General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best time to buy parts?

Old 11-16-2017, 08:34 AM
triumph442
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best time to buy parts?

Hi all, this is the first car that I've owned that i'm interested in modifying (08 MCS). I'm not looking to make it a race car but just enough to make it fun and stand out of the crowd. I'm a college kid and don't really have the spare cash, was wondering if there's a good time of the year to buy parts. (considering there's not much used in my area) Do any of these websites have discounts near the end of the year or black Friday ect? Do the prices ever change?

Old 11-16-2017, 08:56 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
most run an e-mail mailing list and run specials regularly

will they offer what you are looking for?????

example

near the top of OUTMOTORING.COM page

others list their monthly specials routinely, WAY puts 'em right on the first page ....

http://waymotorworks.com/

Old 11-16-2017, 09:34 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
Well, this can be a whole can of worms... Best time to buy?

When it is on SALE (great for things you know you will need, not so good for things you may never need or use).

When the replacement of one part will lead to the prevention of a major issue from happening.

But for a limited budget I would say make you list of things you want, prioritize it, then keep your eye on the sales and flyers. Also keep checking the Market Place listings, it great to re-purpose used parts.

Best of luck.

Motor On!

Old 11-16-2017, 09:35 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by JABowders
Well, this can be a whole can of worms...
I'm going there.

Originally Posted by triumph442
I'm a college kid and don't really have the spare cash.
Then don't buy parts. You are driving a relatively new car as a cash strapped college student. You're already in a position where repairs and replacement are more costly. Don't spend money you don't have, save the money you do have for emergencies or when you graduate and need to get yourself established.

Old 11-16-2017, 09:40 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
We have some sales coming up soon for the black Friday/holiday time. You can sign up your email on our site. We will have more info soon on whats going on sale. Just keep a heads up on vendor announcement on this forum. We just had a sale on genuine which does not happen often. I would say coming up is the best time as most aftermarket and performance parts only go on sale once a year and now is the time. Other then that Spring time is the second largest I would say.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 11-16-2017, 09:01 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
I wouldn't call an 08 MCS "relatively new", it's ~10 years old and based on the unsolicited trade-in offer letter I got in the mail for my 2012 MCS, it was probably a relatively inexpensive purchase. That said, I have to agree with the rest of what Derek86 said. I remember being a poor college student and barely able to afford a car, working on it myself just to keep the damn thing running. You may have some expensive maintenance items ahead of you, budget and plan for it. Forget about cosmetic modifications. Only think about functional modifications once you have done the work to make sure you have a reliable car to start with.

1) visit the Gen2 forums, check out the FAQ and the Stock Problems/Issues sections to understand what maintenance items to make sure you have checked and addressed as necessary. First priority is to keep the car functional. You didn't say how many miles are on the car or what condition it is in, but tires, brakes, battery, carbon blasting, HPFP, vacuum pump, etc. all may need attention/replacement in the near future.

2) Next, check out the FAQ thread and Gen2 Modifications section to understand possible mods for your car. Some are inexpensive, others not.

3) Then do as suggested above - watch the Marketplace, check out the NAM vendors for sales, and be patient.

Old 11-16-2017, 10:15 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by Derek86
I'm going there.

Then don't buy parts. You are driving a relatively new car as a cash strapped college student. You're already in a position where repairs and replacement are more costly. Don't spend money you don't have, save the money you do have for emergencies or when you graduate and need to get yourself established.

Old 11-17-2017, 04:46 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
Originally Posted by squawSkiBum
I wouldn't call an 08 MCS "relatively new", it's ~10 years old and based on the unsolicited trade-in offer letter I got in the mail for my 2012 MCS, it was probably a relatively inexpensive purchase.
I guess it's a matter of perspective. It's way nicer and newer than anything I drove until I had been working after college for 4 or 5 years.

I'll up the ante from "you should buy used car parts" to "you should only buy parts if you can somehow not spend any money on the acquisition of parts." It's possible, but it's not easy.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:48 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
Let's lighten up on the new guy - sheesh, I have become my parents. "Be responsible! Think of your future!" I remember when I was in college, I could barely afford gas, one time I dropped my date off and then ran out of gas a few hundred yards later. I had to walk home, at least she didn't. Oh, to be young again.

Triumph442, what kind of mods did you have in mind?

Old 11-18-2017, 04:35 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
Originally Posted by squawSkiBum
Let's lighten up on the new guy - sheesh, I have become my parents. "Be responsible! Think of your future!" I remember when I was in college, I could barely afford gas, one time I dropped my date off and then ran out of gas a few hundred yards later. I had to walk home, at least she didn't. Oh, to be young again.

Triumph442, what kind of mods did you have in mind?
Tell me about it man, these Progressive commercials are hitting pretty close to home.

When I was in college I had a 91 K1500 that I patched the frame about 5 times for state inspection and still managed to buy tires that were big and knobby that I didn't need to spend the money on.

Old 11-18-2017, 01:50 PM
Subw00er
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Outmotoring has a good sale now. Use code bk2017.

Old 11-21-2017, 02:05 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Here are some sale info coming up and some sales right now:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...sale-ever.html

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172

Last edited by ECSTuning; 11-27-2017 at 07:52 AM.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:51 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Cyber Monday is up.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4347977

Old 12-01-2017, 07:04 AM
RYANR56
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Have a game plan on what stuff you want to do first. I bought almost everything on my car from Mario. His call tag is Mariokart on this website. He gave me a better price than anyone out there. He’s a dealer for almost everything out there as well

Old 12-01-2017, 09:17 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
The answer is yes

Its always a good time to buy parts.

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (12-01-2017)

Search this Thread