucks (before 2004) did pretty damned awful in crash tests, so bigger isn't always better.

Old 10-12-2018, 06:19 AM
fridayxiii
5th Gear
I think this is the first & only incident I've seen where a driver or passenger in a MINI died during the crash. I've seen/read many more accounts where the MINI took the brunt of the damage but protected its owner well, and they walked away with minor injuries. I think ours are pretty sturdy little cars, and seem to do well in the crash tests. Sure, there are safer cars, but there are worse cars too, regardless of size. Any crash can kill if it's severe enough & if circumstances are just so, but by & large I feel safe in my MINI - at least as safe as in any other car (Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, Buick sedans) I've owned.

Old 10-12-2018, 06:49 AM
Mineeee
1st Gear
Id much rather try to brake and steer around a potential accident in a 2600lb zippy go cart handling Mini than a 4000lb F150 truck.

The best way to survive an accident is to not get into it in the first place.

Having said that, since moving to South Carolina my driving has become a lot more defensive as the drivers here are just terrible. Cell phone use and a lack of "hands free" rules dont help.

Old 10-16-2018, 03:01 PM
OCR
3rd Gear
I'm normally on a motorcycle in Los Angeles County morning and evening traffic...so this is a BIG step up for me..!

Mike