General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo/speaker upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 06:18 PM
Dasmurph85
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stereo/speaker upgrade?

I have a base 2008 Cooper hardtop with the base stereo. It has, as I’m sure anyone that’s ever heard one knows, awful. If I upgrade the speakers would that help at all? Or am I better off trying to find a decent stereo and speaker system upgrade? Not sure how that’d work with everything being built in to the speedometer but hoping to make even a bit of an improvement.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:50 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Bavsound speakers will be a big improvement to those stock speakers. Adding more power with an amp will make you happy. Since you didn't mention it I assume you don't have the HK setup. Try the speakers first.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:58 PM
Dasmurph85
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Bavsound speakers will be a big improvement to those stock speakers. Adding more power with an amp will make you happy. Since you didn't mention it I assume you don't have the HK setup. Try the speakers first.
definitely don’t have the hk setup. Wish so bad i did. Not looking for epic sound but wasn’t hoping speakers would at least improve and I did also read that adding an amp could help also. I’ll see what i can find! Thanks!

Old 03-27-2018, 07:37 AM
Shineywheels
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The following percentages aren't accurate just illustrative. Better speakers will improve the sound 20%, an amp will improve the sound 20%. An amp and speakers will improve the sound 150%. The good news is that wiring the amp is easy, there is the X9331 connector behind the left kick panel. Take the speaker output from there and put it thru a high level input amp (or convertor+amp). Don't forget to put in plenty of sound deadening while door cards etc are off.

Old 03-27-2018, 09:06 AM
Shineywheels
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I forgot to mention pre-LCI (i.e. your 2008) cars had reduced bass going to the rear speakers so it helps to do a channel swap. Take the rear speaker feed to the front input on the amp and the front speaker feed to the rear input on the amp, this helps as the rear 6x9's can handle the bass better than the front 6.5's.

Old 04-03-2018, 05:57 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by Dasmurph85
I have a base 2008 Cooper hardtop with the base stereo. It has, as I’m sure anyone that’s ever heard one knows, awful. If I upgrade the speakers would that help at all? Or am I better off trying to find a decent stereo and speaker system upgrade? Not sure how that’d work with everything being built in to the speedometer but hoping to make even a bit of an improvement.
As others here said doing speakers and amp is best. Speakers alone will be an improvement but adding an amp takes it up to a whole ’nother level.

On my 2009 I replaced the front door speakers with a set of Infinity Reference 6500CX components (current version is the 6520CX). I picked up some A-pillar trim with the location for tweeters from the premium sound option, and simply hot glued the Infinty tweeters into place. The crossovers tucked nicely inside the dash.

i installed a JL Audio XD200/2 amp under the passenger seat. I originally bought a less expensive and bulkier amp; it didn’t fit. The XD was just the ticket.

This combination was fantastic. Clear and precise, with plenty of power for bass you can feel.

Between speakers, amp, pure copper wiring, A-pillars, and an X9331 audio harness from Integral Audio, I think I spent around $900. You could spend less and still get quite satisfactory results.

or, for a little more, you could get IA’s incredibly well reviewed SoundStage kit. It’s tuned for each specific model of MINI and is really the best option around, if it’s in the budget.