General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MINI Forum Wars

Old 05-22-2018, 08:53 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts
Sorry boys, the golden era is a little old for me, I grew up New Generation and The Attitude Era.

Old 05-22-2018, 01:14 PM
Goldsmithy
MINI Alliance Ambassador
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Derek86
Sorry boys, the golden era is a little old for me, I grew up New Generation and The Attitude Era.

I think you made your first mistake when you 'grew up'. I was born in the 40's and still haven't grown up...

The following 3 users liked this post by Goldsmithy:
Dave.O (05-24-2018), MomMini (05-22-2018), vetsvette (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 04:44 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Goldsmithy
I think you made your first mistake when you 'grew up'. I was born in the 40's and still haven't grown up...
Well, yeah. I meant physically grew up.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:35 AM
downshift1
4th Gear
I've seen splits like this in other communities also and it never does any good for ether community as far as the sharing of information to help others.

Good job to work turn off the block.

Old 05-23-2018, 10:16 AM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Derek86
I saw the Miata online community fracture and divide up multiple times. I think it is inevitable because the only common interest for these forums is the cars. Even that is superficial at best. There are lots of MINI people that I have zero common interest with, even when it comes to the brand. I'm assuming similar circumstances were probably at play here beyond IB purchasing/owning the forum.
I think this forum has proven that a common interest in cars can be enough to hold together a community. A brand like MINI with a common theme can help the fans of different models communicate and contribute to a single community. The extreme variety within each model and the extent of modifications possible makes the conversation interesting. The flaws of various models in specific years allows members to help the newer members. We should strive to keep the conversation on our common interest and NAM will continue to be successful. I also participate in another brand's forum and it is sad that new members are not greeted and questions and cries for help go unanswered.

Imagine how interesting the Toyota Corolla forum must be.... "Hi my name is Bob. I bought a Blue Corolla... me too...me too ... Post some pictures... wow your state has the inspection sticker in the middle...Anything I can do to stop falling asleep when I am driving... Yea, Buy a MINI and start to enjoy driving..."

The following 2 users liked this post by miniCPA:
Dave.O (05-24-2018), Goldsmithy (05-25-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 08:23 PM
Dave.O
4th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
^^^^ lmao. Toyota Corolla forums hahahahaha

Old 05-27-2018, 07:59 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Good Idea or Bad Idea

After years of "feuding" with Motoring Alliance, a truce was called after I posted something about the matter and asked your opinions. Had no negative comments so a block of any Motoring Alliance was removed.

I visit both forums being a member of each. Have noticed that some here checked MA out and actually signed up. Yesterday in response to several posts I noted the following:

1.) Welcome to NAM any pictures?

Ever any questions drop us a post. We are also working with another MINI forum, Motoring Alliance, that also is a repository for some great MINI information. If you have any time, check them out.

2.) You might want to post a similar post over on Motoring Alliance. They are another MINI forum that we are working with in an effort to help any MINI owners out there. If you do, mention that we sent you over.

I wondered what would be thought and sure enough a good member made note:

While posts discussing other forums may be appropriate and allowed at times, directing new members to another forum without a unique reason implies that this forum is inadequate. IT IS NOT.

If we send away our new members, what will we become.

NAM remains the largest MINI Cooper Forum in the world and if you checked post numbers out, NAM dwarfs all other forum sites combined. What can be more unique than being the largest MINI Cooper Forum in the world? IMO helping the MINI community out regardless of model, year built or internet community the person belongs to.

NAM only exists because of the great members that post here and I cannot thank the member that asked the question enough.

What are your thoughts on this? Is the forum "alliance" a good thing and is NAM being negatively impacted by posting what I did?

The following users liked this post:
Goldsmithy (05-27-2018)
Old 05-27-2018, 08:58 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
I'll go with "Good Idea". We're not sending people away or saying NAM is not adequate. We're letting them know there is another good source of Mini info available.

The M/A guys are doing the same. I'm a member of four different Mini forums. Each has it's own unique personality, and often different points of view. But, keep in mind, we are all part of a small community called Mini enthusiasts. There's nothing wrong with sharing knowledge across boards.
This is not the "Bad old days" of us vs them.

Some days a Coke hits the spot. Other days it's gotta be a Pepsi. YMMV

Old 05-27-2018, 10:03 AM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts
In full disclosure, I am the member quoted.

I will say that the change to eliminate the block of the other forum is a great decision. However, references to other forums by our senior users, moderators and administrators should be done carefully. If something important is missing from the NAM forum, add it. If someone has a unique need that is not addressed here, members should be free to direct them to any resource that can be helpful (other forums, non-sponsoring vendors and so on). I don't support censorship for non-offensive content and members should be free to type what they want that is civil, legal and so on, however, we should do everything we can to make this the only MINI forum anyone would ever need.

The quick encouragement to the new owner from Ohio rubbed me the wrong way. He didn't express a need that is more complex than we as a community can support. Encouraging him to check out another forum in the introduction implies that there are significant deficiencies with this one. It would be like walking into a Fiat showroom and having the salesperson say have you had a chance to check out the new MINIs. They are great cars. It would be one thing if the salesperson encourages a customer to look at another brand if their product does not meet the needs of the customer, but the salesperson should have confidence in his product and believe it is the best vehicle on the market (or he should go elsewhere and sell the best product). We are advocates for MINI and our senior members, moderators and administrators (if not all members) should be advocates for the forum and be committed to making it the best forum possible.

The following 3 users liked this post by miniCPA:
bratling (05-31-2018), Derek86 (05-31-2018), Rich Rodichok (05-27-2018)
Old 05-27-2018, 10:15 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Thanks for the response. I sent the OP of the post a PM and asked him of his thoughts.

Relative to "we should do everything we can to make this the only MINI forum anyone would ever need," any ideas for improvements and/or changes?

Old 05-27-2018, 10:38 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by miniCPA
In full disclosure, I am the member quoted.

I will say that the change to eliminate the block of the other forum is a great decision. However, references to other forums by our senior users, moderators and administrators should be done carefully. If something important is missing from the NAM forum, add it. If someone has a unique need that is not addressed here, members should be free to direct them to any resource that can be helpful (other forums, non-sponsoring vendors and so on). I don't support censorship for non-offensive content and members should be free to type what they want that is civil, legal and so on, however, we should do everything we can to make this the only MINI forum anyone would ever need.

The quick encouragement to the new owner from Ohio rubbed me the wrong way. He didn't express a need that is more complex than we as a community can support. Encouraging him to check out another forum in the introduction implies that there are significant deficiencies with this one. It would be like walking into a Fiat showroom and having the salesperson say have you had a chance to check out the new MINIs. They are great cars. It would be one thing if the salesperson encourages a customer to look at another brand if their product does not meet the needs of the customer, but the salesperson should have confidence in his product and believe it is the best vehicle on the market (or he should go elsewhere and sell the best product). We are advocates for MINI and our senior members, moderators and administrators (if not all members) should be advocates for the forum and be committed to making it the best forum possible.
100% my feelings. I would have posted a similar comment but decided to not be the first on this issue as I was on the non political stuff in the past.

I was going to use a similar reference like walking into Costco and seeing all the employees wearing Amazon tee shirts.

miniCPA (05-27-2018)
Old 05-27-2018, 10:44 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
My suggestion for improvement-

first one I've always wanted was some method to force people to include the information of what car they own. Probably not an easy programming thing to accomplish but maybe some kind of welcome email or PM that encourages them to do so when signing up.

Old 05-27-2018, 11:39 AM
Goldsmithy
MINI Alliance Ambassador
I have been a member of both forums for years. I have the same feelings for each--they are both good. This brings to mind the movie, 'Miracle on 34th St.' where macy's Santa sent customers to Gimbels. The result was both stores benefited. This type of relationship will do nothing but benefit the whole MINI enthusiasts community.

The following 2 users liked this post by Goldsmithy:
Derek86 (05-31-2018), vetsvette (05-27-2018)
Old 05-27-2018, 01:30 PM
MCS02
MINI Alliance Ambassador
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
I have been a member here since 2005 and a member at MA since 2009. I as a Mod on MA am not trying to send members away nor do I think your Mods and Admen are trying to send anyone away. What we are trying to do is open things up so everyone can benefit. MA and NAM have different rules and personality, I don't think that makes one better than the other, they are different. Both sights are trying to make the best experience for their members. One way of doing this is building a relationship with other Mini communities. I look forwarded to cross posting and getting to know you guys and I hope you know you are welcome at MA. Its kind of like the neighbors kids, just because they visit doesn't mean your trying to steal them. It just makes it funner for the kids when they can bounce back and forth to each others house.

The following 2 users liked this post by MCS02:
Derek86 (05-31-2018), vetsvette (05-27-2018)
Old 05-28-2018, 09:26 AM
Sully.
Neutral
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
I’m a new member here - thanks to @Whine not Walnuts and in full disclosure I’m also the newish owner of Motoring Alliance. In my opinion the ultimate goal of forums, social media etc is to create a community of members that share information, enjoy driving, working on and socializing with other Mini owners. I don’t believe the goal of Whine not Walnuts is to point members to MA or any other forum. Instead its to let them know there are other sources of information. I know on MA we regualarly link to content on NAM to help a member out if we don’t already have it on MA. If ultimately that member comes to NAM, prefers this community more and doesn’t come back to MA that is a good thing. They found a place that fits them best. However what I see more often than not is members who span multiple forums and social media channels.

From my perspective, (whatever that is worth). Having the two larger US based forums working together is a good thing. With the rise in social media a lot of good content is posted only to disappear over time. With forums, its a stable community and information source. I see MA as NAM’s neighbor not competitor.... A rising tide lifts all boats. I.e. we all win by expanding the reach of our communities.

We have also been discussing the strengths of each community and ways we can use that to add value to the overall groups. We will see where that goes, but to me its been a fun few weeks putting ideas up on the wall and discussing them.

I know Whine not Walnuts and everyone else involved appreciates the feedback, thoughts and comments.

Josh

The following 3 users liked this post by Sully.:
bratling (05-31-2018), Derek86 (05-31-2018), vetsvette (05-28-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 10:35 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Posts # 57 through # 65 were in the Site Feedback area but I have merged them with the MINI Forum War thread that was in General MINI talk. The key to what I did can be summed up by a previous comment: NAM remains the largest MINI Cooper Forum in the world and if you checked post numbers out, NAM dwarfs all other forum sites combined. What can be more unique than being the largest MINI Cooper Forum in the world? IMO helping the MINI community out regardless of model, year built or internet community the person belongs to.

I have stubbed my toe numerous times in the past so if I screwed up this time, please let me know.

Rich Rodichok (05-31-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 02:30 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by Whine not Walnuts
I wondered what would be thought and sure enough a good member made note:

While posts discussing other forums may be appropriate and allowed at times, directing new members to another forum without a unique reason implies that this forum is inadequate. IT IS NOT.

If we send away our new members, what will we become.
That's some paranoid bull. Referring someone to another resource is showing your confidence and wealth of useful information. If we send them a good resource, they'll remember that help and return.

Life is not zero sum. Just because someone is active on MA doesn't mean they can't also be active on NAM. Just like you can read Cosmo and Vogue. Err, I mean Jaloknik and Motor Trend.

WNW, you did a fine thing by telling new members that there is more to the Mini Internet than just http://www.NorthAmericanMotoring.com. Keep it up.

EDIT: After writing this, I saw MiniCPA's post. Although I disagree with some of what he wrote, it's thoughtful and considered. Thank you for contributing to the discussion.

Last edited by bratling; 05-31-2018 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Trying to be less of a jerk :)
The following 2 users liked this post by bratling:
squawSkiBum (05-31-2018), Sully. (06-05-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 03:25 PM
Dave.O
4th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Ok I have been a member of both sites for a long time. Yes, I was banned from NAM for a long time because of not agreeing with older Mods that were on a “power trip”. It was a lot different back in the old days with little clicks and stuff that got way out of hand. All that stuff is water under the bridge and really has been forgotten. Those people are no longer here and all is forgiven. I have matured and turned past that page in my life.

I have been posting helpful information on here (NAM) for a while now and I have enjoyed reading what has been going on. I agree 100% the NAM is by far and away then largest site / fourm for MINI and has been for a long time. In no way I am saying M\A members should post “click on this link, M\A has the info you are looking for” as that would not be cool at all. I am just glad it is now possible to post a link to a “how too” or a conversation to either site going either way. Heck I have posted links to NAM on M\A for people looking for parts that are listed in the NAM Marketplace for sale. I am just trying to help both members buy and sell the parts each other has for sale and the person that needs the part.

With that being said I have been a member of M\A since day 1 of its existence. M\A is not a site in competition with NAM at all. It’s is just another MINI website / fourm with a different personalities but we all have the same obsession with MINI’s.

The banning of the M\A link was silly thing done a long time ago during the Fourm “cold wars” and it was about time to end that silly act for the good of the MINI community.

Ok that was like my longest post ever so happy posting everyone.

The following 5 users liked this post by Dave.O:
ashchuckton (06-02-2018), Derek86 (06-01-2018), squawSkiBum (05-31-2018), Sully. (06-05-2018), vetsvette (05-31-2018)