General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy my first mini. Need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 08:39 AM
TRAVR6
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looking to buy my first mini. Need help

I am in the market for my first mini cooper. Looking for a decent car good on gas to drive instead of my F150 every day.

What are some of the key failures or issues with these that I need to be aware of?
I am looking for a used mini below 2010.
I have been reading that the first gens are more reliable than the 2nd gen? Any truth to that? Should I only look at 2002-2006?

I am a decent mechanic so I have no problem buying a mechanics special. I just don't want to to get into engine swaps or transmission fixes.
Is the manual or automatic more reliable in these?

Is one engine better than another?
Nearly every one I found had some sort of missfire. Is this common? Is it an usually an easy fix or is a symptom of major failure?

Any bullet points you can give will be greatly appreciated.
I read this thread but it doesn't talk about issues or things to look out for.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...gen1-mini.html

My main must haves.
Stick shift
S model

Beyond that I am not real concerned

Old 03-27-2018, 09:28 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Welcome to NAM, hopefully you find a good MINI. Have you checked out the below thread on Buying a Gen1 MINI? The early Gen2's had the N14 that some have had good luck with while others curse the day they saw the car. The Gen1's have the cast iron block Tritec that has some say is "bulletproof'. The R50 Justa is good little car as long as you stay away from the automatic. The supercharged R53 and R52S will not get the mileage of the R50 but do have a better 6-speed stick (the R50 has a 5-speed).

In the below thread, Nick from Detroit Tuned that is a vendor here that also does service work, has a good write up on a PPI.

Old 03-27-2018, 12:15 PM
TRAVR6
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Whine not Walnuts
Welcome to NAM, hopefully you find a good MINI. Have you checked out the below thread on Buying a Gen1 MINI? The early Gen2's had the N14 that some have had good luck with while others curse the day they saw the car. The Gen1's have the cast iron block Tritec that has some say is "bulletproof'. The R50 Justa is good little car as long as you stay away from the automatic. The supercharged R53 and R52S will not get the mileage of the R50 but do have a better 6-speed stick (the R50 has a 5-speed).

In the below thread, Nick from Detroit Tuned that is a vendor here that also does service work, has a good write up on a PPI.

Yes I checked out the thread you linked. I posted the link saying I had read it.

When you say "early gen 2's" are there certain years to stay away from?

Old 03-27-2018, 12:20 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Best advice I can give is take it to a MINI mechanic and have it inspected. I can't tell you how many times people bring me cars and say check it out I just bought it. Then I hand them a $4000 est and say why did you buy this? It may cost $50-100 upfront but well worth it long term and may also give you negotiating power.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
The following 2 users liked this post by WayMotorWorks:
Oldboy Speedwell (04-04-2018), TRAVR6 (03-27-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 12:39 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Sorry I missed that you had read the HTB thread.

On the Gen2's the N14 was in place through model year 2010. After that time the change depended on the model and the year.

Old 03-27-2018, 01:27 PM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts
I am in agreement with what was said by others. When I started looking at MINIs, I looked a Consumer Reports. The reliability chart shows the most reliable MINIs are the last years of each generation. While I am not a huge follower of CR, the comments I have heard throughout the forum explain CR's results. 2005/2006 and 2012/2013 appear to be the best years.

The following users liked this post:
TRAVR6 (03-27-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 01:31 PM
TRAVR6
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Best advice I can give is take it to a MINI mechanic and have it inspected. I can't tell you how many times people bring me cars and say check it out I just bought it. Then I hand them a $4000 est and say why did you buy this? It may cost $50-100 upfront but well worth it long term and may also give you negotiating power.
I am a mechanic by trade.
Just not on this particular vehicle.

My question i guess is.....
Are there any specific issues to look for on specific models or any specific engine/transmissions to stay away from?

Every vehicle tends to have a few key failure points or certain years to stay away from.

I can fix just about anything. I really don't want to go too deep into the engine though.
Swapping out a transmission or replacing a head gasket isn't too bad.
I don't want to do rings and pistons though.

I have been looking mainly at the 2002-2006 S models with manual transmissions.
I haven't been looking at the 2007+ because from the research I have found they tend to have more issues.

I am looking for a cheap car that might have minor issues anyways so taking it to a Mini specific mechanic probably won't be in the cards.

Old 03-27-2018, 01:33 PM
TRAVR6
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by miniCPA
I am in agreement with what was said by others. When I started looking at MINIs, I looked a Consumer Reports. The reliability chart shows the most reliable MINIs are the last years of each generation. While I am not a huge follower of CR, the comments I have heard throughout the forum explain CR's results. 2005/2006 and 2012/2013 appear to be the best years.
That's a big help.

I sometimes see them listed as 2002-2006 and also 2006-2010.
Is the 2006 model a 1st gen or gen2? Did they have a split year like the Jettas or is a 2006 completely a 1st gen?

Old 03-27-2018, 01:34 PM
TRAVR6
2nd Gear
Sorry I missed that you had read the HTB thread.

On the Gen2's the N14 was in place through model year 2010. After that time the change depended on the model and the year.
I see you have an 07. That would be the first year of the gen 2 correct?
Have you had any major issues out of it?

Old 03-27-2018, 05:38 PM
jasonp
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
like many others have said the late 1st gens are great. i have an 05 R52 witch is an s and i love it. I am also a mechanic by trade just not on cars to much any more. " heavy machinery" To be honest I like working on my MINI. noting terribly hard to work on. if you really have to get in there once the car is in service mode everything is nice and easy to reach. Now I may be biased but when I bought my MINI I test drove allot of them and found the R53 to be my favorite. If you decide to go with a first gen few thing to look out for. if you are looking at R50 run and i mean run from from the auto trans. the auto on the R53 is fine. in terms of everything else just have it looked at by a mini tech like way said.

Last edited by jasonp; 03-27-2018 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:53 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by TRAVR6
I am in the market for my first mini cooper. Looking for a decent car good on gas to drive instead of my F150 every day.

What are some of the key failures or issues with these that I need to be aware of?
I am looking for a used mini below 2010.
I have been reading that the first gens are more reliable than the 2nd gen? Any truth to that? Should I only look at 2002-2006?

I am a decent mechanic so I have no problem buying a mechanics special. I just don't want to to get into engine swaps or transmission fixes.
Is the manual or automatic more reliable in these?

Is one engine better than another?
Nearly every one I found had some sort of missfire. Is this common? Is it an usually an easy fix or is a symptom of major failure?

Any bullet points you can give will be greatly appreciated.
I read this thread but it doesn't talk about issues or things to look out for.

My main must haves.
Stick shift
S model

Beyond that I am not real concerned
Problem with looking at all the posts here on a daily basis is reading through the entire post and comprehending what was said. I was the lead in preparing the How to Buy a Used Gen1 and I would have thought I addressed common issues. I read the thread again as it was bugging me and included is: If you take the time to read through the last two articles you will note there are common issues with the Gen1 cars, many due to the age. Over time seals dry out and two in particular are the crank seal next to the belt pulley and the crank sensor o-ring. For the R50, the CVT automatic has had many issues and the replacement cost will put you "up side down" in what the car is worth versus the cost you have in it. For all models, the plastic engine coolant tank is prone to split.

TRAVR6 (03-28-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 07:41 AM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
I sometimes see them listed as 2002-2006 and also 2006-2010.
Is the 2006 model a 1st gen or gen2? Did they have a split year like the Jettas or is a 2006 completely a 1st gen?
The 1st Gen Hatchback (R50 and R53) was built through November 2006. The first 2nd Gen (R56) was a 2007 model.

The 1st Gen Convertible (R52) was built through July 2008. The first 2nd Gen (R57) was a 2009 model.

TRAVR6 (03-28-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 11:19 AM
TRAVR6
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jasonp
like many others have said the late 1st gens are great. i have an 05 R52 witch is an s and i love it. I am also a mechanic by trade just not on cars to much any more. " heavy machinery" To be honest I like working on my MINI. noting terribly hard to work on. if you really have to get in there once the car is in service mode everything is nice and easy to reach. Now I may be biased but when I bought my MINI I test drove allot of them and found the R53 to be my favorite. If you decide to go with a first gen few thing to look out for. if you are looking at R50 run and i mean run from from the auto trans. the auto on the R53 is fine. in terms of everything else just have it looked at by a mini tech like way said.
Definitely only looking for a manual transmission

Old 03-28-2018, 11:24 AM
TRAVR6
2nd Gear
Problem with looking at all the posts here on a daily basis is reading through the entire post and comprehending what was said. I was the lead in preparing the How to Buy a Used Gen1 and I would have thought I addressed common issues. I read the thread again as it was bugging me and included is: If you take the time to read through the last two articles you will note there are common issues with the Gen1 cars, many due to the age. Over time seals dry out and two in particular are the crank seal next to the belt pulley and the crank sensor o-ring. For the R50, the CVT automatic has had many issues and the replacement cost will put you "up side down" in what the car is worth versus the cost you have in it. For all models, the plastic engine coolant tank is prone to split.
Yeah I saw that part but most seem like normal older car issues aside from the CVT transmission and I want a manual so that didn't bother me.
If you’re buying a First Gen MINI, you need to understand about these early cars. You need to know the parts that have often caused trouble (like coolant tanks and CVT trannies and oil seals, and engine software, and, and and…) If this car you are thinking of buying is a daily driver or is a car that must be relied upon to get you where you need to go without fail, as opposed to a project car or a weekend fun car, think long and hard before buying a First Gen MINI. And never count on breakdown insurance to bail you out.
The only thing I saw was that scared me a bit was the engine software.
What is that all about?

Old 04-03-2018, 05:23 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Yes I checked out the thread you linked. I posted the link saying I had read it.

When you say "early gen 2's" are there certain years to stay away from?
Definitely. 2007-2010 Cooper S and Clubman S. 2009-2010 convertible Cooper S. 2007-2012 JCW. The common thread here is the N14 engine.

a 2005-06 hardtop S or a 2005-2007 Convertible S are likely to be the most reliable. They are old enough they will need some maintenance work, supercharger service, and possibly a power steering pump. But they are unlikely to completely die on you, and don’t have Nearly as many chronic failure modes as the later cars.

if you happen across a 2011 S model, it’s probably s safe bet. But that’s outside your target range.

TRAVR6 (04-04-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 06:19 AM
TRAVR6
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by bratling

Definitely. 2007-2010 Cooper S and Clubman S. 2009-2010 convertible Cooper S. 2007-2012 JCW. The common thread here is the N14 engine.

a 2005-06 hardtop S or a 2005-2007 Convertible S are likely to be the most reliable. They are old enough they will need some maintenance work, supercharger service, and possibly a power steering pump. But they are unlikely to completely die on you, and don’t have Nearly as many chronic failure modes as the later cars.

if you happen across a 2011 S model, it’s probably s safe bet. But that’s outside your target range.
Meaning the N14 engines are the best or stay away from the N14?

Makes me feel better reading what you wrote.

I have been looking specifically for the 2005-2006 manual hardtops.

What is special about the 2011 S model that makes it a safe bet?

Old 04-04-2018, 06:24 AM
PokerMunkee
2nd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Stick with a 2005-2006 hard top (R53). If you want a convertible, 2008 was last year of gen 1 (R52). The supercharger whine is worth it. Everything I've read said to get a 2012/2013 if you want something newer with the turbo. Was out of my budget, so I went with the best Gen 1 I could afford.

Should be able to find something nice for sub $5k. I paid $7400 for my 2008 fully loaded MT6 convertible with 53k miles a couple weeks ago. These cars are a blast! Make sure you understand the different packages. The HIDs, auto climate, auto headlights, rain sensing wipers and heated seats were a must on my list.

Old 04-04-2018, 06:32 AM
TRAVR6
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee
Stick with a 2005-2006 hard top (R53). If you want a convertible, 2008 was last year of gen 1 (R52). The supercharger whine is worth it. Everything I've read said to get a 2012/2013 if you want something newer with the turbo. Was out of my budget, so I went with the best Gen 1 I could afford.

Should be able to find something nice for sub $5k. I paid $7400 for my 2008 fully loaded MT6 convertible with 53k miles a couple weeks ago. These cars are a blast! Make sure you understand the different packages. The HIDs, auto climate, auto headlights, rain sensing wipers and heated seats were a must on my list.
Definitely do not want a convertible.
I am not too concerned with the features. I am pretty old school. I would prefer crank windows if I could get them.
The 02-06 hardtop was my original intent so it's good to hear they have a good track record.
I was already looking for the 05-06 just because they were the newest of that gen.

What is the difference between the 02-03 and the 05-06?

Old 04-04-2018, 06:36 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
The articles in the How to Buy thread has more detail but the 05/06s are known as the facelift models. Interior is a little different relative to the speedo/radio console, the bumpers are a little different, the supercharges have a teflon type coating and the transmission ratios are different.

TRAVR6 (04-04-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 12:35 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Meaning the N14 engines are the best or stay away from the N14?

Makes me feel better reading what you wrote.

I have been looking specifically for the 2005-2006 manual hardtops.

What is special about the 2011 S model that makes it a safe bet?
Sorry for being unclear: Avoid the N14 engines (unless you are feeling lucky and have good service records that all the usual failure modes have been addressed recently). The 2011 uses the later N18 design, which is basically an N14 with intake VANOS and a correctly specified chain tensioner (the root of most N14 trouble, aside from the water pump, fuel pump and thermostat). I’m confident enough in this engine that I bought a 2014 Countryman S for my spouse.

Regarding the 05-06 models you asked about in another message, I’ll add that basically by that year they had found and resolved the biggest problems with the platform. Consider that model years 2001-02 was basically a brand new, completely from scratch car design with no benefit of any preexisting work. It was bound to have a few design flaws that only became apparent after a couple years in the real world, and it did.

TRAVR6 (04-04-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 01:48 PM
TRAVR6
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by bratling
Consider that model years 2001-02 was basically a brand new, completely from scratch car design with no benefit of any preexisting work. It was bound to have a few design flaws that only became apparent after a couple years in the real world, and it did.
That makes perfect sense

Old 04-06-2018, 06:42 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
Welcome.

I won't say what are my favorites, but you will get an idea from my signature block

Motor On!

Old 04-13-2018, 04:16 PM
DamnCampers
3rd Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
The articles in the How to Buy thread has more detail but the 05/06s are known as the facelift models. Interior is a little different relative to the speedo/radio console, the bumpers are a little different, the supercharges have a teflon type coating and the transmission ratios are different.
Not to mention the possiblity of a LSD and some changes in the egine bay as well.

Old 04-27-2018, 08:17 PM
TRAVR6
2nd Gear
Thanks for the info.

Picked up a 2006 S model yesterday. Time to do a bunch of research on preventative maintenance must do's /mods/ etc....

cmt52663 (08-20-2022)
Old 04-27-2018, 08:18 PM
TRAVR6
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by JABowders
Welcome.

I won't say what are my favorites, but you will get an idea from my signature block

Motor On!
I didn't know what an MC40 was until I watched the new Wheeler Dealers.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy my first mini. Need help