General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the Forum. Questions on Minis

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 07:22 PM
RC Tod
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to the Forum. Questions on Minis

Hello,
New to the forum. I have a question. I dont currently own a Mini but have been looking at them along with a couple of other cars. I'm looking for something fun for the wife and I to get out on the weekends and enjoy the trip. So, I've looked at everything from Jaguars, Mustangs, and Minis. We want something used, and dont want to spend 20K and up for a weekend car. I've seen these three cars at reasonable prices, with less than 75K on them. The problem with Jags is if I went that way I dont want anything less than a V8. And , the 4.0 Jag motor is junk, the 4.2 is good, but the maintenance cost is high. The Mustang is great, but a good example is pushing 20K or better unless I want a V6 or 4. I already own a V6 as an everyday car, so if I go Mustang for the weekends it has to be a V8 , which means were pushing 20 K again. Then comes the Mini. Plenty of them with less than 75K under $12,000. And a few good examples of the base Mini or S model around $8,000. What I dont know is what is the cost of ownership on a Mini? Do they break a lot? Are the cost of repairs and maintenance high? Are there flaws to look for? When you read the reviews it gets scary, but that true on anything. Seems people only review something if their angry. So what is the real scoop on owning a Mini? Thanks in advance!

Old 06-15-2018, 09:48 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
For fun road trips the 1st Gen S ('02 to '06 and '04 to '08 for the cabrio) is what to look for. The W11 engine and Getrag gear box are near bullet proof. There some annoying items that require attention. The strut towers require support braces and some of the O rings need replaced from time to time but not often. These are not drive 'em and forget 'em appliances. They need paid attention to under the bonnet. Tires need rotated every 5K and the canvas needs a biannual treatment with 303 or RaggTopp...you are looking for a drop head, aren't you? Topless motoring IS motoring at it's best. A PPI and service history should be expected.

My second car was a '63 E Jaguar. A damn sexy and fun car but that XK 4.2 engine and the triple SUs required constant attention and the Lucas prince of darkness was no fun either. I hit the starter button once and it burned my thumb pretty badly.

Last edited by Fly'n Brick; 06-15-2018 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:35 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
There is a good thread on buying a used Gen1 MINI here:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...gen1-mini.html

Old 06-16-2018, 03:32 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
Do you want a MINI or a Mini?

There is a difference .....

Old 06-16-2018, 06:59 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
I have both a 2014 Mustang and a 2012 MCS. Wife drives the Mini, I drive the Mustang. Bought the Mustang 3 years ago with 16k miles for $19.5 out the door. I've had ZERO problems with Mustang, can't say the same for the Mini (expensive to maintain and repair). I just happen to like good 'ol American HP.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:59 AM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts
MINIs are clearly not as trouble free as a Honda or Toyota, I would bet that they would be far more reliable than a Jaguar. The last few years of the Gen 1 and Gen 2 seem to be more reliable than the earlier years. MINI got the bugs worked out just before they changed the models.

I suggest that you take a step back and decide what you are looking for. Jaguar, Mustang and MINIs are extremely different cars and will provide different forms of driving fun. I suspect a Jaguar would provide a great comfortable drive in style. To compare to boats, I would think of a yacht. A Mustang would be great to go fast in a straight line (with less style in my opinion), perhaps like one of those long racing boats. The first generation MINI in particular is best to enjoy the drive off the highway. I would say that it would be similar to a smaller more maneuverable family boat, A motorcycle would be the next extreme, comparable to a jetski. The MINI is not a jetski.

I own a first Gen, 6-speed MINI S Convertible. I love it for driving the backroads and that will be its primary function after this summer. This summer, it is my primary vehicle for going to work, 36 miles of highway (half stop and go, half 70 miles/hour) and inner city traffic jams. It is the wrong vehicle for me for the daily driving. A second Gen (2012/2013) hardtop or convertible would be my choice for this summer's commute and might be a better balance for you between the raw fun of the first generation and the comfort of the Jaguar.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Old 06-17-2018, 09:31 AM
Snaps
4th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
For fun road trips the 1st Gen S ('02 to '06 and '04 to '08 for the cabrio) is what to look for. The W11 engine and Getrag gear box are near bullet proof. There some annoying items that require attention. The strut towers require support braces and some of the O rings need replaced from time to time but not often. These are not drive 'em and forget 'em appliances. They need paid attention to under the bonnet. Tires need rotated every 5K and the canvas needs a biannual treatment with 303 or RaggTopp...you are looking for a drop head, aren't you? Topless motoring IS motoring at it's best. A PPI and service history should be expected.

My second car was a '63 E Jaguar. A damn sexy and fun car but that XK 4.2 engine and the triple SUs required constant attention and the Lucas prince of darkness was no fun either. I hit the starter button once and it burned my thumb pretty badly.
^^^^Pretty much what this guy said. The only addition I would make is if you go with a Gen 1, I would recommend 2005 or 2006 for the coupe as those two model years provided a load of new additions and improvements to make the car that much better. Stuff such as better motor mounts, three-spoke steering wheel, closer gear ratios for better acceleration, a minor boost in power, and other fixes that plagued earlier models.

I think if you go Cabrio, 2005 or newer for the Gen 1 still applies, but I could be wrong on that. Someone else can correct me.

Old 06-17-2018, 03:24 PM
AnOldBiker
4th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 145 Likes on 138 Posts
welcome aboard

Old 06-18-2018, 11:45 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
Welcome.

I always suggest you go drive them all and decide which one you like the most.

Motor On!

Old 06-18-2018, 02:41 PM
ammodave
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
If you can live without a back seat and a large trunk, consider a Miata. Fun to drive with Japanese reliability.