General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Software Update ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 06:53 AM
chefjoseph
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Software Update ?

When was the last time there was a Software update of any kind ? I know BMW was notoriously slow with theirs and STILL does not list any recent iPhone as compatible.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:38 AM
chefjoseph
2nd Gear
I'm overwhelmed by the response...

Old 10-16-2017, 09:45 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
You provided zero information as regards to what model, year, etc. What did you expect?

Old 10-16-2017, 08:29 PM
Lefooey
1st Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I’m curious of the same myself, actually. I have a 2017 F54S All 4 with Connected XL + Nav. I’ve done the searches online, but most go to dead pages on either the MINI or BMW website. I know the update is done via the USB port, so in theory it should be something downloadable.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:00 PM
Kodan
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Lefooey
I’m curious of the same myself, actually. I have a 2017 F54S All 4 with Connected XL + Nav. I’ve done the searches online, but most go to dead pages on either the MINI or BMW website. I know the update is done via the USB port, so in theory it should be something downloadable.
Are you wanting Nav map updates or software for the car? The car software gets updated as needed when you are in for service(at least that's been my experience).

The Nav updates are a different beast. First you have to buy a code that allows you to update the maps( some are one use some are two years and some (not sure if this is valid anymore) are unlimited). These codes are just generated based on VIN and there is no way for BMW to tell if they sold you the code or someone cheaper on the net sold it to you. I have found that code for a two year to be from $50-$150 depending on the vendor. You can order from one online mini dealer the two year for $85 if you dig through their parts catalog.

THEN once you have that first code you purchase the map pack from BMW/MINI for $40. There are usually two updates to the maps every year(might not be accurate anymore). Of course as with the other code you can get the map files cheaper at other sources.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:47 PM
chefjoseph
2nd Gear
Unfortunately, I do not have Nav. Just Mini Connected and Advanced Bluetooth.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:03 PM
chefjoseph
2nd Gear
2017 F56 Midnight Black. Delivered 8/21/17

Last edited by squawSkiBum; 10-24-2017 at 10:21 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:01 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
It is difficult to provide useful advice without context. Understanding what model, year, etc. is important so that those with knowledge can be helpful. There is a big difference between a 2003 R50 and a 2017 F56.

If you have spent any time reading NAM or any other auto related forum, you will have seen that the first response to questions such as your original post is to ask year, model, and (for mechanical issues) mileage. It's not at all useless, it is necessary so any advice will be pertinent to your car.

I see you added that in your sig - now maybe someone can comment.

Last edited by squawSkiBum; 10-24-2017 at 10:23 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:25 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
Did some pruning and cleanup. Let's stay on topic and see if anyone has some advice for the OP.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:38 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by chefjoseph
When was the last time there was a Software update of any kind ?
You need to ask the dealer to check if there are any pending updates for your car (based on VIN). In general, BMW doesn't inform the public about updates (unless it's a safety recall) and they avoid updating software unless the customer is complaining about a problem.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:56 PM
Minicoopersmodel
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there a website to check if my vehicle has the latest software?

Old 12-13-2017, 09:11 PM
slynch19
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I brought my 2016 F55 S in for service in November, and there were two software updates that were performed:
M120217 Service Action Program Control Units
M120617 Service Action Program Control Units (DME)

My MINI Connected System version now says (as a result of the software upgrade presumably):
Media: MB-001.058.001
Phone: TB-001.058.001

One (or both) of those two updates changed the interface/menu of the MINI Connected system in the vehicle. It seems quite buggy, however. The app on my iPhone does not display Average Speed, Average Consumption, or Total Mileage anymore ("--" in place of what used to be numbers). Also, TuneIn Radio no longer works with the MINI Connected System.

I can't find any information on the MINI website or anywhere else about what those software updates included or what those Media and Phone versions mean. I have tried to file a report on the MINI Connectivity Support site, but that page, just like the rest of the MINI Connectivity website, is pretty bad and does not accept the CAPTCHA at the bottom of the page. Whenever I had previously gone to the MINI Connectivity Software Update page, and entered my VIN, it always told me my software was up to date...it still does. Not sure how accurate it is, or if it would ever give you the option to update your vehicle software yourself through the USB. The software update at the dealership took several hours.